• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

MAF

#1 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-April-22, 19:01

HI
Does anyone here have some expirence with MAF of have an opinion about it ?

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-April-22, 19:25

MAF... hmm... majors always first. The logic, look for major fit first, since 5 of a minor is a longer way off. Misho and I use some of this concept in our auctions, but a few words of caution.

First, don't try to learn a new system like this without one or two other idio... er, students. It does you little good to learn a new system, if you have great problems finding someone to bid it with you (after I graduated college, I lost all three of my romex partners, and, each of them lost theirs too... so my ROMEX experiment didn't make it out of college.

Second, a system where all four 1 level bids are aimed at expressing the number of cards held in a major, well, should lead to a number of double dummy defenses against good opponents, and worse yet, the 1 and 1 opening bids are very susceptible to preemption, since these bids say nothing about the suit bid.

Other than that, MAF looks sort of fun, but realize all i have done is read the description of hte system from the link on Dan Neill's webpage, so I have absolutely no experience with it.

Ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-April-22, 20:40

Actually this MAF isnt too crazy, it doesnt give that much credit to the major as one could think reading the name, infact i lately i thought of some major first system structers and all of them are giving much more credit to the majors then maf.
I believe majors (and maybe more spade then heart) systems might be the next generation in bidding ,i know that during the history of bridge there have been some systems like that and one might think if they didnt catch during all those years they are probebly not worth it, but i believe something has change , today bidding tend to be more competitve then before, and in competitve the majors (and especially spade) shine as being the higher ranking suits.

#4 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-09, 02:05

It makes a lot of sence that 1 tends to contain a four-card major, and 1 tends not to. But I think one should take the "always" in "majors always first" litterally: open 1 even with a void clubs. This could be forcing, then, so the clubish hands could be moved to 2 and/or 1NT.

In Dutch Doubleton, the 1 response to 1 is negative, so you can't rebid 1NT with less than 18 HCP. Therefore, you sometimes have to rebid 1 on a three-card. In my vision on MAF, you open those hands 1 on a three-card (even on a doubleton if allowed).
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#5 User is offline   mishovnbg 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge - new bidding systems, psyches; Computers - education, service, program; Computer games great fan :-)

Posted 2004-May-09, 03:58

Advantages of using 1/1 as artifical bids by MAF are near equivalent to disadvantages form losing and suits in competition. Because 1 didn't show which major you have nor is type of you hand is with high or low ODR, it will not help you much, even when you know which M your p have, because of opps bidding. Shortly, kind of natural system, worse than std, because you must learn lot of new sequences with similar result.

Misho
MishoVnBg

#6 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-09, 04:47

helene_t, on May 9 2004, 03:05 AM, said:

It makes a lot of sence that 1 tends to contain a four-card major, and 1 tends not to. But I think one should take the "always" in "majors always first" litterally: open 1 even with a void clubs. This could be forcing, then, so the clubish hands could be moved to 2 and/or 1NT.

In Dutch Doubleton, the 1 response to 1 is negative, so you can't rebid 1NT with less than 18 HCP. Therefore, you sometimes have to rebid 1 on a three-card. In my vision on MAF, you open those hands 1 on a three-card (even on a doubleton if allowed).

I play MIDMAC with gijsh, just like you said, in this system 1c always have 4M and 1d alway doesnt.

#7 User is offline   chiel 

• Pip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2004-May-10, 14:01

As the designer of MAF and author of its website I appreciate your interest very much. I can see from some of the remarks in this thread that are some misunderstandings. I can grasp this easily because the description on my internet site is rather tiresome. Therefore I'll repeat shortly the basics of the minor suit opening bids.

In MAF balanced hands with 15-17 HCP are opened 1NT. For opening a major suit you need at least 5 cards in the suit opened.
Hands that are opened with 1 always contain at least a 2-card in , and also have one of the next properties:
a: balanced hands........18-19
b: 5+card .................11-19
c: 6+card ..................8-11
d: 4-card or ...........11-14
e: 4/5,4,4,1/0-distr. .....15-19 (with singleton/void in open 1 :unsure:)
All remaining hands holding 11-19 HCP are opened with 1. As a matter of fact, this is the only correct definition of the 1-opening bid. Please note that this also applies to all hands containing less than 2 clubs.
These 1D-opening hands can now be devided in two classes:
.....................................................................................HCP's
A: 2, 3- or 4-card :................<=3....<=3....>=3....2,3,4......11-14
B: void or singleton :............<=4....<=4....>=4......0,1.......11-19

Class A: contains also the 3-3-3-4 hands with for clubs. This occurs in roughly 10% of the hands that force you to open 1, while as you can see easily most of the 1- distributions allow for many diamonds. Calculation shows that over 50% of the 1-hands contain 5 or more diamonds :D
When class B: hands contain a 4-card major you can show this by rebidding this major suit on your second turn; the major suit rebid is normally is impossible, because you would have had to open differently then :D
You may find more on this on http://web.inter.nl....cc/M.A.F/2r.htm
MAF not only stands for 'Majors Always First' but also for, among many other things: 'Minors Always Forcing' and 'Multi's Are Favorite' :)

Chiel

ps Within a few days I'll leave for a 8-or-so week holiday in Spain/Portugal. My wife insists that I leave all computers back home. So I cannot discuss on the net NE> during that period :(

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2004-May-10, 14:20

Chiel raises an important point:

Spain is a LOVELY destination for vacation. About two years ago I was able to walk across Northern Spain along the Santiago de Compestella. If you have time, IU heartly recommend this as a lovely way to see the country. The Camino is probably mobbed by now (its a holy year), but I had a blast.

Few recommendations. Casa Ekezial in Melide does phenomenal Pulpo...
Granada is lovely.
The Basque region has by far the best food.

SEE THE COUNTRYSIDE....
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-10, 14:21

Hi chiel
good to hear about a system from you just like its good to see zar here when his system is discussed.
For a while im working on systems mainly major related maybe you can help me by answering few questions.
a. do you have expirence playing maf ?
b. how was it , did you get good results ?
c. you 1c/1d are something in between a natural bid and a major description, how does it work in competitve, do you think its better then 1c=4C major 1d=no 4 card major ?

I liked reading your site, but i got to tell you it sometime not too clear, maybe overloaded.

Have a good trip to spain. hf

#10 User is offline   chiel 

• Pip

Posted 2004-May-10, 14:21

Sorry I gave a wrong link, the correct one is: http://web.inter.nl....cc/M.A.F/1r.htm

Chiel

#11 User is offline   chiel 

• Pip

Posted 2004-May-10, 14:40

Hello (rapid reaction) Flame,

a:
I play MAF for about 15 years; during the first 10 years the system was developed.
b:
It was fun, and that's exactly why I play bridge for. I do not play for results, but nevertheless results generally are not bad.
c:
There is no contradiction between the two. Only in case of a singleton/void in clubs you may have to open 1D and also posess a 4-caed major. This is exceptional but, in my opinion,beautifully solved in the system.

Finally I planned to rewrite my site on MAF, but I have many other things which should be done .............. look again after e.g. one year.

I hope this is a correct reply to your questions, Chiel

#12 User is offline   Flame 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-May-10, 16:06

Thxs

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users