Power
#1
Posted 2009-January-06, 05:08
♠T ♥AJ9x ♦AQJx ♣AQxx
1♣ - 1♥
3♥ - 3♠
3NT - ?
3♠ = artificial, asking
3NT = 18-19 balanced
If you bid 4♣, partner will bid 4♦. If/when you bid blackwood, you will find out partner has two keycards but no ♥Q.
#2
Posted 2009-January-06, 05:22
#3
Posted 2009-January-06, 05:45
The lead will reveal the queen.
Either the lead is hearts - problem solved - or the I'll find her on my left.
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
#4
Posted 2009-January-06, 06:05
If we're going to be guessing a grand slam, and partner is known to have 4+ clubs, I would try 7C rather than 7H. If partner might have shorter clubs he might worry about whether we can have 5+ of things (or would we have done something other than bid 3S with that?)
I'm not worried about which grand to bid. Bidding and making a grand off the queen of our 8-card major suit fit will always be a good board. And it's possible that 7C is a great spot if partner has a doubleton diamond, how about
AKx
Kxxx
Kx
KJxx
(which is only a 17-count)
#5
Posted 2009-January-06, 06:46
1♣ - 1♥
3♥ - 3♠
3NT - ?
4C
4D - 4N
5H - 6H
I am a simple soul... 4C, 4N and 6H for me.
#6
Posted 2009-January-06, 06:47
dicklont, on Jan 6 2009, 11:45 AM, said:
The lead will reveal the queen.
Either the lead is hearts - problem solved - or the I'll find her on my left.
Good aproach, but you do not have the ♥10, but its not a bad idea.
I go the scientific way and bid 7♣ hoping that partner won't like it with 3 cards, for the reasons Frances posted, as well as that partner might have ♠AKQ, ♠AKJ or there can be a squeeze better than the ♥ finese.
#7
Posted 2009-January-06, 11:45
Fluffy, on Jan 6 2009, 01:47 PM, said:
dicklont, on Jan 6 2009, 11:45 AM, said:
The lead will reveal the queen.
Either the lead is hearts - problem solved - or I'll find her on my left.
Good approach, but you do not have the ♥10, but its not a bad idea.
You are right, this was too clever.
I think I deserve to find lefty with Q10x.
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
#9
Posted 2009-January-06, 13:32
If he is missing one jack, we have 13 tricks off the top. If he is missing both jacks and has 4 clubs, the grand is good, need 32 club break (with the heart finesse to fall back on). If he is missing both jacks with 3 clubs, need 33 clubs or heart finesse.
If he is missing spade queen, we have 12 and can try to drop heart queen, and fall back on spade finesse.
I am bidding 7NT.
#10
Posted 2009-January-06, 16:48
Even if the Q is not there, 3 things can happen:
1. There are 13 tricks regardless, maybe 14
2. They blow a trick on defense and I make it
3. I read the cards properly and find the ♥Q or squeeze someone out of it
7NT for me. Eventually 7♣ if you trust pard will pull with 3 cards only.
#11
Posted 2009-January-07, 10:49
The hearts need to be played for 0 losers to make a grand, which won't happen a significant % of the time. When we go down in grand we will lose to all the 6-level tables. In 6NT we are beating most of the 6-level tables (which are in hearts due to the lack of the asking bid we had used) regardless of whether the hearts go our way.
#12
Posted 2009-January-07, 11:39
MarkDean, on Jan 6 2009, 02:32 PM, said:
If he is missing one jack, we have 13 tricks off the top. If he is missing both jacks and has 4 clubs, the grand is good, need 32 club break (with the heart finesse to fall back on). If he is missing both jacks with 3 clubs, need 33 clubs or heart finesse.
If he is missing spade queen, we have 12 and can try to drop heart queen, and fall back on spade finesse.
I am bidding 7NT.
I like 7NT, I'm going for it. This post was the closest to how I feel.

Help
