BBO Discussion Forums: Ruh Roh - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Ruh Roh

#1 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-January-06, 20:23

Matchpoints, All Red, First Seat

♠Axxxxx ♥AKQ ♦98xx ♣void

1♠ - (Dbl) - Rdbl - (P)
P - (2♣) - Dbl - (P)
?
0

#2 User is offline   Mbodell 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,871
  • Joined: 2007-April-22
  • Location:Santa Clara, CA

Posted 2009-January-06, 20:57

I pass. Partner's rdbl would put me into a forcing auction and his immediate dbl of 2♣ suggests a strong penalty inclination. With my quite possible 4 defensive tricks and a likely bad split with partners clubs I'd defend.
0

#3 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2009-January-06, 20:58

Mbodell, on Jan 6 2009, 09:57 PM, said:

I pass. Partner's rdbl would put me into a forcing auction and his immediate dbl of 2♣ suggests a strong penalty inclination. With my quite possible 4 defensive tricks and a likely bad split with partners clubs I'd defend.

Agreed.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#4 User is offline   qwery_hi 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 493
  • Joined: 2008-July-10
  • Location:Los Angeles, CA, USA

Posted 2009-January-06, 21:54

I'm a coward - I'll bid 2♠. I think the clubs are too evenly divided between the
opponents and we could still have game opposite Hx in spades in partners hand.
Alle Menschen werden bruder.

Where were you while we were getting high?
0

#5 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-January-06, 22:41

@#$!

I feel like I've got 4 tricks I guess.....

I'm not happy about passing, obv, but I guess I'll do it.
Kevin Fay
0

#6 User is online   mike777 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 18,258
  • Joined: 2003-October-07
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-06, 22:44

I never have this much defense..happy to pass.
0

#7 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-January-07, 04:46

I'm a chicken, I bid 2♦
0

#8 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-January-07, 05:25

2S. Shows extra values because I didn't bid it at once over the redouble.

While passing is right if partner has a 'standalone' penalty double of clubs (e.g. after 1S 2C P P I would be happy to double), double here is usually a little more cooperative. I'm concerned about being +100 against our partial, or +300/500 against our game.
0

#9 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-January-07, 05:31

FrancesHinden, on Jan 7 2009, 04:25 AM, said:

I'm concerned about being +100 against our partial, or +300/500 against our game.

All vulnerable, Frances.
0

#10 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2009-January-07, 08:03

There is no way I am passing with 6 spades and a void in clubs.

Sorry partner if you have KQJTx of clubs.

I bid 2♠.

[When I saw the title to this thread, I was hoping the problem would involve Astro - LOL]
0

#11 User is offline   helene_t 

  • The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,401
  • Joined: 2004-April-22
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Odense, Denmark
  • Interests:History, languages

Posted 2009-January-07, 08:21

Maybe stupid question, but aren't we forced to pass here, having failed to bid at the previous round? I thought pass-and-pull shows strength.

Oops I think that only applies if RHO rather than LHO had bid 2♣.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket
0

#12 User is offline   keylime 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Posts: 2,735
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville, TN
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

  Posted 2009-January-07, 09:04

I'm passing. Pard likely has a no-fit hand and I'm going to enjoy defending with my four defensive tricks - I can imagine this defense....

<in a dreamy state of bliss>

...pard leads me a spade, ooh, dummy is 4-3-4-2 with a doubleton club. I'll win the A♠, it holds. Nice. Pard didn't do the redouble with fit trick again for a change. Let me try to cash three hearts - excellent. How can I help partner now who's dying to pound something other than Red Stripe beer over there...there, do I give him a ruff, or play a diamond through...why not, let me play a diamond through; pard will finally understand how good they are to me and vice versa, and peace and understanding with flow with effortless grace and ease finally.....

<exiting bliss to reality>

In real world, I'm expecting 500 so passing.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali
0

#13 User is offline   kenrexford 

  • Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,586
  • Joined: 2005-September-21
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Lima, Allen County, North-West-Central Ohio, USA
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2009-January-07, 09:24

Yeah, I agree that we probably pound this thing. I expect to take the defense to take the first five tricks if partner has the stiff spade and at least one club, which seems likely, plus at least one more club ruff if he has a promotable club honor. That's assuming a partner with absolutely nothing in diamonds and just Qxx or Jxxx in clubs.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.
0

#14 User is offline   MFA 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,625
  • Joined: 2006-October-04
  • Location:Denmark

Posted 2009-January-07, 09:27

Pass but I hate it. Will almost always run with a void, but I'll make an exception with this one.
Michael Askgaard
0

#15 User is offline   TylerE 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,778
  • Joined: 2006-January-30

Posted 2009-January-07, 09:29

Pass, and don't hate it. 500 might be conservative.
0

#16 User is offline   Apollo81 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,162
  • Joined: 2006-July-10
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Maryland

Posted 2009-January-07, 09:42

I would normally bid with this shape, but there are so few offensive prospects in this hand that I'll pass. On a good day partner does have a club stack.
0

#17 User is offline   benlessard 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,465
  • Joined: 2006-January-07
  • Location:Montreal Canada
  • Interests:All games. i really mean all of them.

Posted 2009-January-07, 09:58

Very interesting hand.

In imps i would never pass this but in MP pass seems like a good gamble. Prospect of game arent really that much over 50% so +200 will rate to be pretty good. If partner got a powerhouse so taht we can make game then there is some chance for +800
From Psych "I mean, Gus and I never see eye-to-eye on work stuff.
For instance, he doesn't like being used as a human shield when we're being shot at.
I happen to think it's a very noble way to meet one's maker, especially for a guy like him.
Bottom line is we never let that difference of opinion interfere with anything."
0

#18 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2009-January-07, 12:00

rogerclee, on Jan 7 2009, 06:31 AM, said:

FrancesHinden, on Jan 7 2009, 04:25 AM, said:

I'm concerned about being +100 against our partial, or +300/500 against our game.

All vulnerable, Frances.

Yeah this is what swayed me. I'd like +200 here. If they were white I'd bid I think.
Kevin Fay
0

#19 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-January-07, 12:46

benlessard, on Jan 7 2009, 03:58 PM, said:

In imps i would never pass this but in MP pass seems like a good gamble. Prospect of game arent really that much over 50% so +200 will rate to be pretty good

Somehow at IMPs I wouldn't mind getting -180 so much.

I disagree with the fact that bidding now shows strenght, if you have extras you can cue or jump, having plenty of space to find best game.

Pass and reject the double means to me that I was willing to double something else, but not clubs.
0

#20 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-January-07, 14:27

Fluffy, on Jan 7 2009, 10:46 AM, said:

I'm a chicken, I bid 2♦

yes you are :P

pass
0

  • 2 Pages +
  • 1
  • 2
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users