BBO Discussion Forums: Rebid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rebid? one from the club...

#1 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2009-January-17, 23:05

♠Txx
♥ATxx
♦AKTxx
♣A


Opponents silent at matchpoints...Anyone have a preferred alternative to a 15-point reverse after 1♦-1♠?
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#2 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-January-17, 23:11

This looks like a 2♠ raise to me. If partner needs to know, partner can raise ask with 2NT, I will bid 3♦ (Maximum with 3♠). Otherwise, I have described my hand. I don't think this is worth a reverse.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#3 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-January-17, 23:11

Slow roll with 2♠.

If I reverse, my next call will be 3♠ which guarantees we reach game and also precludes 3NT when partner has moderate clubs. 2♠ keeps in play

* doubling the opponents if they come in
* 3NT
* diamond contract
* spade partial -- and there's no reason to assume that we're making a game yet

Someone will surely point out that this is another win for 1m-1M; 2♣ artificial handing many death hands.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#4 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,253
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-17, 23:17

I understand raising 1s to 2s.....I also understand if pard opens 1nt.
0

#5 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-January-17, 23:45

two spades
0

#6 User is offline   Phil 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 10,094
  • Joined: 2008-December-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:North Texas, USA
  • Interests:Mountain Biking

Posted 2009-January-18, 00:40

2♠ but can live with a 1N opening.

Reversing is out of the question.
Hi y'all!

Winner - BBO Challenge bracket #6 - February, 2017.
0

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-18, 02:25

I'll reverse. I don't think I've ever reversed with a 4-5 15 count, but A A AK T T T and three card support for partner, what can I say? I think it's too easy for 2♠ to miss game.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#8 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-January-18, 05:33

Easy reverse. I reverse with 15 on a regular basis for systemic reasons.
0

#9 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-January-19, 04:49

Agree with Josh. 2 Spade looks like Txx, Axxx,Akxxx,x f.e.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#10 User is offline   gnasher 

  • Andy Bowles
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,993
  • Joined: 2007-May-03
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:London, UK

Posted 2009-January-19, 05:26

Codo, on Jan 19 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Agree with Josh. 2 Spade looks like Txx, Axxx,Akxxx,x f.e.

Are you saying that would be a minimum 2♠ bid? If so, I don't see why adding a singleton ace and two tens makes it into more than a maximum.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
0

#11 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-January-19, 06:17

Aces, Kings and Tens also get me. I will also reverse.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#12 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2009-January-19, 08:45

gnasher, on Jan 19 2009, 08:26 PM, said:

Codo, on Jan 19 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Agree with Josh. 2 Spade looks like Txx, Axxx,Akxxx,x f.e.

Are you saying that would be a minimum 2♠ bid? If so, I don't see why adding a singleton ace and two tens makes it into more than a maximum.

Nice point. But as a 2 Spade response normally is around 11-15 HCPS, an Ace difference could be enough to make a stronger bid.

And no, A,AK and a stiff are not minimum.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-19, 09:21

gnasher, on Jan 19 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

Codo, on Jan 19 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Agree with Josh. 2 Spade looks like Txx, Axxx,Akxxx,x f.e.

Are you saying that would be a minimum 2♠ bid? If so, I don't see why adding a singleton ace and two tens makes it into more than a maximum.

For clarification, and I bet you would have guessed this, I would bid 2♠ with Txx ATxx AQTxx A.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#14 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-January-19, 10:08

jdonn, on Jan 19 2009, 10:21 AM, said:

gnasher, on Jan 19 2009, 06:26 AM, said:

Codo, on Jan 19 2009, 11:49 AM, said:

Agree with Josh. 2 Spade looks like Txx, Axxx,Akxxx,x f.e.

Are you saying that would be a minimum 2♠ bid? If so, I don't see why adding a singleton ace and two tens makes it into more than a maximum.

For clarification, and I bet you would have guessed this, I would bid 2♠ with Txx ATxx AQTxx A.

Josh, why is the playing strength of this hand so much less?* Even if partner has a doubleton diamond the difference in value between ♦AKT and ♦AQT is very small since we probably need to attack diamonds anyway if we hope to make 10 tricks.

I'd say that on hands where partner is passing a raise to 2♠, we are less than a 50% favorite to make a game. And if partner has good spades and little else, 2♠ should be our highest scoring partscore. And if partner has bad spades and a little else, at least we protected our plus. The danger hand for a raise to 2♠ is something like J8xxx, Kxx, Qxx, Kx which is probably 60-70% to make 4♠ and 3NT rolls unless diamonds fail to come in (and makes an overtrick in practice if diamonds and hearts play, and they misdefend or spades block). But if I reverse and partner has that hand, the auction is going to end in 4♠, not 3NT.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#15 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-19, 10:22

xcurt, on Jan 19 2009, 11:08 AM, said:

Josh, why is the playing strength of this hand so much less?

I didn't say it was "so much less". It's simply where I have a cutoff. Everyone has a cutoff somewhere, which means there will be two hands on either side of it that differ by very little. Since I admit this is the very minimum I would reverse with (generally not with this shape and strength at all), then naturally a hand that's only a little worse would not be a reverse.

Quote

I'd say that on hands where partner is passing a raise to 2♠, we are less than a 50% favorite to make a game.

I agree. However I do not thinking missing a game (for example) 40% of the time is very good. Do you?

Quote

And if partner has good spades and little else, 2♠ should be our highest scoring partscore.

AKQxx xxx xx xxx is 'good spades and little else' I would say.

Quote

And if partner has bad spades and a little else, at least we protected our plus.  The danger hand for a raise to 2♠ is something like J8xxx, Kxx, Qxx, Kx which is probably 60-70% to make 4♠ and 3NT rolls unless diamonds fail to come in (and makes an overtrick in practice if diamonds and hearts play, and they misdefend or spades block).  But if I reverse and partner has that hand, the auction is going to end in 4♠, not 3NT.

I would always admit 2♥ (edited, I mistakently typed 2♠ before) can get us too high, just like you would always admit 2♠ can lead to a missed game. I don't feel the need to enumerate the cases.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#16 User is offline   xcurt 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 612
  • Joined: 2007-December-31
  • Location:Bethesda, Maryland, USA

Posted 2009-January-19, 10:30

jdonn, on Jan 19 2009, 11:22 AM, said:

Quote

I'd say that on hands where partner is passing a raise to 2♠, we are less than a 50% favorite to make a game.

I agree. However I do not thinking missing a game (for example) 40% of the time is very good. Do you?

If the alternative is stopping in a making partscore then yes. I'm claiming that if we reverse, we'll almost always reach game, so we should not reverse if it's a favorite to get us a minus score.
"It is not enough to be a good player. You must also play well." -- Tarrasch
0

#17 User is offline   hrothgar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,725
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Natick, MA
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2009-January-19, 10:58

Lobowolf, on Jan 18 2009, 08:05 AM, said:

♠Txx
♥ATxx
♦AKTxx
♣A


Opponents silent at matchpoints...Anyone have a preferred alternative to a 15-point reverse after 1♦-1♠?

A 1NT opening....

Having opened 1♦, I'll raise to 2♠
Alderaan delenda est
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users