BBO Discussion Forums: Too many mistakes (3) - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too many mistakes (3) A play problem this time

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-January-20, 10:50

You get to the fourth table and so far it seems a 40% will be your result. The first board at this table had you and your partner misdefend a game in a Major. Now it's your turn to finally get back a bit:

Scoring: MP


1♣ 1♠ 3NT All Pass

You receive a spade lead to the Ace and a continuation, how do you continue?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#2 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:01

Hanoi5, on Jan 20 2009, 11:50 AM, said:

You receive a spade lead to the Ace and a continuation, how do you continue?

Can you clarify this? Did lefty lead low or high etc..would be nice to know if spades are 53 or 62 and we should know already.
0

#3 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:20

A small spade was led, inducing you to think (correctly but you shoudn't know it yet) that spades are 3-5.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:46

I take two club finesses.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#5 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,959
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:26

I cash the club Ace first, which caters to stiff K or KJ tight offside... maybe this comes from playing too much imps.. but my rho made a 1♠ overcall on Axxxx and, if he lacks the club K, not another high card control in his hand. If I knew him to be aggressive, I would take the double hook instead, but against an unknown player, I'll make the safety play even at mps... but it is very close, imo.

While the safety play adds little to our chances, it doesn't cost much... it costs nothing if rho holds the King, which is, imo, way over 50%
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#6 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-January-20, 16:47

Contract seems normal, so I'll just take the 2 club finesses. If one holds, I might have a red squeeze or somefink later.

Safety is nice, but that misses the chance to score 12 tricks when both finesses works.
0

#7 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-January-21, 01:48

I agree with mike, why take a finesse that is bound to fail?
Okay your opponents always bid 1 Spade with Axxxx,Qxx,Qxx,xx?
I don't care, I still make my game.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#8 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-January-21, 04:10

Quote

Safety is nice, but that misses the chance to score 12 tricks when both finesses works.


Even though I agree that I don't want to miss 12 tricks, there were two things that talked me out of double-finessing in clubs:

1. I needed a top or a good result, so it was some sort of shooting.
2. RHO had intervened.

Many declarers went down, RHO had KJ doubleton in clubs.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users