BBO Discussion Forums: Defensive problem - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Defensive problem Is this a double bind?

#1 User is offline   xx1943 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 492
  • Joined: 2004-March-11

Posted 2009-March-05, 07:01

Scoring: IMP

N    E   S   W
1♠   p  2N  p
4♠   p   p   p

1) Declarer takes your ♥Q lead in dummy, partner contributes the 7.
2) small ♠ from dummy to declarers Q, partner produces the 3.
3) Declarer plays ♣A partner contributes the 2.
4) Declarer leads ♠Q to partners A while you discard a ♥.
5) Partner plays the ♥10 taken in dummy.
6) ♣Q is ruffed in declarers hand.
7) Declarer leads a ♠ to ♠10, partner follows suit while you discard another ♥.
8) Declarer follows suit when he leads ♥9 to your J while partner discards ♣4

Here you may look the play interactive.

Now it seems you are endplayed:
1) ♥ is triple void and allows declarer a ruff and discard.
2) ♣ is double void and allows declarer a ruff and discard.
3) ♦ seems the best hoping that partner holds the Q.

What do you play and why?

Advanced and experts as usual please answer HIDDEN.
♥♥♥ Play Bridge for fun and entertainment and to meet nice people. ♥♥♥
♠♥♠ BAD bidding may be succesful due to excellent play, but not vice versa. ♦♣♦
Teaching in the BIL TUE 8:00am CET.

Lessons available. For INFO look here: Play bridge with Al
0

#2 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-March-05, 07:19

Spoiler

0

#3 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-March-05, 08:49

What was my club discard?

If declarer has an exact count, I don't see how he can misplay this. But if I gave an incorrect count in clubs, maybe declarer thinks I have 0-2 more clubs?

I agree that declarer has the Q♦ for his bid. Declarer and dummy are both 1040 now. Both sides need diamond tricks - we need 2, declarer needs 3.

Partner has 0023 and I have 0131.

If I lead the J♦ and declarer plays me for having only 2, declarer will duck to the queen and make.

If I lead the K♦, declarer makes straight off.

The play of the 2♦ seems inconsistent with the club count we've given. The only reason I can think of for playing this way is if I have the K2, since leading the King is so obviously wrong. This might entice declarer to play the ace, then duck a diamond to my presumed king, which would be great.

But why wouldn't I play a heart then? Club is right out, as it gives the miscount away. Declarer is always taking the 4th diamond round, so giving a ruff and sluff is meaningless.

But how does declarer play a heart exit, with a presumed 3-2 diamond split the other way?

If partner is KJx, I *think* declarer wins in dummy, cashes the ace, then runs a diamond towards the queen. This also works with Kxx in west, but fails when I hold Kx. (An immediate diamond to the queen endplays me AGAIN, but declarer shouldnt' do that if he thinks I have 2 diamonds.)

Blargh.

...

I think my best play is to exit a heart, and hope declarer misguesses.
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#4 User is offline   y66 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,497
  • Joined: 2006-February-24

Posted 2009-March-05, 10:28

Heart, conceding ruff/sluff.

I think declarer is 5341. If pard has Qx of diamonds, we're always getting 2 diamond tricks. If declarer has Qxxx, won't he play ace then small to the queen?
If you lose all hope, you can always find it again -- Richard Ford in The Sportswriter
0

#5 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-March-10, 10:14

Curious as to the answer, and declarer's "best line".
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#6 User is offline   Trumpace 

  • Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,040
  • Joined: 2005-January-22
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-March-10, 10:37

I think the answer is to not return a ♦. It is probably better to return a heart as declarer knows that you have it and it won't give him any extra information.

Declarer's best line is to ruff in dummy, throwing a ♦ from hand, then play a ♦ to Q, planning to play a ♦ to T later (after coming in with his last trump).

(Frances had started a thread in the A/E forum about declarer's best play: http://forums.bridge...howtopic=30680)
0

#7 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-March-11, 06:39

Well I'm at least glad to see that they're not finding the diamond endplay trivial either.
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users