Posted 2009-July-01, 14:29
To make 3NT, we need the spade King to the right.
If spades split 3-3, and RHO has the King, we can establish spades without any risk of LHO getting in in that suit. That gets us up to three spades, a heart, two diamonds, and two clubs, for 8 tricks. We would then have a possibility of a club-diamond squeeze.
So, suppose I now lead a diamond toward dummy, planning to cover LHO's card. If I casn play the 9, RHO will win and presumably might return a diamond, say. I now win the King and play a spade to the Ace and out. If RHO pops King and plays another diamond, won in dummy, I cross to the spade Queen, back to dummy's club King, and cash the set-up spade, perhaps squeezing RHO in diamonds and clubs.
I may be off somewhat, and there may be counters.
But, if LHO has five hearts, and if he needs exactly three cards in either spades or clubs to have any chance, then he might well have 5332 shape with three in the needed black suit. If he has three spades, then 3532 allows this line to succeed. 3523 also allows success if LHO errs or does not have any top club honor.
Since the bidding is not provided, but we know LHO to have five hearts, I suspect some sort of 5332 as the actual layout.
So, my inclination, after all of this, is to run along these lines, of working on spades for three tricks and some sort of diamond-club squeeze on rightie.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."
-P.J. Painter.
You arrive at 3NT from your side of the table. (This was board 1, rotatated so that declarer (you) were sitting "south". First three tricks were:
1. W ♥3-6-K-4
2. E ♥9-7-J-8
3. W ♥2-T-♠4-♥A