BBO Discussion Forums: 3145 - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3145

Poll: 3145 (28 member(s) have cast votes)

3145

  1. Double (16 votes [57.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 57.14%

  2. 4S (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  3. 4N (5 votes [17.86%])

    Percentage of vote: 17.86%

  4. 5D (2 votes [7.14%])

    Percentage of vote: 7.14%

  5. 5H (1 votes [3.57%])

    Percentage of vote: 3.57%

  6. 5N (4 votes [14.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 14.29%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-30, 13:20

r/w IMPs

Axx A AKQx QTxxx

1♣ - (2♥) - dbl - (4♥)
?
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#2 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-May-30, 13:54

Looks like either a conservative 4♠ or an agressive 5NT to me.

I'd preferred holding the ♣9, but I'll go for 5NT anyway.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#3 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-30, 14:03

5H followed by 5N over 5S
0

#4 User is offline   se12sam 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 184
  • Joined: 2009-March-22

Posted 2009-May-30, 14:42

4N followed by 5♥ over 5♣/5♦ but pass over 5♠
0

#5 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-30, 14:45

4♠ wouldn't be very high on my list. Wouldn't double be for takeout?

Anyway, I bid 4NT for the minors, planning to raise whatever he bids to six.

We seem to have lots of possible ways to show this type of hand:
- 4NT then raise
- 4NT then 5♥
- 5NT
- 5♥ then 5NT

To me, 5♥-5♠-5NT sounds like a grand slam try for spades, so I'd avoid that. Of the other three, 4NT then 5♥ is obviously the strongest. I don't think this hand is worth it, with gaps in all three suits.

The difference between the remaining two is something we touched on in this thread. I still don't know what the difference is.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-30, 15:14

5NT. I'm worried of missing 7, but I don't think it's possible to bid a grand here with certainty.
0

#7 User is offline   athene 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 25
  • Joined: 2008-September-28

Posted 2009-May-31, 08:49

I think it's very close between doubling and getting partner to pick a slam. Perhaps it depends exactly how often partner is likely to pull a double and/or how aggressive opponents are. We might also get a bit of extra value from opponents saccing in 6 (7?) hearts - again helps to know them.
`We shall creep out quietly into the butler's pantry - ' cried the Mole.
` - with our pistols and swords and sticks - ' shouted the Rat.
` - and rush in upon them,' said the Badger.
` - and whack 'em, and whack 'em, and whack 'em!' cried the Toad in ecstasy, running round and round the room, and jumping over the chairs.
0

#8 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-31, 13:49

athene, on May 31 2009, 09:49 AM, said:

I think it's very close between doubling and getting partner to pick a slam.  Perhaps it depends exactly how often partner is likely to pull a double and/or how aggressive opponents are.  We might also get a bit of extra value from opponents saccing in 6 (7?) hearts - again helps to know them.

Kokish would double I'm pretty sure.

When I first was given this problem I doubled. I think its very possible partner has 5♠'s and we aren't getting to spades unless we double. Certainly we'd double with Axx Ax AKQ QTxxx?

4N is my second choice.

I think forcing this hand to slam is playing partner for very specific cards, but thats me, and I recognize it could be very right.

I have no idea what was right at the table. This problem was passed around bewteen some (mostly) Canadian experts last week and the consensus was 4N.

Edit: whoa I just looked at the poll results. wtf...
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#9 User is offline   O_Bones 

  • Pip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 1
  • Joined: 2007-August-16

Posted 2009-May-31, 21:40

Interesting results so far. Two of the non-mostly Canucks to vote for 4NT were Passell and Mohan. Whaddathey know? O wait. Duncan Smith and yours truly were also 4NTers. ;)
0

#10 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-31, 22:54

Who is yours truly?
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#11 User is offline   the hog 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-March-07
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Laos
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2009-May-31, 23:00

JLOL, on May 31 2009, 03:03 AM, said:

5H followed by 5N over 5S

Grand slam force in S?
This does not look like a good idea to me. 4NT for me.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.
0

#12 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-31, 23:19

The_Hog, on Jun 1 2009, 12:00 AM, said:

JLOL, on May 31 2009, 03:03 AM, said:

5H followed by 5N over 5S

Grand slam force in S?
This does not look like a good idea to me. 4NT for me.

Yes!
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users