everyone likes their hands
#1
Posted 2009-June-30, 08:29
♠AKx
♥KQx
♦Qxx
♣xxxx
(1NT) - 2♠ - (3♦) - ?
1NT was 15-17. You are not playing any type of conventional defense to 1NT.
Edit: 3♦ is natural and forcing.
#3
Posted 2009-June-30, 09:30
I don't see any reason to do anything other than 3♠. My guess is that partner is 6-4. 500 is possible but I'd bet 200 is the worst we'd come out which is wtp. If OP is asking if I bid 4♠ that's crazy, imo.
#4
Posted 2009-June-30, 09:32
Edit: Thinking more I want to change to 4. Either opponent could be a joker at this vul as well and we could simply have game values. 4, final answer.
#5
Posted 2009-June-30, 09:42
#6
Posted 2009-June-30, 09:48
I have AK in partners suit, which should be a 6 carder,
and since he is broke a 7 carder is more likely.
But I am not bidding 4S, I dont want to suggest a sac. against
5D, we should have a fair chance of beating it, and I dont think
they can make 3NT, if partner attacks spade.
With kind regards
Marlowe
PS: I would go in with light values, so hitting me with one of the
suggested hands for 2S is not highly likely.
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#7
Posted 2009-June-30, 10:12
#8
Posted 2009-June-30, 10:51
#9
Posted 2009-June-30, 11:08
#10
Posted 2009-June-30, 11:28
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#11
Posted 2009-June-30, 11:29
Phil, on Jun 30 2009, 12:28 PM, said:
I'm not sure what this is all about. I'd be surprised if partner and I could take 3 tricks on defense, let alone 4.
#12
Posted 2009-June-30, 11:35
kfay, on Jun 30 2009, 12:29 PM, said:
Phil, on Jun 30 2009, 12:28 PM, said:
I'm not sure what this is all about. I'd be surprised if partner and I could take 3 tricks on defense, let alone 4.
Double isn't pure penalty here. I expect pard to pull with high ODR and pass with a little defense.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#13
Posted 2009-June-30, 11:47
#14
Posted 2009-June-30, 18:17
(Sorry I cant say what happens over 3♠ just yet)
#15
Posted 2009-June-30, 18:27
Passing 5D.
#16
Posted 2009-July-01, 08:44
1.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 3♠
(p) 4♥ (5♦) ?
2.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 4♠
(p) p (5♦) p
(p) 5♥ (p) 5♠
(p) p (6♦) ?
3.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 4♠
(p) p (5♦) X
(p) 5♥ (p) 5♠
(p) p (6♦) ?
4.
(1NT) 2♠ (3♦) 4♦
(p) 4♠ (5♦) p
(p) 5♥ (p) 5♠
(p) p (6♦) ?
What now?
#17
Posted 2009-July-02, 01:05
#18
Posted 2009-July-02, 04:48
A - The 1NT bidder was a joker.
B - The diamond bidder genuinely has a 1-1-7-4 or more extreme distribution
If A, I can pass and partner will find a double. If B and I bid, this could cost a lot. (e.g. 1-1-7-4 with ♥A with LHO can cost ♥A, ♥ ruff, two clubs etc)
Sequence 1. I bid 5♥. Partner can decide from now on; he will know my values are well placed in majors.
Sequence 2. I pass with some trepidation. Partner can pass, double or sacrifice but it is going to be a problem for either of us to guess right.
Sequence 3. Easy pass. I doubled earlier so if there is a penalty available, partner will know what to do.
Sequence 4. Easy pass. My 4♦ bid has done most of the talking. Now I leave the decision to partner.
#19
Posted 2009-July-02, 07:49
se12sam, on Jul 2 2009, 06:48 AM, said:
A - The 1NT bidder was a joker.
B - The diamond bidder genuinely has a 1-1-7-4 or more extreme distribution
If A, I can pass and partner will find a double. If B and I bid, this could cost a lot. (e.g. 1-1-7-4 with ♥A with LHO can cost ♥A, ♥ ruff, two clubs etc)
Sequence 1. I bid 5♥. Partner can decide from now on; he will know my values are well placed in majors.
Sequence 2. I pass with some trepidation. Partner can pass, double or sacrifice but it is going to be a problem for either of us to guess right.
Sequence 3. Easy pass. I doubled earlier so if there is a penalty available, partner will know what to do.
Sequence 4. Easy pass. My 4♦ bid has done most of the talking. Now I leave the decision to partner.
Turns out partner had JTxxxxx JTxxxx -- --, he will probably keep bidding unless you double something that you already tried to double at a lower level. The question is: can you reach the cold 6♥? RHO is 1174 with the dAKJ, so both 6♦ and 6♠ are down 1.
#20
Posted 2009-July-02, 08:55
I might work out the significance of a heart ruff in spades, or I might not.
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

Help
