Pushed them up
#21
Posted 2009-May-20, 21:58
4♠ is nuts at any other colors. Here it's hyper-aggressive but I grudgingly admire it.
Bidding 5 over 5 without a void or a known MONSTER fit or double fit ... Shrug. It's not like 7 IMPs (+200 vs -100) is particularly cheap 'insurance.' While I'd probably bid 5♠ I wouldn't consider it 'clear'. I'd more hope to get lucky (and find it easier to justify in the post-mortem if it's wrong than never showing support with this hand.)
#23
Posted 2009-May-21, 00:17
#24
Posted 2009-May-21, 08:24
PFormaini, on May 20 2009, 11:17 PM, said:
I admire your logic - but that damn 10 of clubs is SO alluring!
Indeed it is:
Without 10
With 10
Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
#25
Posted 2009-May-21, 08:53
hanp, on May 19 2009, 01:00 AM, said:
x
Jxx
AK10xx
White against red, LHO deals. IMPs.
(2H) - p - (4H) - 4S
(p) - p - (5H) - p
(p) - ??
You may not agree with the earlier passes, comments are very welcome. If you can stand my bidding this far, what would you do now?
The original pass over 2♥ was not the point of this thread, but so many of you said that you would have doubled 2♥ that I have to go back to it.
It would never have occurred to me to double 2♥. IMO, a direct seat action over a preempt has to show solid values - an above-average opening bid or a pure takeout double. This hand is either not even an opening bid or just barely an opening bid. Yet most of the posters say they would have acted in direct seat over 2♥.
Have the standards for direct actions over preempts fallen so dramatically (just like the standards for opening the bidding)? Or are the posters just hyperactive?
[As for fourth-seat's 4♠ bid, grudging admiration is not the term I would use to describe it]
I would have passed over 2♥ and my partner would have passed over 4♥. We would have collected 100 and gone onto the next hand without any problem. Admittedly, we might have missed a good sac in 4♠, but life is tough sometimes.
#26
Posted 2009-May-21, 09:03
By acting with such weak hands, you increase the element of uncertainty that surrounds such auctions in the first place - partner really has no way to judge the auction without some idea of a range of hands doubler might hold. It would be similar to an initial T.O. double double of 1H with Jxxx, x, Axxx, Qxxx. There is no way partner can successfully judge the auction with such a huge range of possible hands.
The 4S bid was not justified in my opinion because there was no reason to believe 4H was anything but strong - bidding 4S over 4H is a good idea when there is a preemptive opening of 4H, but loses its attractiveness in other situations.
#27
Posted 2009-May-21, 14:25
Phil, on May 21 2009, 09:24 AM, said:
PFormaini, on May 20 2009, 11:17 PM, said:
I admire your logic - but that damn 10 of clubs is SO alluring!
Indeed it is:
Without 10
With 10
Phil:
Thanks for those links! I did not know that the Kaplan/Rubens Hand Evaluator was available online! I always admired Edgar Kaplan and his hand evaluation theories so very much - and I obviously recall his position on suits bolstered by lower 'fillers'.
Good to see his lesson took.
From the continued posts, I think we can conclude that the eventual 4♠ bid was an overbid, since even it would have been a 'sacrifice'.
#28
Posted 2009-May-21, 17:56
I was relieved to find that it was partner who bid 4♠.
#29
Posted 2009-May-21, 17:57
#30
Posted 2009-May-21, 22:38
mikeh, on May 21 2009, 06:56 PM, said:
Obviously, my initial post contains a contradiction. So as so often in bridge you have to guess what is going on. Either Han wrote LHO when he meant RHO, or he posted the auction incorrectly and bid idiotically. Your guess, having read some of Han's posting history might help.
#31
Posted 2009-May-21, 22:41
Quantumcat, on May 21 2009, 06:57 PM, said:
It seems that most here do not always follow this rule. I think a big factor here is that we really good support for partner and we haven't shown it yet.

Help
