BBO Discussion Forums: Are there 13 spades in this deck? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Are there 13 spades in this deck?

#1 User is offline   MarkDean 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 595
  • Joined: 2008-April-30
  • Location:Pleasanton, CA, US

Posted 2009-June-05, 12:08

Scoring: IMP


(1♦) P (1♠) P
(2♠) dbl (P) ?

What do you think is going on?
What is your call?

If it affects your view, partner is good and dependable, LHO is a top expert, and RHO is unknown (probably a client).
0

#2 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-June-05, 12:11

4♥, not really close to anything else. Looks like spades are 4-6. I don't know whether I'm rooting for them to sacrifice or not.
0

#3 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-June-05, 12:21

4♥. I trust partner, who said that he did not have a takeout double over 1♦ (no doubt because he was short in spades) but has values.

RHO probably has 6 spades, and did not bid 3♠ due to the weakness of his hand. Perhaps he did not realize that 3♠ should be a weak hand with long spades, or perhaps in this client-pro partnership 3♠ is not played as a weak bid.
0

#4 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-June-05, 12:27

4♥
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#5 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-June-05, 13:46

I think pard has a 3433 or thereabouts with 12-14. Playing lebensohl here, I'll bid a good 3♥. Otherwise I'll just bid 4♥.
0

#6 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-June-05, 20:04

whereagles, on Jun 6 2009, 06:46 AM, said:

I think pard has a 3433 or thereabouts with 12-14. Playing lebensohl here, I'll bid a good 3♥. Otherwise I'll just bid 4♥.

That's certainly very courageous of partner coming back into the auction with 12-14 3433!
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-June-05, 21:11

Well, with wimpy spades and the rest of the points well distributed, it doesn't take too much courage. It can also be that he's got 3451 or 3415 and is planning on pulling pard's 'wrong' minor-suit bid.
0

#8 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-June-06, 00:22

is this part of OBAR principles? I'd probably bid 2NT as scrambling. 4♥ is way too high imo.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#9 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-June-07, 01:27

Considering the 1♦ bid I think 4♥ is too much. I'll content myself with 3♥.
Kevin Fay
0

#10 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-June-08, 06:27

Partner did not double 1 diamond but 2 Spade.
What do you expect him to hold? I think about:

Dealer: West
Vul: N/S
Scoring: IMP
♠ A
♥ QJ86
♦ KJT7
♣ T975

is the perfect hand for a late take out. But wait. This is not his hand, this is ours.
So what does he hold? 3424? Why didn't he double 1 Diamond? 2425? Why didn't they bid more then 2 Spade?

I am very scary that something strange is going on, so I bid just 3 ♥
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users