• You cannot reply to this topic

Inauguration Day Thoughts?

#1 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:02

I figured we need a thread to discuss thoughts about Obama's speech and Obama's Inauguration... Figures to be amazing... :(

When I posted, Biden was president b/c Bush's term expired at noon EST, and Obama was not yet sworn in.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!

#2 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:24

I feel sorry for Obama - there is no way he can match the hype and expectations. He is, after all, a politician.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#3 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:39

Winstonm, on Jan 20 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

I feel sorry for Obama - there is no way he can match the hype and expectations. He is, after all, a politician.

Obama gave a powerful speech, but did you notice the absence of applause? Yes though, all politicians can try, but they will never live up to their promises. (See David Letterman on Bush's failed promises)

#4 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:49

I think the speech was powerful and articulate, with a great deal of substance. Obama reached out for every peace loving individual in the world.

Congratulations to America on having a president who rates to be great, not only inside the American borders, but also globally.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#5 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:53

Winstonm, on Jan 20 2009, 12:24 PM, said:

He'll be fine. He's replacing an extremely unpopular president; he'll get the credit for almost everything that goes right, and Bush will get the blame for almost everything that goes wrong.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#6 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:25

Walddk, on Jan 20 2009, 12:49 PM, said:

I think the speech was powerful and articulate, with a great deal of substance. Obama reached out for every peace loving individual in the world.

Congratulations to America on having a president who rates to be great, not only inside the American borders, but also globally.

Roland

He also didn't make any promises, except of the "We're going to have hard times. And we're going to face them, and succeed" variety (whatever that means).

#7 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:28

Roland

I too thought the speech was just right, both in eloquence and substance. We face huge tasks, but we need to work together with the rest of the world to accomplish them.

It's a wonderful new day!
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#8 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:54

Roland

Thank you so much.
Ken

#9 User is offline   sireenb 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Bridge, Bridge, Bridge, Music, Art

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:57

It was a great and powerful speech. The rest of the world is not used to receiving such inspiring messages from the US. Obama commands respect and there is a ray of hope for a better world despite the tremendous challenges ahead.

Sireen

#10 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:05

I'm sorry, but no matter what Obama said, he is going to be fine.

Obama is equivalent to the backup goalie in hockey who gets put into the game after the first goalie stinks it up.

Everyone is always cheering for him since he can't do any worse than the goalie who was just in the game.

I'm sure he will do a fine job, but an inaugural speech is hardly meaningful.

#11 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:06

sireenb, on Jan 20 2009, 01:57 PM, said:

It was a great and powerful speech. The rest of the world is not used to receiving such inspiring messages from the US. Obama commands respect and there is a ray of hope for a better world despite the tremendous challenges ahead.

Sireen

...and this is exactly what the US needs now to rebuild the world''s confidence in us, and our worldwide image. I know many people who have travelled in Europe with backpacks and suitcases with a Canadian flag, or some other flag, this is sad, but the world views us as idiots.

#12 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:09

First response: Whoopee!

I thought the speech was very very good. One message that particularly struck me was from his reference to, I guess, the Letters to the Corinthians: When I was a child.... Some call for responsibility from all is very welcome.

Newscasters kept speaking of the expectations we all have of President Obama. . I prefer to say hope. I have no idea if he can deliver. I hope so.

My best wishes to George and Laura Bush in retirement.

Watching and hearing Aretha Franklin was very moving. I swear I first heard her voice some fifty years ago, although the Wik gives her birth date as 1942. A feeling of continuity there.

The piece played just before the swearing in was great.

Good luck to us all.

Added: It was fun seeing people walking on the frozen surface of the reflecting pool. I have skated on that pool. I'm not sure if it was legal but no one stopped me. It's been a while since we have had the weather for it. Maybe I'll take the grandkids
Ken

#13 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:43

mtvesuvius, on Jan 20 2009, 09:06 PM, said:

... but the world views us as idiots.

This is, generally speaking, not true. The world has learned and will still learn a lot from USA, but the biggest mistake the Americans have made is that too many have failed to realise that they can also learn a lot from the world.

I appreciate that this can be difficult to get used to when you are so much bigger than the rest of us. A change of mentality is what's called for in this context, but it is not an impossible task.

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#14 User is offline   TimG 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:47

ASkolnick, on Jan 20 2009, 02:05 PM, said:

Everyone is always cheering for him since he can't do any worse than the goalie who was just in the game.

I seem to recall that there was a goalie pulled a few weeks ago. His replacement did even worse and the starting goalie was sent back in. Maybe I imagined it, though.

#15 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:49

I've never felt the recent presidents of USA (from 80s till now) lived up to the premise of their office. Nobody inspired the respect that one has for a decent human being till Obama. The inspiration factor was missing.

There's a lot to do apart from just proclaiming ideals, but...inspiration is powerful, and a rare quality among these politicians. Maybe that's what the presidency is all about, and what had been lacking before.

<3 Obama
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#16 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:53

Incredible ceremony - something like this would be unthinkable here... But maybe we'll see something similar at the coronation of the Dutch crown prince? Or in England?

Anyway, more like a king than like a president, if you ask me ;)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#17 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:59

Rain, on Jan 20 2009, 02:49 PM, said:

There's a lot to do apart from just proclaiming ideals, but...inspiration is powerful, and a rare quality among these politicians. Maybe that's what the presidency is all about, and what had been lacking before.

<3 Obama

I hope it's about a lot more than that, and I hope we'll get a lot more than that.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#18 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:59

Rain, on Jan 20 2009, 02:49 PM, said:

I've never felt the recent presidents of USA (from 80s till now) lived up to the premise of their office. Nobody inspired the respect that one has for a decent human being till Obama. The inspiration factor was missing.

<3 Obama

JFK was the last president that was inspirational like this... (From what I have heard...) However I agree that most campaign promises are usually forgotten, I have high hopes that this will not happen here. Congrats to Obama on a great start though...

#19 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2009-January-20, 14:57

He made it....phew!

The smoothness and organization of his transition team augurs well for the future. I don't expect too many "I don't recalls" out of this group. ;)
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#20 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2009-January-20, 14:59

Al_U_Card, on Jan 20 2009, 03:57 PM, said:

I don't expect too many "I don't recalls" out of this group. :)

LOL :)

• 7 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users