BBO Discussion Forums: everyone likes their hands - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

everyone likes their hands

#1 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-30, 08:29

Both vul, IMPs

♠AKx
♥KQx
♦Qxx
♣xxxx

(1NT) - 2♠ - (3♦) - ?

1NT was 15-17. You are not playing any type of conventional defense to 1NT.

Edit: 3♦ is natural and forcing.
0

#2 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-30, 09:27

3♠
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#3 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-June-30, 09:30

Is 3♦ normal? This is crazy so far.

I don't see any reason to do anything other than 3♠. My guess is that partner is 6-4. 500 is possible but I'd bet 200 is the worst we'd come out which is wtp. If OP is asking if I bid 4♠ that's crazy, imo.
Kevin Fay
0

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-30, 09:32

I think this is close, obviously partner is light but being light and vul means he has a lot of shape, so game could make without many values. But ok, I'll settle for 3.

Edit: Thinking more I want to change to 4. Either opponent could be a joker at this vul as well and we could simply have game values. 4, final answer.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#5 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-30, 09:42

I'm settling with 3, although this is quite close... Give partner QJxxxx xx x KQJx and game is making easy, whereas QJxxxx x xx KQJx and it's down. I don't think we are going down in 3 however. IRL knowing myself, I would bid 4 :P.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#6 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,157
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-30, 09:48

3S.

I have AK in partners suit, which should be a 6 carder,
and since he is broke a 7 carder is more likely.
But I am not bidding 4S, I dont want to suggest a sac. against
5D, we should have a fair chance of beating it, and I dont think
they can make 3NT, if partner attacks spade.

With kind regards
Marlowe

PS: I would go in with light values, so hitting me with one of the
suggested hands for 2S is not highly likely.
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#7 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-June-30, 10:12

I'd tend to go with Josh's line of reasoning and bid 4♠. The 3♦ bidder could easily be the joker here; at this vul, partner will have some valuable distribution.
0

#8 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-30, 10:51

Now that some responses have come out, let's say you bid 4♠. Two passes to RHO, who bids 5♦. It's your call again.
0

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-30, 11:08

If you were going to bid game you should have bid 4♦. Then you could pass 5♦.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#10 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-30, 11:28

I assume if I bid 3♠, RHO bids 4♦? I would then double.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#11 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-June-30, 11:29

Phil, on Jun 30 2009, 12:28 PM, said:

I assume if I bid 3♠, RHO bids 4♦? I would then double.

I'm not sure what this is all about. I'd be surprised if partner and I could take 3 tricks on defense, let alone 4.
Kevin Fay
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-30, 11:35

kfay, on Jun 30 2009, 12:29 PM, said:

Phil, on Jun 30 2009, 12:28 PM, said:

I assume if I bid 3♠, RHO bids 4♦? I would then double.

I'm not sure what this is all about. I'd be surprised if partner and I could take 3 tricks on defense, let alone 4.

Double isn't pure penalty here. I expect pard to pull with high ODR and pass with a little defense.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-30, 11:47

I would not want to bid 4♦ the round before since I don't want to give LHO more options.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#14 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-30, 18:17

I will say that whether you bid 4♦ or not doesn't matter in this instance. Presumably anyone who bids 4♦ will pass 5♦. What about the 4♠ bidders?

(Sorry I cant say what happens over 3♠ just yet)
0

#15 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-June-30, 18:27

Definitely bidding 4S on this. I have a full raise. I would bid 3 on Axx of trumps and out, so how can I not bid 4? Don't understand the 3S bidders - bid what is in your hand.
Passing 5D.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#16 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-July-01, 08:44

For those not yet bored by this thread, regardless of what has happened up till this point, partner makes the minimum heart bid. Thus the auction has been one of the following:

1.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 3♠
(p) 4♥ (5♦) ?

2.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 4♠
(p) p (5♦) p
(p) 5♥ (p) 5♠
(p) p (6♦) ?

3.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 4♠
(p) p (5♦) X
(p) 5♥ (p) 5♠
(p) p (6♦) ?

4.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 4♦
(p) 4♠ (5♦) p
(p) 5♥ (p) 5♠
(p) p (6♦) ?

What now?
0

#17 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-July-02, 01:05

Well I am doubling all the 6D bids for a start.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#18 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-02, 04:48

There are two possibilities I need to consider:
A - The 1NT bidder was a joker.
B - The diamond bidder genuinely has a 1-1-7-4 or more extreme distribution
If A, I can pass and partner will find a double. If B and I bid, this could cost a lot. (e.g. 1-1-7-4 with ♥A with LHO can cost ♥A, ♥ ruff, two clubs etc)

Sequence 1. I bid 5♥. Partner can decide from now on; he will know my values are well placed in majors.
Sequence 2. I pass with some trepidation. Partner can pass, double or sacrifice but it is going to be a problem for either of us to guess right.
Sequence 3. Easy pass. I doubled earlier so if there is a penalty available, partner will know what to do.
Sequence 4. Easy pass. My 4♦ bid has done most of the talking. Now I leave the decision to partner.
0

#19 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-July-02, 07:49

se12sam, on Jul 2 2009, 06:48 AM, said:

There are two possibilities I need to consider:
A -  The 1NT bidder was a joker.
B -  The diamond bidder genuinely has a 1-1-7-4 or more extreme distribution
If A, I can pass and partner will find a double. If B and I bid, this could cost a lot. (e.g. 1-1-7-4 with ♥A with LHO can cost ♥A, ♥ ruff, two clubs etc)

Sequence 1. I bid 5♥. Partner can decide from now on; he will know my values are well placed in majors.
Sequence 2. I pass with some trepidation. Partner can pass, double or sacrifice but it is going to be a problem for either of us to guess right.
Sequence 3. Easy pass. I doubled earlier so if there is a penalty available, partner will know what to do.
Sequence 4. Easy pass. My 4♦ bid has done most of the talking. Now I leave the decision to partner.

Turns out partner had JTxxxxx JTxxxx -- --, he will probably keep bidding unless you double something that you already tried to double at a lower level. The question is: can you reach the cold 6♥? RHO is 1174 with the dAKJ, so both 6♦ and 6♠ are down 1.
0

#20 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-July-02, 08:55

If I went slower with 3♠, pard bid a natural 4♥, and we have a tool to show the majors (not many do not), I would definitely be bidding 6, since pard is marked with a 7-5.

I might work out the significance of a heart ruff in spades, or I might not.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users