BBO Discussion Forums: More Pre-Empts - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

More Pre-Empts UGH...

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-29, 15:54

All Vulnerable at IMPs you hold:

AKx
xx
KQ9x
AK9x

1♦* - (3♥) - ?

*11-12 if Balanced or 10-15 Unbalanced (1NT would be 13-15 by partner here)
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#2 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 16:46

Double? Seems too obvious. Must be wrong.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#3 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-29, 16:47

Partner bids 3♠, now what?
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#4 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 17:00

mtvesuvius, on May 29 2009, 05:47 PM, said:

Partner bids 3♠, now what?

4♣
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#5 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-29, 17:02

Lol, awesome, lie about your spade length, then clarify by still not showing diamonds!
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#6 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 17:09

4♣ is a diamond flag for me. 4♥ would be a spade flag.

Sure, I don't have a way to bid clubs now, but I can live with that.

But, I guess I should have specified what 4♣ meant. LOL
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#7 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-29, 17:32

How do we know we have a diamond fit? my understanding is that partner can still be 4225 or w/e after 3S.
0

#8 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-May-29, 18:55

JLOL, on May 29 2009, 06:32 PM, said:

How do we know we have a diamond fit? my understanding is that partner can still be 4225 or w/e after 3S.

Oh yeah. Damned nebulous diamond. That really spices things up here.

I suppose now we have a serious problem.

I confess a lack of knowledge here, but it seems to me that after 3♥, maybe a direct 4♥ should be a slammish choice of games whereas a double, followed by some sort of scrambling, might be less interesting. Double, followed by 4♥, intuitively sounds like slammish and partner's call just made me excited. That's what I would expect playing an unbalanced 1♦ opening if partner instead opened a nebulous 1♣ and 3♥ was the overcall.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#9 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-May-29, 19:55

Having doubled (negative) I would just take my game-sized plus with 4♠ and change my methods after this session.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#10 User is offline   hanp 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,987
  • Joined: 2009-February-15

Posted 2009-May-29, 21:57

Double to start with seems clear. It's tough over 3S, maybe 4C isn't so bad.
and the result can be plotted on a graph.
0

#11 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-30, 02:20

Pard's most likely hand is some balanced 11-12. If I bid 4♦ now, there might not be a fit, nor will there be a chance to play 4♠.

I only see 2 bids: 3NT or 4♠. Since Pard could have bid 3NT himself with a good 1-2 stopper(s), I'll try 4♠.

Sure, pard may have an unbalanced good min, but I can't find out.
0

#12 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-30, 03:18

QJxx Ax Axxxx xx is a good grand slam, so I think we should make some effort. Is double then 4♣ forcing? Or perhaps the double was wrong: an immediate 4♣ would at least have fished out some information about diamond length.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-30, 13:09

I like double then 5NT. Maybe it's not perfect but at least if partner has 5 in either minor we will hear about it, and maybe (?) if he has 4. I'm not that worried about lack of heart control, I have so many outside values that I'm simply going to depend on partner for one or hope for another lead. Besides it's hard enough getting to the right strain without adding other concerns.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#14 User is offline   skjaeran 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,727
  • Joined: 2006-June-05
  • Location:Oslo, Norway
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2009-May-30, 13:48

jdonn, on May 30 2009, 08:09 PM, said:

I like double then 5NT. Maybe it's not perfect but at least if partner has 5 in either minor we will hear about it, and maybe (?) if he has 4. I'm not that worried about lack of heart control, I have so many outside values that I'm simply going to depend on partner for one or hope for another lead. Besides it's hard enough getting to the right strain without adding other concerns.

That never occured to me.
Sounds like a good idea.
Kind regards,
Harald
0

#15 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-30, 14:04

jdonn, on May 30 2009, 02:09 PM, said:

I like double then 5NT. Maybe it's not perfect but at least if partner has 5 in either minor we will hear about it, and maybe (?) if he has 4. I'm not that worried about lack of heart control, I have so many outside values that I'm simply going to depend on partner for one or hope for another lead. Besides it's hard enough getting to the right strain without adding other concerns.

Way too optimistic imo.
0

#16 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-May-30, 14:07

jdonn, on May 30 2009, 12:02 AM, said:

Lol, awesome, lie about your spade length, then clarify by still not showing diamonds!

Disagree. I think dbl is an honest bid, it doesn´t show spades.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users