BBO Discussion Forums: Your plan? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your plan?

Poll: What do you bid? (19 member(s) have cast votes)

What do you bid?

  1. Pass (3 votes [15.79%])

    Percentage of vote: 15.79%

  2. Dbl (3 votes [15.79%])

    Percentage of vote: 15.79%

  3. 2NT (3 votes [15.79%])

    Percentage of vote: 15.79%

  4. 3C (7 votes [36.84%])

    Percentage of vote: 36.84%

  5. 3D (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  6. other (3 votes [15.79%])

    Percentage of vote: 15.79%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-May-12, 03:47

Playing against good opps you hold:
Scoring: MP


The auction starts:
1♦ - pass - pass - 1♠
pass - 2♦* - ?
2♦ = (4)5+♥

What's your call?

EDIT: vulnerability was wrong, nobody vulnerable
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#2 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2009-May-12, 05:07

I like 2NT now , showing long ♣s , and also length in ♦, so partner can appreciate the degree of fit.

But , I strongly disagree with the pass on the previous round.
I dont believe in Passing partner's opening NV Vs VUL , with any hand with shape.
0

#3 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-May-12, 05:13

Would have responded on the previous round. Because of that, I wonder if partner can still play me for this good of a hand. If I had 4D-6C I would definitely have responded right? Well in that case, I now make the 2H/2S/2NT call, whichever one shows 3D-6+C :) That sorta does make sense doesn't it, I mean, what else can I have, having passed on the first round.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#4 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-May-12, 05:32

I also hate the initial pass.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#5 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-May-12, 06:52

The first pass is awful. Now I like 2NT, showing the minors. It's implied that I probably only have 3 or 4♦, so I should have probably 6+♣ although or rare occaisions I may have 5. Partner should be able to figure this out, although I'm worried he'll play me for a weaker hand.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-May-12, 06:56

Didn't think of 2NT but I like it. Actually I like 3NT even better.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#7 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-May-12, 10:58

Since I don't know the partnership's methods or style, I am not going to say the initial pass is awful. I know a lot of fine players who would pass this hand.

I would bid 3♣ now, not 2NT. A 4 card disparity between clubs and diamonds is too much just to offer a choice. I must have some diamond tolerance or I would not be bidding at the 3 level after showing such a poor hand with my initial pass.
0

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-12, 11:04

ArtK78, on May 12 2009, 11:58 AM, said:

I must have some diamond tolerance or I would not be bidding at the 3 level after showing such a poor hand with my initial pass.

I think passing would be pretty awful with xxx Kx x JTxxxxx.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#9 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-May-12, 11:35

Free, on May 12 2009, 04:47 AM, said:

Playing against good opps you hold:
Scoring: MP


The auction starts:
1♦ - pass - pass

No, it does not.
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-12, 15:59

Pard either has an unbalanced min with 5+ diamonds or a balanced 12-14. It is therefore safe to bid.

I'm not sure I would have thought of 2NT, but it's definitely a good bid (if pard is on the same wavelength).
0

#11 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-May-12, 17:56

3C
0

#12 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-May-12, 19:11

No strong feelings about pass the 1st round. Isn't it nice we get a 2nd chance to show our hand? 3♣ for me.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#13 User is offline   Free 

  • mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,728
  • Joined: 2003-July-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Belgium
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2009-May-13, 04:02

Why so much objection to the pass? You all like 1NT better? Or 3NT if partner is strong?
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
0

#14 User is online   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-May-13, 09:30

mich-b, on May 12 2009, 06:07 AM, said:

I like 2NT now , showing long ♣s , and also length in ♦, so partner can appreciate the degree of fit.

But , I strongly disagree with the  pass on the previous round.
I dont believe in Passing partner's opening NV Vs VUL , with any hand with shape.

Do you pre-alert this? Do you announce, on your CC, that at favourable, partner's one-level suit opening is forcing?

Either you do or you are playing a HIGHLY unethical method. Or, maybe, you are exaggerating your approach?

I know that it is popular to claim to be ultra-aggressive, and a lot of players are... and some of them win a lot, while others don't... and I can sympathize with and might sometimes make a bid on this hand on round one, but to claim that passing is an error, let alone a serious error, is absurd.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#15 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-13, 10:15

If you respond 1NT you're quite likely to hear 2NT or two of a major. If I knew that I could get back to 3♣ after 2NT, I'd be happy to respond, but otherwise I'd pass.

