BBO Discussion Forums: Inferences - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Inferences

Poll: What's th trend? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

What's th trend?

  1. Pass (3 votes [14.29%])

    Percentage of vote: 14.29%

  2. Double (2 votes [9.52%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.52%

  3. 4 Spades (14 votes [66.67%])

    Percentage of vote: 66.67%

  4. Other (2 votes [9.52%])

    Percentage of vote: 9.52%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-03, 15:41

Scoring: MP


1♣  3♥  D  RD
3♠   4♥  P   P
?

3♥8-10 HCP, guaranteed top 2 of 3, 7+ suit
D promises 4♠ and 7+ HCP
RD promises 2+♥ and 10+ HCP
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#2 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 22,170
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-03, 15:58

I pass. Maybe it's timid, but I think I've already described a good hand in support of ♠, since I could have passed on the previous round, so it was up to partner. There's a good chance suits are not breaking well.

#3 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2009-January-03, 16:54

I got some extra shape, but the hand is otherwise a bit junky. This is harder than it seems... I think I bid.
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-January-03, 17:29

I play double is game forcing, but I would guess the standard is that it shows 10+, showing 7+ looks really unplayable.

My trust on opponent's redouble after a preempt is 0%.

I can barely understand why we didn't bid 4♠ previous round even if partner can be wrong, we have a 6-4.

If I am to be consequent with the fact that partner can be weak, and that I made a dubious decision previous round, I would be consistent with it and pass. But I would had bid 4♠ the round before.
0

#5 User is offline   Viren169 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 43
  • Joined: 2008-December-13
  • Location:UK

Posted 2009-January-03, 19:10

Hi,

I'm in the bidder's camp... 4S for me.

ps I would have bid 4S on the previous round!

BR
Viren
0

#6 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2009-January-03, 19:28

LOL at not bidding 4s the previous round

LOLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL at not bidding it now
0

#7 User is offline   nige1 

  • 5-level belongs to me
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,128
  • Joined: 2004-August-30
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Glasgow Scotland
  • Interests:Poems Computers

Posted 2009-January-03, 19:35

H_KARLUK, on Jan 3 2009, 04:41 PM, said:

[ONEHAND=West,N/S,MP,AJ76,3,AJ,Q98642]
1♣  3♥  D  RD
3♠   4♥  P   P
?
3♥8-10 HCP, guaranteed top 2 of 3, 7+ suit
D promises 4♠ and 7+ HCP
RD promises 2+♥ and 10+ HCP
IMO 4♠ = 10, _P = 6.
0

#8 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-03, 20:23

What are these answers? How could someone not bid 4♠ last round?? And then they are given another chance and still don't bid it! Each time someone passes here, a kitten dies somewhere.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#9 User is offline   dake50 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,211
  • Joined: 2006-April-22

Posted 2009-January-04, 07:38

Partner added to his 7-10 4xS that he has not 2xDT(no X) and little confidence in offense 4S wins(not bid 4S). I, too have little confidence in any action being clear. Pass.
0

#10 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2009-January-04, 10:36

agree with clee
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-January-04, 11:04

jdonn, on Jan 4 2009, 02:23 AM, said:

What are these answers? How could someone not bid 4♠ last round?? And then they are given another chance and still don't bid it! Each time someone passes here, a kitten dies somewhere.

Don't forget we're playing in a game where a 3H overcall vul against not shows exactly 8-10 HCP, guaranteed top 2 of 3, 7+ card suit. This will help in the play, because if we need to find the queen of diamonds (for example), we'll know that LHO can't have, say,

x
AKQxxxx
Qxx
xx

or indeed

x
AJ109xxxx
xx
Jx
0

#12 User is offline   peachy 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,056
  • Joined: 2007-November-19
  • Location:Pacific Time

Posted 2009-January-04, 12:05

Difficult to rate bids at this point when my 3S bid the round before was wrong.
0

#13 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2009-January-04, 12:07

FrancesHinden, on Jan 4 2009, 05:04 PM, said:

Don't forget we're playing in a game where a 3H overcall vul against not shows exactly 8-10 HCP, guaranteed top 2 of 3, 7+ card suit.  This will help in the play, because if we need to find the queen of diamonds (for example), we'll know that LHO can't have, say,

JLOL said:

LOL

LOL
0

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2009-January-04, 14:24

FrancesHinden, on Jan 4 2009, 12:04 PM, said:

jdonn, on Jan 4 2009, 02:23 AM, said:

What are these answers? How could someone not bid 4♠ last round?? And then they are given another chance and still don't bid it! Each time someone passes here, a kitten dies somewhere.

Don't forget we're playing in a game where a 3H overcall vul against not shows exactly 8-10 HCP, guaranteed top 2 of 3, 7+ card suit. This will help in the play, because if we need to find the queen of diamonds (for example), we'll know that LHO can't have, say,

x
AKQxxxx
Qxx
xx

or indeed

x
AJ109xxxx
xx
Jx

As much as I don't mind having the support, I think the explanations of all the other players' bids (especially partner and rho) are somewhat irrelevant. 10+ for the redouble on the right? Whatever he says, I don't believe him. This problem really has no need for deep thought, partner showed 4 spades and the values to be bidding on the 3 level, it's trivial to bid game given that with this much shape.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#15 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2009-January-04, 14:51

Sarcasm (particularly English sarcasm) never works online. I should stop trying it.
0

#16 User is offline   H_KARLUK 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 973
  • Joined: 2006-March-17
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-04, 16:47

Scoring: MP


1♣  3♥  D  RD
3♠   4♥  P   P
4♠ All passed.

3♥8-10 HCP, guaranteed top 2 of 3, 7+ suit
D promises 4♠ and 7+ HCP
RD promises 2+♥ and 10+ HCP
We all know that light travels faster than sound. That's why certain people appear bright until you hear them speak. Quoted by Albert Einstein.
0

#17 User is offline   barmar 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Posts: 22,170
  • Joined: 2004-August-21
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2009-January-05, 12:02

Who is the wimpy North who only bid 3♥ with a solid 8 card suit? If he just bid 4♥ on his first turn he'd probably get to play it and we wouldn't be having this discussion.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users