BBO Discussion Forums: What's your bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's your bid? Suramericano de Equipos (some hands)

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-June-01, 10:46

You hold:

KT5
AQ93

All white it goes:

Pa 1 1

And you decide to pass. Make up an excuse in your mind, you placed a pass instead of double at the table, you didn't want to bid 1NT, whatever. (I guess it would make a nice poll with x and 1NT tied, I'd vote for double).

Pa 1 1 Pa
Pa X* Pa ???

Negative double, of course. What now? Pass, 1, 1NT, 2 or 2? Other?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the 3.

View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win

My YouTube Channel

#2 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-01, 11:19

Agree with initial pass although dbl is OK too. 1NT would be a LOL.

I show some life now with 3. Maybe 2 is better.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#3 User is offline   aguahombre 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-01, 11:48

I know a lot of people find it necessary to double with 4 spades and bid one spade with 5+ here. but this hand is an advertisement for "neg dbl denies spades." It shows a hand that would have responded 1D (for whatever reason) or 1NT but can't without a heart stopper. We get to use their overcall to our advantage, rather than let it hamstring us.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#4 User is offline   Phil 

• Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-June-01, 11:53

aguahombre, on Jun 1 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

but this hand is an advertisement for "neg dbl denies spades." It shows a hand that would have responded 1D (for whatever reason) or 1NT but can't without a heart stopper. We get to use their overcall to our advantage, rather than let it hamstring us.

Except it is your partner who will be hamstrung when you bid 1 to show 4 or 5 and your LHO preempts.

Walsh doubles used to work a lot better before preemptive raises became common.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-June-01, 12:04

All systems have their problems, I prefer Dbl to show 4+ and 1 to show some values without a bid. On this hand it would be easy, on others it wouldn't :P
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   aguahombre 

Posted 2009-June-01, 12:05

Phil, on Jun 1 2009, 12:53 PM, said:

but this hand is an advertisement for "neg dbl denies spades."  It shows a hand that would have responded 1D (for whatever reason) or 1NT but can't without a heart stopper. We get to use their overcall to our advantage, rather than let it hamstring us.

Except it is your partner who will be hamstrung when you bid 1 to show 4 or 5 and your LHO preempts.

Yep, that is the debate. I am one of those old Hardy/Walsh fuddy-duddies, and don't even use support doubles. Sometimes the frisky opponents wish we used support doubles, and sometimes they keep us out with their jumps.
"Bidding Spades to show spades can work well." (Kenberg)

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-June-01, 12:14

As others have said, this is a good hand for a special treatment (I have begun experimenting with double = 4+ spades, 1 is 'values to bid, nothing to show'... which fits this hand perfectly, 2 as long spades, weak hand, and 2 as limit raise or better, in partner's minor.

However, that scheme is no help here, since we don't play it :P

While 1N might well work out the best... if he has a minimum semi-balanced hand, we rate to make 1N or go down only 1, and all other calls may fare worse in that event..... it is too much of a distortion... I hold too much stuff and not enough in hearts... so it lies in two regards.

I opt for the pass-the-buck cue-bid. I think I am a trifle on the light side, but the pass then cue shows values and an inability to bid descriptively the first time... so at worst I am slightly overbidding... I am NOT misbidding shape. So it is only one, small 'lie'... all other calls (2, 3, any number of diamonds or spades) seem to me to entail bigger lies.

These hands are exactly why so many pairs are playing better methods.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2009-June-01, 13:07

In old fashioned "standard" you pass the first time rather than bidding 1NT since you don't have a stopper.

With that in mind, I bid 1NT the 2nd time since I do have values and have allready denied a stopper if I am showing values. However, this runs the risk that PD doesn't realize I have 9 HCP.

Now we see why pairs are adopting different methods as mentioned by some of out experts here.

#9 User is offline   cherdanno 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-01, 16:44

but this hand is an advertisement for "neg dbl denies spades."  It shows a hand that would have responded 1D (for whatever reason) or 1NT but can't without a heart stopper. We get to use their overcall to our advantage, rather than let it hamstring us.

But it also has upsides - if you double with 5125 showing 4-5 spades and LHO jumps to 4H, you can back in with 4 spades, showing a shapely hand with 5 spades only. Playing standard, you would have to bid 5, possibly missing a 5-3 spade fit.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"

#10 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2009-June-01, 17:54

cherdanno, on Jun 1 2009, 05:44 PM, said:

But it also has upsides - if you double with 5125 showing 4-5 spades and LHO jumps to 4H, you can back in with 4 spades, showing a shapely hand with 5 spades only. Playing standard, you would have to bid 5, possibly missing a 5-3 spade fit.

Sounds like a good reason to play fit jumps. I think your better argument against Phil is that if 1 shows 4 or 5 you are better placed when you have 6, since you can show that all at once instead of potentially having to risk a spade rebid later. Not to mention you get a whole good system of transfers with it for 1NT through 2.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#11 User is offline   the hog 

• Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-June-01, 20:11

I absolutely loathe the initial pass. Agree with those who like a X to show 4+S or a 1S bid to show 4+S.

Anyway, we have a problem now. 2D does nothing to show my 9 count. I guess I bid 1NT, but I really dislike it and it wrongsides a possible contract.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#12 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-01, 20:34

Assuming that 1 and double both showed spades, I agree with the initial pass (but also agree with those who prefer other methods). 2 was possible, but it would be nice to have an honor to raise clubs on only 3.

Now, I would probably cue 2. We still have problems, and the cue bid is not guaranteed to solve them, so I could also live with 2 or 3. I don't really like 1NT because for me this shows a stopper but denies the values to bid 1NT last round, whereas we do have the values, and don't have the stopper.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#13 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-01, 23:14

In the Netherlands this is a jump to 2S: exactly 3 spades, no heart stopper and close to invitational values. Pretty much exactly this hand. I would be curious to hear how others play this delayed 2S.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

#14 User is offline   mich-b 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-June-02, 01:11

The previous Pass is what caused the problem , and this problem has no solution.

This is why it is wrong to pass with values after RHO overcall (unless trapping) - there is no good way to recover and show values later.
Each partnership just has to decide WHICH call they prefer with a hand like this - either a systemic call showing values without 4+ , or just a normal negative double, which implies 4s , but does not 100% guarantee them.
I know this style has met a lot of objection here , but why is playing (1) - DBL this way (usually 4s , sometimes 3) seems acceptable to everybody, but doing it here is not?

#15 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2009-June-02, 04:30

hanp, on Jun 2 2009, 06:14 AM, said:

In the Netherlands this is a jump to 2S: exactly 3 spades, no heart stopper and close to invitational values. Pretty much exactly this hand. I would be curious to hear how others play this delayed 2S.

Never heard about that, that's a good idea.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#16 User is offline   hanp 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-June-02, 13:55

I was joking Helene.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users