Having passed, I don't think 2NT now shows such disparity - 2236 would be more typical. On this hand we'll probably belong in clubs even opposite a singleton honour, so I bid 3♣.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#16 User is offline   gwnn 

  • Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,027
  • Joined: 2006-June-16
  • Gender:Male
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2009-May-13, 11:06

mikeh, on May 13 2009, 05:30 PM, said:

mich-b, on May 12 2009, 06:07 AM, said:

I like 2NT now , showing long ♣s , and also length in ♦, so partner can appreciate the degree of fit.

But , I strongly disagree with the  pass on the previous round.
I dont believe in Passing partner's opening NV Vs VUL , with any hand with shape.

Do you pre-alert this? Do you announce, on your CC, that at favourable, partner's one-level suit opening is forcing?

Either you do or you are playing a HIGHLY unethical method. Or, maybe, you are exaggerating your approach?

I know that it is popular to claim to be ultra-aggressive, and a lot of players are... and some of them win a lot, while others don't... and I can sympathize with and might sometimes make a bid on this hand on round one, but to claim that passing is an error, let alone a serious error, is absurd.

Um... ?
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin
0

#17 User is online   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,931
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-May-13, 11:35

gwnn, on May 13 2009, 12:06 PM, said:

mikeh, on May 13 2009, 05:30 PM, said:

mich-b, on May 12 2009, 06:07 AM, said:

I like 2NT now , showing long ♣s , and also length in ♦, so partner can appreciate the degree of fit.

But , I strongly disagree with the  pass on the previous round.
I dont believe in Passing partner's opening NV Vs VUL , with any hand with shape.

Do you pre-alert this? Do you announce, on your CC, that at favourable, partner's one-level suit opening is forcing?

Either you do or you are playing a HIGHLY unethical method. Or, maybe, you are exaggerating your approach?

I know that it is popular to claim to be ultra-aggressive, and a lot of players are... and some of them win a lot, while others don't... and I can sympathize with and might sometimes make a bid on this hand on round one, but to claim that passing is an error, let alone a serious error, is absurd.

Um... ?

um? meaning what?

We have seen a lot of posts, in various threads, in which posters claim that they never pass their partner's opening bids, in various situations... yet not one of them ever posts that they announce this practice. I happen to think that the style is difficult to play since we couple, in standard, wide range openings with wider range responses, and we can end up with partner making a gf jumpshift with, say, 19 hcp, and responder forced to bid with a misfitting zero count, but that pales in comparison to the ethical issues... which no-one seems to want to recognize.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#18 User is offline   Echognome 

  • Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,386
  • Joined: 2005-March-22

Posted 2009-May-13, 11:51

Mike - I think it's because there is a difference between "with any hand shape" and "with any hand with shape".

As the poster does not define "with shape", this could be anywhere from quite controversial to quite obvious. I'm sure no one will pass 1♣ with xxxxxxxx xxx xx ---. And yet most would pass 1♠ with xx xxx xxx xxxxx. So it just depends on what the poster really means.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright
0

#19 User is offline   cherdanno 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,640
  • Joined: 2009-February-16

Posted 2009-May-13, 11:57

Wow, some are really arguing in favor of the first round pass? Isn't this obviously (to all except bean-, sorry, hcp-counters) a better hand than all the balanced 6 hcp hands we automatically respond with?

(Yeah I admit, I only posted this since I couldn't pass up the opportunity to call Mike a "hcp-counter".)
"Are you saying that LTC merits a more respectful dismissal?"
0

#20 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-13, 12:06

mikeh, on May 13 2009, 10:30 AM, said:

mich-b, on May 12 2009, 06:07 AM, said:

I like 2NT now , showing long ♣s , and also length in ♦, so partner can appreciate the degree of fit.

But , I strongly disagree with the  pass on the previous round.
I dont believe in Passing partner's opening NV Vs VUL , with any hand with shape.

Do you pre-alert this? Do you announce, on your CC, that at favourable, partner's one-level suit opening is forcing?

I'm curious why you immediately think to ask this question of people who respond extremely light to opening bids. I might be misreading, but it seems awfully cynical to me.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users