BBO Discussion Forums: New Club for Juniors Announcement! - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

New Club for Juniors Announcement! Welcome to Junior Flight!

#1 User is offline   bglover 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-March-28, 14:03

ANNOUNCING JR FLIGHT TO HELP PROMOTE YOUTH BRIDGE AROUND THE WORLD!

In an effort to bring bridge to a greater segment of the world's youth, TopFlight is announcing an exciting new venture-- Junior Flight.

Junior Flight is meant as a means to bring more young people to the game we all know and love. We hope that Junior Flight will bring together all levels of junior players and will foster an environment of comraderie and competition where all young play can learn and thrive.

We have a lot of exciting plans, but first and foremost we need to spread the word to any younger players who would be intersted in this new club. We are open to all players 28 and younger (yes we know that is slightly older than the WBF age) and encourage all who qualify who are intersted to contact us.

Please contact Spwdo, Ecepal, 2over1, TopFlight or Jr Flight if you see them online to be added to the list!

#2 User is offline   vincenzo 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows

Posted 2004-March-28, 14:16

We are doing the same as BBOITA. Giuseppe (my son - 13 years old - nick name Giuseppe) has collected a list with more than 100 junior bbo members. He plays in italian national youth team (under 20) and would like to make some training before european chanpionship (Praga - 1-11 August).

Send email to info@bridgebase.it to organize together some tournaments for Junior bbo members.

Vincenzo
Vincenzo Delle Cave
info@bridgebase.it
www.bridgebase.it

#3 User is offline   bglover 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-28, 14:20

Sounds good Vincenzo.. We already have almost 40 people signed up for our group and expect to get started very soon.

I think some inter-club matches could be a lot of fun once we get everything organized! Be in contact soon!

#4 User is offline   aisha759 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-28, 15:36

Hi Stevie :lol:
Thought more than twice before posting this.. (not trying to be an expert poster by any means)
You have come up with another brilliant idea! I wish i were a junior, is 29 ok?
On a more serious note, I wish you, Ececim, and Marc the best of luck; you have made a good team; Marc (spwdo) is very enthousiastic about this... good choice!!
Maybe one day, you can start a club for serious bridge players like me , who want to improve, but youth ain't on their side (meaning over 30 at least ) ;) Topfllight friends is one of them (but still not a club.... per se)
You have a lot of expert support, and to add to it, your friends support you also...
Aisha
You know its time to diet, when you nod one chin and 2 others second the motion :)

#5 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2004-March-30, 10:28

Is this club actually going to play some bridge? I notice that there is another junior club (private club) on BBO, which I joined, and haven't received a word from since.

Being a regular on the UK university circuit, I know of plenty of people who would be interested in joining. I would also like to volunteer to direct if necessary.

Mark

(I'm only 21)

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-March-30, 10:42

mr1303, on Mar 30 2004, 11:28 AM, said:

Is this club actually going to play some bridge? I notice that there is another junior club (private club) on BBO, which I joined, and haven't received a word from since.

Being a regular on the UK university circuit, I know of plenty of people who would be interested in joining. I would also like to volunteer to direct if necessary.

Mark

(I'm only 21)

Hi mark.. I can't speak for when the club will play bridge, but you nned to understand the concept of critical mass. For a club to work, it has to have enough members who are on line at the same time to form a tourment, or at least team matches. A workable club requires somehthing like a minimum of 150 active members to have even a shot at having enough people on line at the same time. Once you get that critical mass, so you can schedule events, then more people will join the club to join the fun... So for this club or another one, it is necessary to do some lobbying to get members to join and when join to play...

You could help both junior clubs by working to sign other up... Do you think 52 is young enough to join? If so count me in... :-) and if not, hey is this age discrimination. lol

ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   bglover 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-30, 11:31

I admit it Ben, we almost set the age at 51 just to ensure you would be excluded!

In all seriousness, we have had a great response so far and hope tomorrow to stage our first team match at 13:00 EST to generate some interest in the club! We think it will be a smashing success once word gets out what we are doing.

We've been in contact with junior team bridge coaches of several nations already, have had others who work with juniors come to us to help see this succeed. The initial response (this idea is only 5 days old as of this writing) has been beyond our expectations.

Like TopFlight, if it is a good idea, it will work. If it's a good idea it will generate even more interest in quality bridge for younger players. It has the potential to offer these young players something unique within the online world.

Yes, we are open to all skill levels. We realize there are wide differences in abilities here and plan to address that with strong mentoring programs and other types of educational things. We want to involve the entire bridge community in our mission to help, inform and educatedyounger players. By doing this (as word spreads) we hope new players hear of our venture and come to BBO to be a part of Junior Flight. We think down the road this will surely happen.

If we do our job right, we think Junior Flight will succeed as being a force in bringing now, young players to the game and create a new "buzz" for the game. Everyone's support in helping youths discover our wonderful game is appreciated.

