BBO Discussion Forums: is this a negative double - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

is this a negative double

Poll: is this a negative double (39 member(s) have cast votes)

is this a negative double

  1. yes (21 votes [53.85%])

    Percentage of vote: 53.85%

  2. no (18 votes [46.15%])

    Percentage of vote: 46.15%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-26, 09:43

all white, mps

♠x
♥Qx
♦QJTxx
♣Qxxxx

p (p) 1♥ (2♠)
?

If not, why?
0

#2 User is offline   rbforster 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,611
  • Joined: 2006-March-18

Posted 2009-June-26, 10:28

depending on the auction, but i'd say yes.

1♥-(1♠)-X
0

#3 User is offline   mikegill 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 296
  • Joined: 2006-May-26

Posted 2009-June-26, 11:29

Guess he forgot to put the auction in there...

p p 1♥ 2♠
?
0

#4 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-June-26, 11:50

I do not like a negative double over 1♥-(2♠). I would expect some defensive values, even from a passed hand. I don't really want to invite opener to convert.
0

#5 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-26, 11:52

mikegill, on Jun 26 2009, 01:29 PM, said:

Guess he forgot to put the auction in there...

p p 1♥ 2♠
?

Yes, this is the auction.
0

#6 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-June-26, 12:33

Automatic
Kevin Fay
0

#7 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-26, 13:07

Yes.

Pard will have a tough time balancing and they have at least an eight card spade fit so I don't want to defend 2♠.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#8 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-June-26, 13:14

I said no, but maybe my low values are so well placed (the ♥Q may be very important). I'm not quite sure though, couldn't my partner pass with good spades and expecting some 11 HCP's in my hand?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#9 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-June-26, 14:09

I prefer to pass without A nor K.
0

#10 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-26, 14:43

I'll double this, sorry partner :(
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#11 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-June-26, 14:46

Too much upside to not double.
0

#12 User is online   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,155
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-June-26, 15:03

No, too weak.

Always ask yourself, how you feel, if partner passes your double out,
and dont come with "take out doubles are meant to be taken out".

Also ask yourself, how you will feel, if partner bids 3NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#13 User is offline   MarkDean 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Location:Pleasanton, CA, US

Posted 2009-June-28, 11:33

I would pass. Not enough defense. Either LHO is about to bid more spades, or partner is likely to want to defend. All white MPs does make it tempting though.
0

#14 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-June-28, 11:39

all white mps? SURE!
What was the hand again?
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#15 User is offline   barryallen 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 2008-June-03

Posted 2009-June-29, 05:26

I can see so many ways of getting into trouble if you bid anything but pass. I can't see any real problems of missing anything vital should you pass. Partner will not let this lie unless deservedly, no brainer for me!
bridge is never always a game of exact, for those times it's all about percentages, partner and the opponents.
0

#16 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-June-29, 05:54

barryallen, on Jun 29 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

Partner will not let this lie unless deservedly, no brainer for me!

Huh? Partner will pass with any balanced hand with 3 spades.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#17 User is offline   barryallen 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 244
  • Joined: 2008-June-03

Posted 2009-June-29, 09:12

cherdanno, on Jun 29 2009, 06:54 AM, said:

barryallen, on Jun 29 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

I can see so many ways of getting into trouble if you bid anything but pass. I can't see any real problems of missing anything vital should you pass. Partner will not let this lie unless deservedly, no brainer for me! 

Huh? Partner will pass with any balanced hand with 3 spades.

Just exactly what will you be missing out on that requires your strategic 7 points? I can easily see you missing a part score, but is it really worth it for the risk involved? Then you have the added problem of partner believing you have more values then what you hold, getting in deeper?
bridge is never always a game of exact, for those times it's all about percentages, partner and the opponents.
0

#18 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-29, 09:34

I have mixed feelings on the hand, which I think are reflected in the current 17-12 vote count.

On the one hand, you have offense consistent with a negative double at this level. We can likely make 3 of a minor, and it's unlikely we can defeat 2s. Defending 2s will likely be below average, particularly in a weaker field. We might even have a game. However, several bad things can happen if we double. Partner could leave it in, or partner could double 3s when they compete to it and put us to a guess, which we may get wrong. When we can make 3 of a minor, the opponents can often make 3s and will bid it, so how much are we really accomplishing by doubling?

I think if I held this hand at the table, I would double, hoping that something good happens (such as we get to play 3 of something, or the opps bid 3 over 3 and go down). However I would think I was overbidding, and I'd be concerned that we will end up defending a doubled making contract later on.

For those curious, this didn't come from a real life deal, it came up in a discussion about what constitutes a typical negative double in this auction.
0

#19 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-June-29, 09:57

barryallen, on Jun 29 2009, 10:12 AM, said:

cherdanno, on Jun 29 2009, 06:54 AM, said:

barryallen, on Jun 29 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

I can see so many ways of getting into trouble if you bid anything but pass. I can't see any real problems of missing anything vital should you pass. Partner will not let this lie unless deservedly, no brainer for me! 

Huh? Partner will pass with any balanced hand with 3 spades.

Just exactly what will you be missing out on that requires your strategic 7 points? I can easily see you missing a part score, but is it really worth it for the risk involved? Then you have the added problem of partner believing you have more values then what you hold, getting in deeper?

Did you notice the scoring is matchpoints, and the vulnerability is noone vulnerable?
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#20 User is offline   aguahombre 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,029
  • Joined: 2009-February-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:St. George, UT

Posted 2009-June-29, 13:47

barryallen, on Jun 29 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

I can see so many ways of getting into trouble if you bid anything but pass.  I can't see any real problems of missing anything vital should you pass. Partner will not let this lie unless deservedly, no brainer for me!

partner WILL let this lie. He has some spades if it floats back to him. systemic 2nt if the 2S bid did not occur, showing weak response with lots of minor suit cards.

maybe 2NT should still show this hand ---frequency of having something like this vs having a natural 2NT call as a passed hand.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users