• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Moneybridge vs. GIB Why...?

#21 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-June-17, 19:49

Lobowolf, on Jun 17 2009, 08:49 PM, said:

Wish I could remember the story and source completely accurately, but my recollection is that it's something to the effect that someone told Barry Crane that when faced with a pure 2-way guess for a queen, he did it differently depending on whether a certain card was in dummy, or in his hand, or something, and wanted Crane's validation. Crane told him it didn't matter as long as he did it the same way each time. As I recall, neither the anecdote nor Crane's comment was presented as being ironic. I'll try to find the excerpt and reference it.

It's like thinking that the long-term expectation on a coin flip depends on picking the same choice every time. Bizarre.

Barry Crane's Rule is that the Queen is over the Jack in a minor, under the Jack in a major. Here's an article by Grant Baze that includes an anecdote about this.

http://www.blakjak.d...o.uk/crane1.htm

If it has any basis in fact, it might have something to do with whether the opponents were more likely to compete with values in a major versus a minor, although I don't see how that relates their holding to the positions of your honors in the two hands. So it's most likely just a superstition, as Grant says.

#22 User is offline   se12sam 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-18, 03:46

I agree with jdonn completely. Having a "rule" save a lot of stress and thought.

I also suspect (but have no way of proving) that Barry Crane's rule may have had some statistical validity in times of manually shuffled / duplicated boards. With the advent of computer dealt truly random hands, the value of the rule is only for peace of mind.

#23 User is offline   pdmunro 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-18, 06:00

jdonn, on Jun 17 2009, 07:40 PM, said:

Free, on Jun 16 2009, 02:58 PM, said:

- Opps get a lot more HCP (which usually results in more total points and money).  I know I've done calculations in the past, and HCP NS vs HCP EW were about equal.  However, if you switch sides now and then, your opps can get way more HCP than average.

Sorry but this comment shows a complete and utter lack of understanding about probability and statistics of any kind. It is equivalent to the following argument.

You and I will both pick a card from each of 100 different decks and whoever picks more aces wins. However, if sometimes you pick first and sometimes I pick first then you can get way more aces than I get, which is not fair.

Do you know what "random" means?

Re the use of statistics:

I don't want to get too off-topic, but I have become interested in reading the ideas of W. Edwards Deming whose aim was to improve the quality of manufactured products in Japan and the USA. My paraphrase of his central thesis is that it is not really relevant to just pick a random sample of manufactured products and test their quality.

What is needed is a sampling along a time line. There will always be variabilty in the manufactured product. This is completely unavoidable and needs to be recognized as such. It is due to 1001 interactions that are part of any process.

What is important is that both the long-run performance and natural variabilty are determined and then monitored continuously. If it is observed, for any series of continuous time points, that the performance is consistently above or below the long-term average, management needs to recognize that special factors are at work and adopt remedies to return the process to its long-term average.

What has this to do with bridge? Maybe it's relevant to Free's concerns, maybe not.

But the key tenet of Deming is out there: Don't always think in terms of a simple average, there is a time component to events that we ignore at our peril.

In my own case, I know I try to monitor my alertnes before I play on BBO. I sometimes do this by playing a couple of hands on Bridge Baron. I am testing whether my brain is too tired to think, or not, as tiredness is the special factor that most often prevents me from performing at my true level.

In summary, I am just trying to keep my mind open to Deming's ideas. They are credited with playing a key role in the miracle that is modern Japanese manufacturing. I think they must have relevance in other fields, such as bridge and education, my key areas of interest.
Peter . . . . AKQ . . . . K = 3 points = 1 trick
"Of course wishes everybody to win and play as good as possible, but it is a hobby and a game, not war." 42 (BBO Forums)
"If a man speaks in the forest and there are no women around to hear is he still wrong?" anon
"Politics: an inadequate substitute for bridge." John Maynard Keynes
"This is how Europe works, it dithers, it delays, it makes cowardly small steps towards the truth and at some point that which it has admonished as impossible it embraces as inevitable." Athens University economist Yanis Varoufakis
"Krypt3ia @ Craig, dude, don't even get me started on you. You have posted so far two articles that I and others have found patently clueless. So please, step away from the keyboard before you hurt yourself." Comment on infosecisland.com
"Doing is the real hard part" Emma Coats (formerly from Pixar)
"I was working on the proof of one of my poems all the morning, and took out a comma. In the afternoon I put it back again." Oscar Wilde
"Assessment, far more than religion, has become the opiate of the people" Patricia Broadfoot, Uni of Gloucestershire, UK

#24 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2009-June-18, 06:31

se12sam, on Jun 18 2009, 10:46 AM, said:

I also suspect (but have no way of proving) that Barry Crane's rule may have had some statistical validity in times of manually shuffled / duplicated boards. With the advent of computer dealt truly random hands, the value of the rule is only for peace of mind.

The rule that the queen lies over the jack comes from rubber bridge. You're more likely to play the queen on the jack than the jack on the queen. Thus the queen will tend to be immediately above the jack when the cards are face up, immediately below the jack when the cards are face down, and immediately over the jack when the cards are redealt.

