BBO Discussion Forums: Support Diamonds with 3 ? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Support Diamonds with 3 ?

#1 User is offline   mich-b 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 584
  • Joined: 2008-November-27

Posted 2009-May-11, 07:27

Scoring: MP

1♦-(1♥)-?

Playing 2/1 , 1♦ can be 3 only with 44Majors, otherwise 4+.

What is your choice ?
And specifically what do you think about 2♦?
0

#2 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-May-11, 07:47

I like 2♦. The playing strength is adequate for the 4-3 fit and I doubt pard has the 4-4-3-2 hand.

It sure beats pass :P
0

#3 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-May-11, 07:48

I guess that 2 ♦ would lead to a 8 or more card fit quite often. So it would work as long as partner has no descissson to make what to do after a highet level prempt. In this case, he can failheavily when he expects more then xxx in trumps.

I would bid 2 club, playing NFB and 2 diamond else.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#4 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2009-May-11, 08:22

I think 2♦ is clearly the right bid.
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#5 User is offline   Poky 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 508
  • Joined: 2003-July-18
  • Location:Croatia

Posted 2009-May-14, 02:58

I don't like 2♦.

If 1♠ is 4+ spades, I have a clear double.
If double is 4+ spades, I have a clear 1♠ (0-3 spades) bid.
0

#6 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-May-14, 04:27

Unlike some of the other commentators, I'm going to assume that you're asking this question in the context of a system which doesn't have a ready-made bid for this hand.

I'd bid 2♦, planning to compete with 3♣. A 7-card fit will probably play well enough. A 6-card fit might be more awkward, but it won't happen that often and they won't always let us play there when it does - they do have an eight-card spade fit.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#7 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-May-14, 06:47

I find it absolutely clearcut to bid 2♦.
Michael Askgaard
0

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-May-14, 09:55

I never, ever raise diamonds on 3 here. Partner simply overcompetes, it's almost a guarantee. Sure if everyone is barred over 2♦ it will work fine, but they aren't, especially not partner. This is not just an irrational fear on my part, I have seen it happen so many times.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#9 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,215
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-May-14, 10:27

mich-b, on May 11 2009, 08:27 AM, said:

Scoring: MP

1♦-(1♥)-?

Playing 2/1 , 1♦ can be 3 only with 44Majors, otherwise 4+.

What is your choice ?
And specifically what do you think about 2♦?

pass wtp?

why mislead partner about our length?
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users