BBO Discussion Forums: Quick but maybe tricky one? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Quick but maybe tricky one?

#21 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-June-16, 14:10

Like AWM said (are we agreeing here? weird), with ambiguity, Responder bids 3♦. 3♠ resolved the ambiguity. Spades is the focus major.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#22 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-June-16, 17:57

awm, on Jun 16 2009, 12:35 PM, said:

I'll go with 4♥ cuebid, confirming six spades, and 4NT RKC♠.

Then again, I do very much prefer to play 3♦ as a "fourth suit forcing bid" on this auction.

I totally would have thought this to be the consensus answer. Maybe I'm wrong.

It seems to me that Partner is 2-5 in the majors. If I'm 5-2 it just seems better to sleep where I lay so I can distinguish between cuebids at the 4-level (making 4♥ a real cuebid in support of spades).

We've found a fit at the 3-level, why continue to search for a fit that might be only marginally better at the 4-level?



Anyway, that being said I could totally make a 180 here and believe that it's COG. I just would have assumed cuebid undiscussed.
Kevin Fay
0

#23 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-June-17, 04:20

kfay, on Jun 16 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

We've found a fit at the 3-level, why continue to search for a fit that might be only marginally better at the 4-level?

♠Q7642
♥J10

This isn't so hard to imagine. Partner said he wanted to play in spades, but he only has 2 cards there he doens't know anything about our spots.
0

#24 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-June-17, 05:14

Fluffy, on Jun 17 2009, 05:20 AM, said:

kfay, on Jun 16 2009, 11:57 PM, said:

We've found a fit at the 3-level, why continue to search for a fit that might be only marginally better at the 4-level?

♠Q7642
♥J10

This isn't so hard to imagine. Partner said he wanted to play in spades, but he only has 2 cards there he doens't know anything about our spots.

If partner held good hearts, he could have bid 3♦. More likely that partner has THAT hand, majors reversed.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#25 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-17, 12:45

If I were opener I would bid 3NT on pretty much any minimum hand without six spades, so the 4♥ bid is either a 6-2-1-4 minimum or some sort of cuebid for spades. Since this ambiguity is present, I would bid 4♦ with slam try in spades if I were opener regardless of my diamond holding.

As responder with little slam interest and facing the 4♥ call with no discussion, I would never pass, since 4♠ will always be a reasonable contract and 4♥ might not be one.

As opener facing the 4NT call, I would respond to RKC in spades. Even if partner intended it as RKC for hearts, I bet he's just as interested in the ♠K as the ♥K.
0

#26 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-17, 12:51

Apollo81, on Jun 17 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

As opener facing the 4NT call, I would respond to RKC in spades. Even if partner intended it as RKC for hearts, I bet he's just as interested in the ♠K as the ♥K.

In practice opener held the king of hearts and not the king of spades. So you would not show that as a keycard?
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#27 User is offline   Jlall 

  • Follower of 655321
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 3,293
  • Joined: 2008-December-05
  • Interests:drinking, women, bridge...what else?

Posted 2009-June-17, 13:09

kenrexford, on Jun 16 2009, 10:25 AM, said:

Responder is almost assuredly 2533 for his 2NT call.

LOL
0

#28 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-17, 14:02

jdonn, on Jun 17 2009, 02:51 PM, said:

Apollo81, on Jun 17 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

As opener facing the 4NT call, I would respond to RKC in spades.  Even if partner intended it as RKC for hearts, I bet he's just as interested in the ♠K as the ♥K.

In practice opener held the king of hearts and not the king of spades. So you would not show that as a keycard?

Correct, even though this would be wrong partnering myself (as I'd have bid 4♦ on any just-spades slam try) and it violates the last bid suit rule. I just think that a lot of people would think spades are "obviously" trumps here so I would cater to that.
0

#29 User is offline   Tcyk 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 112
  • Joined: 2003-May-06

Posted 2009-June-18, 14:07

jdonn, on Jun 16 2009, 04:32 AM, said:

My very good partner and I disagreed when this came up. I then asked two good players and they each agreed with one of us. 2/1, no special agreements.

