BBO Discussion Forums: Too many mistakes (6) - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Too many mistakes (6) Metagaming, craziness or what?

Poll: You (21 member(s) have cast votes)

You

  1. Pass (9 votes [42.86%])

    Percentage of vote: 42.86%

  2. Double (2 votes [9.52%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.52%

  3. 1H (2 votes [9.52%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.52%

  4. 1S (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

  5. 1NT (8 votes [38.10%])

    Percentage of vote: 38.10%

  6. Other (0 votes [0.00%])

    Percentage of vote: 0.00%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:48

Against a good pair at this table you face the second board after getting nailed in the first. You pick up a nice hand:

♠Qxxx
♥AKxx
♦AQxx
♣10

With no-one vulnerable you're preparing to open 1♦ (your partner, who dealt, passes in front of you) when you see that bid from RHO. What do you bid now?

Hidden spoilers and question:
Spoiler

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#2 User is offline   JLOL 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,033
  • Joined: 2008-December-05

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:55

Pass the first time.

In your actual auction I would bid 4S over 3H and don't think it's close.
0

#3 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-January-20, 11:55

I would have just passed.

Given this start I've got something to think about I guess. Immediate reaction is to get my gun but upon reflection I think that 4♠ probably is a make, so I'll bid that.

Edit: I guess it really depends on HOW good these guys are. Probably they're leading trumps which could destroy me (unless partner turns up with K10xxx it would be ok maybe). They must know they're at risk of pushing us to game, which is a minus, but they can't possibly envision my stiff club... I'm less sure but I'll still bid, I think.
Kevin Fay
0

#4 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:41

Pass the first time, hoping to be able to show this hand on the next round. A 1NT overcall risks playing in notrumps when you should be in a major, playing in clubs when you should be somewhere else, and defending two of a suit when you should be playing your 4-4 major-suit fit. Even if it goes
  1♦ 1NT 2♣ pass
  pass dbl
which is quite a good start, it's quite likely that partner will misjudge, expecting you to have a doubleton rather than a singleton.

Would
  1♦ pass 1♥ pass
  2♥ 2♠
show this hand?

With your actual auction, I'd move the small spade back to where it came from and bid 4♠ over 3♥, but it's a bit of a guess. He might have as little as KJ10xx x xxx xxxx, which gives us play, but it isn't a great contract.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#5 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:54

kfay, on Jan 20 2009, 12:55 PM, said:

I would have just passed. 

Given this start I've got something to think about I guess.  Immediate reaction is to get my gun but upon reflection I think that 4♠ probably is a make, so I'll bid that.

Edit:  I guess it really depends on HOW good these guys are.  Probably they're leading trumps which could destroy me (unless partner turns up with K10xxx it would be ok maybe).  They must know they're at risk of pushing us to game, which is a minus, but they can't possibly envision my stiff club... I'm less sure but I'll still bid, I think.

I agree. What do we do when LHO passes, partner Xfer's to ♣? This is unlikely, but pass cannot hurt you. My 2nd choice is a 1♥ bid
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#6 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-January-20, 12:54

I also would pass the first time, but on the auction as it occurred I would bid the spade game. And I would bid the spade game immediately - I would not "compete to 3♠." Game could claim opposite Kxxxx of spades and out in partner's hand (2-2 spades and the ♦K onside, 2 club ruffs in dummy).
0

#7 User is offline   mikeh 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 13,959
  • Joined: 2005-June-15
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Canada
  • Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2009-January-20, 13:18

ArtK78, on Jan 20 2009, 01:54 PM, said:

I also would pass the first time, but on the auction as it occurred I would bid the spade game. And I would bid the spade game immediately - I would not "compete to 3♠." Game could claim opposite Kxxxx of spades and out in partner's hand (2-2 spades and the ♦K onside, 2 club ruffs in dummy).

agreed
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari
0

#8 User is offline   OleBerg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,950
  • Joined: 2008-April-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Copenhagen
  • Interests:Model-Railways.

Posted 2009-January-20, 14:41

I bid 1nt the first time. I might pass if facing conservative bidders, but I would rather get in now, than later at a higher level.

