Posted 2009-June-28, 15:31
When partner asks if you have a stopper, and you do... bid 3N. Even if he is void, so long as spades are 3=6, and they rate to be given LHO's pass, they can never take more than the first 3 tricks in the suit, so you have a stopper.
As it is, when partner bid 4♠, he has an enormous hand, but I disagree that it is clear what kind of hand he has.... I would need to know, for instance, what an immediate, balancing 4♠ would be.
When 4♠x'd came around to him, he had options.. he could have redoubled, or bid 4N.. both of which would, in my view, reveal a 2-suiter... the distinction is not something I have ever discussed with partners. With a massive 7=5, for example, he'd show the 2-suiter and then pull clubs to diamonds.
So I think 5♦ is the huge one-suiter.. and I would raise.
I agree with Helene, in that if we had, for example, the same hand with a spade suit headed by that non-stopper, the 'x', I would have bid 4♣.. it is almost good enough to insist on game... but not quite.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
E S W N
2♠ p p 3♠
p 4♥ p 4♠
dbl p p 5♦
p ?