If you're not a youth but are reading this, tell your kids or grandkids! The more the merrier!

#8 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2004-March-30, 12:27

I hope it takes off in a hurry - we have fortunate to be part of the tour de force (new favorite phrase, work with me) that TopFlight is becoming. Too bad I'm not a junior anymore, but at least I will come out and watch the matches. Pard and I are eager to see our fellow Canadians.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#9 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-30, 12:39

ANNOUNCING JR FLIGHT TO HELP PROMOTE YOUTH BRIDGE AROUND THE WORLD!

An initiative really worth welcoming! - I wish you very much luck with this initiative.

#10 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-March-31, 08:46

hi,

think we all saw /heard what happened, i just sign in to bbo recieved a message. register for tourney memorial steve/ece???? I m very sorry but i cant run Junior flight not without them togheter whith hosting bridge too far/matterhorn and so on so unless their is a way to let both of them get back on thier disision i see no possible way of proceeding as planned :(

marc
spwdo
"if you fail at your first attempt , maybe skydiving is not for you".

#11 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2004-March-31, 19:34

I have been somewhat pre-occupied the past few days and had not seen this thread.

FANTASTIC initiative !!

I will spread the word amongst my members - I have quite a few Juniors from age 10 up.

You MUST NOT give it away now - if this Aged Void can resist hitting the Remove Club button twice (yes it does ask !!) then so must you two.
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

#12 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2004-April-01, 05:59

Yeah, I wouldn't like it if the club would go away... I like to play with young guns (like me ;) ), but I just don't find them very easy.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#13 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-14, 09:18

hi,

i get a lot of questions when jr flight is going to start, well, we need some things.

Off course a private room, i applied for it a couple of weeks ago.No asnwer sofar
we need the private room off course for lessons/mentoring/playing amoungst juniors/ hold meetings to get ideas and hear what juniors want themselves.

steve and ece are on a break/vacation but we are still signing up players so contact jr flight/topflight for junior sign ups.

jr flight

#14 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-April-15, 00:12

Great idea Steve&Ece!

Lack of young people in our beloved game is global problem. I hope that your new club will help to make it more attractive for lot of young people, because they will have a place where to meet similar souls, like BIL.
Successful flight young pilots!

Misho
MishoVnBg

#15 User is offline   the saint 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cycling
    Running
    Sport Science
    Babysitting the 'kiddies'
    Decks and CHOOOONS!

Posted 2004-April-16, 16:54

Hi all,

I help coach the England U'20s and I hope to be dragging them all in to play practice matches in the junior club against foreign teams. As I'm stillonly 28, I believe I still qualify to play in the club too!! Bonus!

Alan
He's justified and he's ancient, and he drives an ice cream van.

#16 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-16, 22:06

marc, FG is away. Send an other email to fred after monday about creating the club and he'll see it.

#17 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-27, 03:49

hi,

thx uday, i m in contact with fred now, things look promising.

Happy to announce we JUNIOR FLIGHT is hosting its first all junior tourney today (tuesday 27/4/2004) 13.30(new york) 19.30(rome/paris/bruxelles) 18.30 (london)

Last sunday bbo_ita hosted their first all junior tourney, we exchanging juniorslist so we getting close to a large enough group to really start and get things going,

I want to thank all juniors off course for signing up, all the support from others(those who volunteerd for mentorship/lesons and so on).

Finally i want to share a letter that i recieved on our hotmailaccount, i think this letter says what juniorflight is all about and why and for who we are doing this.

Dear Jr. Flight,
I have three sons, ages 13,11 and 8. They are all interested in learning bridge and are currently playing at the beginner level. Please send information on how they can participate in your Jr. Flight offerings.

Thank you!
Toni

spwdo&jr flight

#18 User is offline   spwdo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-04, 17:24

hi,

JUNIOR FLIGHT wants to thank edmunte(romanian junior coach)&steve for commenting the hands beeing played in our second tourney today.

Secondly i want to thank Ben(inquiry) for supporting us and answering on private questions

thierry(shaggth for working on those deals)&steve/ece for directing

last but not least i want to thank ariakas(our secretary&juniormember) who does all the hard work behind the screens(not always noticed im sure but oh so needed)

some numbers, members are over 140 now, 4 tables played today, +14 juniors came to follow comments after, a small start i hope will result i hope in a staedy grow of members

More and other events are coming

jr flight
spwdo

#19 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2004-May-04, 20:11

From Acorns do Oak trees grow Marc :-)
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

#20 User is offline   jillybean 

• hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2004-June-01, 12:30

I am enjoying kibitzing the Junior Flight tournaments, unfortunately I am “too old” to join the club which excludes me from the hand analysis afterwards.

Would you consider opening the club to people in a strictly kibitzer only capacity so us oldies :) can benefit from the analysis also?
(I don’t know if this is even possible)

Thanks & good luck with Junior Flight.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users