The same applies at duplicate, for a different reason. When leading touching honours most people would lead the queen and then the jack. Again, the queen will end up under the jack with the cards face down, and over the jack when they're redealt.

This may change if there are lots of early claims. When sorting their hands, most people put the high cards behind the low cards. If a queen-jack combination is unplayed at the end of the hand, the queen will be redealt in front of the jack.

Naturally, none of this applies when the hands are randomly dealt. If I didn't know better, I'd say that anyone who seriously believed that this rule applied to computer-dealt hands was an idiot.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#25 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-June-18, 06:37

pdmunro, on Jun 18 2009, 01:00 PM, said:

What has this to do with bridge? Maybe it's relevant to Free's concerns, maybe not.

But the key tenet of Deming is out there: Don't always think in terms of a simple average, there is a time component to events that we ignore at our peril.

It's relevant only if you think that the dealer might have a systemic bias that varies with time. It seems unlikely that BBO's developers would have made such an error.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn

#26 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-June-18, 12:17

jdonn, on Jun 18 2009, 01:40 AM, said:

- Opps get a lot more HCP (which usually results in more total points and money).  I know I've done calculations in the past, and HCP NS vs HCP EW were about equal.  However, if you switch sides now and then, your opps can get way more HCP than average.

Sorry but this comment shows a complete and utter lack of understanding about probability and statistics of any kind. It is equivalent to the following argument.

You and I will both pick a card from each of 100 different decks and whoever picks more aces wins. However, if sometimes you pick first and sometimes I pick first then you can get way more aces than I get, which is not fair.

Sorry but you'd be surprized of my understanding of probability. However I believe you forgot 1 important word in my sentence ("can") and my remark at the bottom of my post. I didn't say it's so in the long run (that would be foolish), and playing about 10 boards each time makes a huge difference since there's more variance. If I'd play 1000 boards I would have a better chance to reach the obvious average of 20HCP.

Your example is completely not equivalent. The one with the coins however is a lot more relevant.

I looked up my previous post where I used REAL data to show what I'm talking about:
http://forums.bridgebase.com/index.php?sho...ndpost&p=276799
You'll see that there a big difference between the average NS/EW and the average myside/oppsside in this session.

Obviously, if you'd keep the seats fixed, you'll have sequences of boards where 1 side gets more HCP than the other side. So it won't change much. However, for me it's frustrating that you're sitting EW for a few hands and don't get much HCP, suddenly you switch sides and the HCP also switched sides so the series of bad boards continues.

If you'd look at ALL the hands I've played in moneybridge (not just the ones in 1 session) I'll probably have around 20HCP each time (which is statistically correct), but the fun of one session can go away pretty quickly if your side keeps getting very few hcp. Since I play pretty short sessions, this factor is quite important for me.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#27 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-June-18, 12:32

Free, on Jun 18 2009, 01:17 PM, said:

Sorry but you'd be surprized of my understanding of probability. However I believe you forgot 1 important word in my sentence ("can") and my remark at the bottom of my post. I didn't say it's so in the long run (that would be foolish), and playing about 10 boards each time makes a huge difference since there's more variance. If I'd play 1000 boards I would have a better chance to reach the obvious average of 20HCP.

Your example is completely not equivalent. The one with the coins however is a lot more relevant.

I looked up my previous post where I used REAL data to show what I'm talking about:
You'll see that there a big difference between the average NS/EW and the average myside/oppsside in this session.

Obviously, if you'd keep the seats fixed, you'll have sequences of boards where 1 side gets more HCP than the other side. So it won't change much. However, for me it's frustrating that you're sitting EW for a few hands and don't get much HCP, suddenly you switch sides and the HCP also switched sides so the series of bad boards continues.

If you'd look at ALL the hands I've played in moneybridge (not just the ones in 1 session) I'll probably have around 20HCP each time (which is statistically correct), but the fun of one session can go away pretty quickly if your side keeps getting very few hcp. Since I play pretty short sessions, this factor is quite important for me.

ok, but there's no difference in your expectation, for a session of any duration, whether you're N/S every time, E/W every time, alternate every hand, or play N/S twice followed by E/W seven times, then N/S twice again.

Yes, the short-term swings can be quite disparate, but a priori, there's no seating sequence at all that would give you any different likelihood of getting more points, fewer points, or an average amount of points as compared with any other seating sequence.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#28 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-18, 13:21

Suppose you distribute HCP NS-EW every round as follows: 25-15, 15-25, 25-15,...  In the long run, NS and EW will have the same amount of HCP.  However, if you also switch sides every round, then your team may get 15HCP on average, while opps get 25 on average!

Are you saying that there is a difference in average HCP held depending upon whether you are always south or switch back and forth between south and west? That the seat switching changes the variance of HCP held?

I'm sure you will agree that the expected HCP are the same whether you stay in the same seat or switch. And, that the expected variance (in any set of X boards) is also the same regardless of position.

