BBO Discussion Forums: Best line in 6nt? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Best line in 6nt?

#1 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,155
  • Joined: 2003-May-14

Posted 2009-June-29, 17:07

Scoring: IMP


Opps silent, west leads a spade, you insert the 7, east plays the ♠T.
Now what?
0

#2 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-June-29, 17:10

I win the Ace.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#3 User is offline   manudude03 

  • - - A AKQJT9876543
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,625
  • Joined: 2007-October-02
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-29, 17:27

I play the ace, cash the ♣A, run the spades throwing 3 diamonds and a club, then cash 3 top hearts. If they are 3-3 I'm home, if they are 4-2 (4 with LHO) i exit a heart for a sure endplay. If neither happen, I try the diamond finesse, who knows I might lose to stiff K (and therefore hopefully forcing him to lead a club), not that we can count on that.

EDIT: oops just realised I'll have to discard from AQ KJ in the throwin. I'll simply try the diamond finesse if hearts aren't 3-3
Wayne Somerville
0

#4 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-June-29, 17:34

Ah well. I should probably give a non sarcastic answer.

Win the Ace. Cash two rounds of hearts. Does the J fall? Yes. Then playing for the overtrick.

No. Then cash my spade winners and ♣A. Finally cash the ♥Q and see where I'm at.

I have options in both minors as well as the ♥ throw in possibility.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#5 User is offline   Mbodell 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,871
  • Joined: 2007-April-22
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA

Posted 2009-June-30, 00:06

Why not win ♠A, ♣ to the A, 2♥, 3♠ pitching 1♣ and 2♦. Now take diamond finesse. Now if West has 4 ♥ we don't automatically lose (we'll play for 3-3 on the heart exit), but we can play for someone to have Qx of clubs for instance. There might also be a diamond club squeeze on East if West exits a heart and we play for 3-3 and fail and we now play the last ♠. If West exits a ♦ to the A we can cash the K♣ pitching a diamond and gain on the Qx of clubs or either player squeezed in the reds.
0

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-30, 01:48

Mbodell, on Jun 30 2009, 07:06 AM, said:

Why not win ♠A, ♣ to the A, 2♥, 3♠ pitching 1♣ and 2♦.  Now take diamond finesse.  Now if West has 4 ♥ we don't automatically lose (we'll play for 3-3 on the heart exit), but we can play for someone to have Qx of clubs for instance.  There might also be a diamond club squeeze on East if West exits a heart and we play for 3-3 and fail and we now play the last ♠.

It would be careless for West to allow that. He can see that he doesn't have a club or diamond guard, and he can count eleven tricks for declarer, so it should be clear that a minor-suit squeeze is threatened.

Quote

If West exits a ♦ to the A we can cash the K♣ pitching a diamond and gain on the Qx of clubs or either player squeezed in the reds.

I don't think this squeeze works - you haven't cashed the long spade, and you have no communication in diamonds.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#7 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-30, 02:03

I play a heart to dummy, cash the spades (throwing diamonds and a small club, cash ♣A, and take a diamond finesse. If that loses, I play for a squeeze in hearts and a minor. I make if the diamond is right, hearts are 3-3, the same hand has ♣Q and the heart guard, or LHO has three diamonds and the heart guard.

I've had to give up the chance of ♥J falling in two rounds, in order to preserve my squeeze chances involving the heart suit.

Edit: corrected "throwing clubs and a small diamond" to "throwing diamonds and a small club".

This post has been edited by gnasher: 2009-June-30, 03:58

... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#8 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-June-30, 03:23

gnasher, on Jun 30 2009, 09:03 AM, said:

I play a heart to dummy, cash the spades (throwing clubs and a small diamond, cash ♣A, and take a diamond finesse.  If that loses, I play for a squeeze in hearts and a minor.  I make if the diamond is right, hearts are 3-3, the same hand has ♣Q and the heart guard, or LHO has three diamonds and the heart guard.

I've had to give up the chance of ♥J falling in two rounds, in order to preserve my squeeze chances involving the heart suit.
South needs to make 4 discards on the run of spades. It will most likely be 1♥, 1♣ and 2♦ cards. Throwing two clubs eliminates that suit from any squeeze equation etc.

So at trick 8 when you take the ♦ finesse, West wins (with the presumed King) and plays back a heart. You are forced to play the third heart winner from dummy and (if hearts are not 3-3) guess which minor suit to unguard. Doesn't this reduce some of the chances you listed?
0

#9 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-30, 04:06

se12sam, on Jun 30 2009, 10:23 AM, said:

South needs to make 4 discards on the run of spades. It will most likely be 1♥, 1♣ and 2♦ cards. Throwing two clubs eliminates that suit from any squeeze equation etc.

So at trick 8 when you take the ♦ finesse, West wins (with the presumed King) and plays back a heart. You are forced to play the third heart winner from dummy and (if hearts are not 3-3) guess which minor suit to unguard. Doesn't this reduce some of the chances you listed?

What I intended was to throw three diamonds and one club (sorry, I made a typo in my original post). That retains all the chances I listed - after a heart continuation I'd still have an other small heart in my hand, so I'd have diamonds+hearts against LHO, and clubs+hearts against anyone.

However, your comment has made me think of an improvement: don't touch hearts at all, but cross to a club, cash the spades throwing a heart, a club and two diamonds, then take a diamond finesse. Now I still have a small diamond in hand, so I can also squeeze RHO in diamonds+hearts. All I've given up is the chance of singleton jack of hearts. That ♥10 is a bit of a distraction.

The ending is this, with West on lead:

Scoring: IMP

and I can squeeze either opponent in hearts and a minor
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#10 User is offline   Stephen Tu 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,155
  • Joined: 2003-May-14

Posted 2009-June-30, 09:36

I think gnasher's final line is best. I was stupid & let that silly T of hearts distract me from calculating that the squeeze chances were a good deal higher than Jx doubleton/J singleton.
0

#11 User is offline   Dwingo 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 356
  • Joined: 2003-May-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

Posted 2009-July-02, 05:37

SA. CA. Cash all Spades. Cash top Hearts. If ♥ is 3-3 game is over. If ♥ is 4-2 with LHO having 4, play 4th H and end play in ♥'s for an additional trick in ♦ or ♣. If RHO has 4 ♥'s, then play a low diamond and cover whatever ♦ East plays.

So knowing what those ♦ pips are will be useful
♥ Bridge Players do it with Finesse ♥
0

#12 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-July-02, 06:24

Dwingo, on Jul 2 2009, 12:37 PM, said:

SA. CA. Cash all Spades. Cash top Hearts. If ♥ is 3-3 game is over. If ♥ is 4-2 with LHO having 4, play 4th H and end play in ♥'s for an additional trick in ♦ or ♣.

When you play the 4th ♥ to LHO, you are playing to trick 10. Which three cards do you retain in hand? :)
0

#13 User is offline   Dwingo 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 356
  • Joined: 2003-May-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:India

  Posted 2009-July-02, 09:38

OOps :)
♥ Bridge Players do it with Finesse ♥
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users