1♠ 2♥
2♠ 2NT
3♣ 3♠
4♥

What does the 4♥ bid mean, approximately? (Or specifically?)

I have to look at the meanings of the bids.
2♠ is a non-specific rebid, does not promise 6+ ♠s and is a minimum hand. It denies a 5-card minor suit and 3-card ♥ support.
2NT over 2♠ is natural and shows something in the minors. It also denies 6+ ♥s and shows poor support (if any) for ♠s.
3♣ is the better minor and denies 6+ ♠s
3♠ shows 2-card ♠ support. With a singleton spade I would rebid 3NT instead of 3♠ and with a ♠ void I would raise ♣s with four (partner may only have three), bid 4♦ with 4 ♦s and less than 4 ♣ or rebid 4♥ (sigh)
4♥ probably shows Hx of ♥s and a weak 5-card ♠ suit. you are left with the decision of wether to pass or bid 4♠, to play.
0

#30 User is offline   TimG 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,972
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maine, USA

Posted 2009-June-18, 19:44

A couple people have suggested that 1♠-2♥-2♠ denies three hearts. Is this a generally accepted agreement?

Can the same be said of 1♠-2♥-3m?

I would have though that a possible interpretation of opener's actions in the original post was a 6=3=1=3 hand stronger than what would be shown by 1♠-2♥-3♥.
0

#31 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-June-19, 01:58

TimG, on Jun 19 2009, 02:44 AM, said:

A couple people have suggested that 1♠-2♥-2♠ denies three hearts.  Is this a generally accepted agreement?

Can the same be said of 1♠-2♥-3m?

I would have though that a possible interpretation of opener's actions in the original post was a 6=3=1=3 hand stronger than what would be shown by 1♠-2♥-3♥.

1♠-2♥;2♠ can certainly be 6-3 in the majors: such hands belong in spades more often than not, so you have to repeat spades. Likewise, 3♣/♦ can include three hearts, because with a 5431 type you should explore all the possible strains. You can plan the descriptive sequence 1♠-2♥;3m-3NT;4♥.

After 1♠-2♥;2♠-2NT, I think you should bid 3♥ on any hand where you're planning to play in hearts. (You might also agree to use 4♣/♦ as splinters for hearts on a 6313 type, though my preference would be that these be splinters for spades.)

Finally, if you had followed this route with a 6313 shape, your spades ought to be good enough for you to be keen to play in spades opposite secondary support.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#32 User is offline   awm 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,715
  • Joined: 2005-February-09
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Zurich, Switzerland

Posted 2009-June-19, 02:08

TimG, on Jun 18 2009, 08:44 PM, said:

A couple people have suggested that 1♠-2♥-2♠ denies three hearts. Is this a generally accepted agreement?

Can the same be said of 1♠-2♥-3m?

I would have though that a possible interpretation of opener's actions in the original post was a 6=3=1=3 hand stronger than what would be shown by 1♠-2♥-3♥.

Certainly at the time 2♠ was bid, opener could've had three hearts. But holding three hearts, after not raising at first turn it seems weird to now rebid 3♣ rather than raise at second turn. While I suppose one might consider 6-3-0-4 as a possibility, it seems like refusing to raise hearts twice on this shape will sometimes back partner into a corner.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit
0

#33 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-June-19, 04:00

I never raise hearts directly on a balanced hand with xxx, I rebid something else and back into hearts later in order to keep partner from getting excited. I am quite convinced that it's the right thing to do. But even if a 2♠ rebid can have three hearts, of course no hand with three hearts would then bid 3♣.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#34 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2009-June-21, 16:23

Apollo81, on Jun 17 2009, 01:45 PM, said:

As opener facing the 4NT call, I would respond to RKC in spades.  Even if partner intended it as RKC for hearts, I bet he's just as interested in the ♠K as the ♥K.

jdonn, on Jun 17 2009, 01:51 PM, said:

In practice opener held the king of hearts and not the king of spades. So you would not show that as a keycard?

IMO ♥ are agreed but anyway, in this auction, there should probably be 6 "aces" i.e. ♥K is a key-card, even if ♠ are trumps".
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users