3♠ is insane (unless it is an attempt to be doubled in 4♠). Game is excellent facing:

♠ xxxxxx
♥ xx
♦ xx
♣ xxx
_____________________________________

Do not underestimate the power of the dark side. Or the ninth trumph.

Best Regards Ole Berg

_____________________________________

We should always assume 2/1 unless otherwise stated, because:

- If the original poster didn't bother to state his system, that means that he thinks it's obvious what he's playing. The only people who think this are 2/1 players.


Gnasher
0

#9 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-January-20, 16:49

Like the LOL man.

By the way, I take it that's justin?
0

#10 User is offline   akhare 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,261
  • Joined: 2005-September-04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-20, 23:20

Hanoi5, on Jan 20 2009, 12:48 PM, said:

Against a good pair at this table you face the second board after getting nailed in the first. You pick up a nice hand:

♠Qxxx
♥AKxx
♦AQxx
♣10

With no-one vulnerable you're preparing to open 1♦ (your partner, who dealt, passes in front of you) when you see that bid from RHO. What do you bid now?

Hidden spoilers and question:
Spoiler

I have no problems bidding 1♥ on this hand. Good suit, length in their suit, opening hand...
foobar on BBO
0

#11 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-January-21, 01:05

I pass and I don't think its close. With some luck I can double a 2♣ call on my right.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#12 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-January-21, 02:17

1 NT has two serious flaws: it is quite on the lower end and the clubs are too short.
When it goes 1 ♦ 1 NT x 2♣ X or something similar, you better call for a doctor. Someone will need it after the board.

So I pass and pray. But I accept that most bidding sequences now won't let me compete again.
Say 1♦ pass 1 NT pass pass
1 ♦ pass 1 M pass 1NT
1 ♦ pass 1M pass 2 M
1 ♦ pass x ♦ pass pass

Of course it is often best to let them play, but....

After the brave bid you made, I join the chorus and try 4 ♠.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#13 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-January-21, 05:02

Codo, on Jan 21 2009, 09:17 AM, said:

1♦ pass 1 NT pass pass
I'd double, showing a flawed takeout double, then convert 2♣ to 2♦.

Quote

1 ♦ pass 1M pass 2 M
If their major were hearts, I'd bid 2♠. On a good day, partner will expect this to be only a 4-card suit, and will infer that I have a minor as well. This might not work well opposite a 2236 shape, but then nor would 1NT.

Quote

1 ♦ pass x ♦ pass pass
If they've made a non-forcing raise to the two level, we could back in with 2♥, again suggesting only four and therefore another suit as well. I agree that over 3♦ we're probably stuffed.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#14 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2009-January-21, 05:30

It would have been:

1♦ Pass 1♥ Pass
1NT

And then we are fixed. 2♠ doesn't look good then, does it?

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#15 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-January-21, 06:28

gnasher, on Jan 21 2009, 08:02 PM, said:

Codo, on Jan 21 2009, 09:17 AM, said:

1♦ pass 1 NT pass pass
I'd double, showing a flawed takeout double, then convert 2♣ to 2♦.

Okay, this will work- as long as partner will not play us for a diamond stack and a penalty double of diamonds. But I think, he should get it right.

Quote

Quote

1 ♦ pass 1M pass 2 M
If their major were hearts, I'd bid 2♠. On a good day, partner will expect this to be only a 4-card suit, and will infer that I have a minor as well. This might not work well opposite a 2236 shape, but then nor would 1NT.


On a bad day, he plays you for a raptor kind hand with 5 clubs and a hand where you judged not to come in at the first round.
Maybe he even plays you for a hand with 7-8 HCPS and 5 Spades, with which you did not like to enter the bidding first round.

Quote

Quote

1 ♦ pass x ♦ pass pass
If they've made a non-forcing raise to the two level, we could back in with 2♥, again suggesting only four and therefore another suit as well. I agree that over 3♦ we're probably stuffed.


Yes this is really easy. 2 Heart obviously must promise a two suiter. But surely with clubs, because else, why didn't you double for the majors?

To be honest, I have no clue how my regular partner would understand these bids. I may have even misunderstandings opposite myself here. :)
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users