BBO Discussion Forums: Precision: 1Club-pass- 1diam- opps overcall - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Precision: 1Club-pass- 1diam- opps overcall Opener's Trap pass/balancing obligations

#1 User is offline   Chamaco 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Chess, Bridge, Jazz, European Cinema, Motorbiking, Tango dancing

Posted 2004-May-11, 03:52

Hi all :)

I have a question about the following strong club sequence:

IMPS, all vuln
1- (pass) - 1- (1)
pass-pass- ?

If I am correct, opener's pass shows he is ready to make a penalty pass if pard reopens with a double.
If this is true, my questions then become:

1) How strong must opener be to make a trap pass ? What are the requirements in terms of HCP and length in the overcaller suit ?
e.g.AKxxKxxQJxxAxx
Does this hand meet the requirements ? Or is bidding 1NT safer?

2) Assuming opener's pass is a trap pass, is pard obliged to reopen at any cost, either by double or bidding anything, even holding a yarborough ?

E.g., after the above sequence, what do you bid holding
Hand 1
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Hand 2
xxxxxxxxxxxxx
"Bridge is like dance: technique's important but what really matters is not to step on partner's feet !"

#2 User is offline   flytoox 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-11, 03:55

As far as I know, there is no trap pass after 1c-p-1d-1s; ? Pls refer to hamman and soloway's sys for over intervention.

#3 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-11, 07:33

Im not familier with this but I'm pretty sure a pass cant be only use for a trap pass, the all idea of a trap pass is the ability to show two type of hands with this pass, the trap which will pass partner next bid, and another one which will do something else.

#4 User is offline   mikestar 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-May-11, 10:05

This is not a good position for a trap pass. Strengthen your example hand by an Ace and you still may have trouble setting 1S if partner is broke. A trap pass at the one level really must have five good trumps at least.

A better use is for pass to show weakness (relative to having opend a big club). Typically, this would be a balanced or semibalanced hand without a stopper, not shaped right for a takeout double. You can still trap with excellent spades--if partner reopens with a double (showing some values) you leave it in and bid spades otherwise. If partner leaves it in with a weak hand you may or may not set them with the strong spades, but defending 1S undoubled should be OK, as it is their hand and they have a better fit elsewhere most of the time.

All of the above presupposes that their 1S is natural here--many partnerships use variations of their defense directly over the big club in this position.

#5 User is offline   tysen2k 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-11, 10:21

I agree with the above posts. This isn't an always trap pass situation. It's just too rare of a situation that you'd have the hand that wants to defend 1x for you to use your cheapest bid to show this. Plus you're going to have trouble defining acceptable ranges for your balanced hands if you can't pass without a trump stack. Pass should be a minimum NT (15-17 or 16-18), bid 1NT with more than a minimum (18-20 or 19-21).
A bit of blatant self-pimping - I've got a new poker book that's getting good reviews.

#6 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-May-13, 00:50

tysen2k, on May 11 2004, 06:21 PM, said:

I agree with the above posts.  This isn't an always trap pass situation.  It's just too rare of a situation that you'd have the hand that wants to defend 1x for you to use your cheapest bid to show this.  Plus you're going to have trouble defining acceptable ranges for your balanced hands if you can't pass without a trump stack.  Pass should be a minimum NT (15-17 or 16-18), bid 1NT with more than a minimum (18-20 or 19-21).

I agree too and want to add that best way to bid here is like your normal overcall structure include michaels for example, but with hcp ranges connected to 1 Precision opening. You can play trap pass rebid on opps overcall, only if opening is enough strong to promisse self rebid, like 1 NT ROMEX opening (any strong 2).
Misho
MishoVnBg

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users