So really, the only problem with switching seats is a perception that the "cold streaks" are somehow following you. This is really the same sort of thinking as watching a flipped coin come up heads three times in a row and thinking that it must be "due" for a tails.

#29 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-June-18, 13:24

Indeed. However, I've also had "hot streaks" so it cancels out. My point is that the streaks aren't as pleasant as having a tight game. Long term statistics are irrelevant for the "fun factor". :lol:
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#30 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-18, 13:47

Sorry but you'd be surprized of my understanding of probability.

After reading the rest of your post, I would be. Where you sit has nothing to do with your short term streaks, long term streaks, variance, average, or anything else. All it impacts is your own superstition.

However, for me it's frustrating that you're sitting EW for a few hands and don't get much HCP, suddenly you switch sides and the HCP also switched sides so the series of bad boards continues.

This sums up everything. That frustration is entirely illogical. You can be frustrated that you altogether had a very long streak of bad hands, but if you equate that in any way to the directions you were sitting then you are wrong.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#31 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-18, 13:50

You seem to be implying that points come in "runs" (i.e. that there will be a bunch of hands where N/S has more points followed by a bunch of hand where E/W has more points) -- this happens sometimes but really each hand is independent from the last and it's pure random chance.

You could easily have a tourney where you sit N/S the whole time and get no points each hand, whereas if you had switched to E/W halfway through you'd have good hands for the second half. This is just as likely as a tourney where N/S has "the points" for the first half and E/W has "the points" for the second half.

I suppose there is some psychological effect (but not a real one).

The vulnerabilities on the other hand are an issue. If you play a tourney where you are NV for more than half the hands, your ability to score total points is substantially reduced. Of course, it does average out (mean is the same) but swapping vulnerability at random CAN increase the variance.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#32 User is offline   Jlall 

• Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-June-18, 14:32

As long as you're east you can't lose basically.

#33 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-18, 16:37

To avoid the bad streaks, you should walk once around your PC after every hand. This has the same effect as changing seats.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#34 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-18, 16:40

cherdanno, on Jun 18 2009, 05:37 PM, said:

To avoid the bad streaks, you should walk once around your PC after every hand. This has the same effect as changing seats.

Mine is against a wall, what should I do?
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#35 User is offline   barmar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2009-June-18, 16:41

gnasher, on Jun 18 2009, 08:31 AM, said:

se12sam, on Jun 18 2009, 10:46 AM, said:

The rule that the queen lies over the jack comes from rubber bridge. You're more likely to play the queen on the jack than the jack on the queen. Thus the queen will tend to be immediately above the jack when the cards are face up, immediately below the jack when the cards are face down, and immediately over the jack when the cards are redealt.

But why would the position of the queen be different for majors versus minors? That's what Barry Crane's rule is about.

#36 User is offline   xcurt 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-18, 22:38

For those playing a lot of bbo moneybridge, how well does GIB play? How much better does is play if you give it more cpu (Uday or Fred?). Is it the best computer program? I tried wbridge5 since it's free and it's hopeless, I cannot believe it honestly won the computer world championship once or twice, it was so bad I'm not going to pay money to try Jack if Jack lost to it on the computer worlds.

I'm not interested in playing with the computer, I'm interested in writing a bridge program btw.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch

#37 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-19, 00:23

GIB's card play is very good. It does have some weirdnesses, e.g. it often removes guesses for you.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#38 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-19, 00:37

Sorry but you'd be surprized of my understanding of probability.

Please surprise us!
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#39 User is offline   gnasher 

• Andy Bowles

Posted 2009-June-19, 01:26

barmar, on Jun 18 2009, 11:41 PM, said:

But why would the position of the queen be different for majors versus minors?  That's what Barry Crane's rule is about.

I don't know. The rule I stated has been around for ages. The Encyclopedia of Bridge credits it to a Clagett Bowie, who was born twenty years before Barry Crane.

Maybe Crane decided that applying this rule to computer-dealt hands wasn't sufficiently irrational, so he added an extra absurdity?

#40 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2009-June-19, 02:18

<snip>

Obviously, if you'd keep the seats fixed, you'll have sequences of boards where 1 side gets more HCP than the other side.  So it won't change much.  However, for me it's frustrating that you're sitting EW for a few hands and don't get much HCP, suddenly you switch sides and the HCP also switched sides so the series of bad boards continues.

If you'd look at ALL the hands I've played in moneybridge (not just the ones in 1 session) I'll probably have around 20HCP each time (which is statistically correct), but the fun of one session can go away pretty quickly if your side keeps getting very few hcp.  Since I play pretty short sessions, this factor is quite important for me.

This is a real observation and can be proven mathematically.

Simply put: If you are on the loosing side, the probability that
you will stay on this side is higher and growing over time.
The probability that the score will be +-0 will go too zero, if time
goes on, if I remember it correct even with exponenatial speed.

But switching sides has nothing to do with it and wont change
anything at all, only a reset will.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

• 4 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users