--- no 1♦ 2♦
3♣ no 3NT end
N/EW IMPs
South has
♠AJ873 ♥QJ8762 ♦--- ♣32
I guess there are 4 choices
Page 1 of 1
opening lead blame partner if you wish
#3
Posted 2008-December-31, 03:17
Hi,
I would go with hearts, the systemic,
i.e. for me this would be 4th best.
With kind regards
Marlowe
PS: Saw the hand, ***** happens
I would go with hearts, the systemic,
i.e. for me this would be 4th best.
With kind regards
Marlowe
PS: Saw the hand, ***** happens
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
#4
Posted 2008-December-31, 03:23
I would have chosen a ♥ also.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.
#5
Posted 2008-December-31, 08:38
I'm a fan of leading my 2nd longest suit when having 54+, so that would make it a ♠. One of the obvious reasons is that it's easier to get to 4 tricks in ♠ and keep communication than get 4-5 tricks in ♥ and keep communication.
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe
#6
Posted 2008-December-31, 10:14
I read long ago that with 2 suits you are better leading the one in wich you don't have the ace, because you can use the Ace latter as an entry for the other suit.
Since then I have followed that advice, but I can't remember a single time it has worked the way it is suposed to.
Since then I have followed that advice, but I can't remember a single time it has worked the way it is suposed to.
#7
Posted 2008-December-31, 22:49
shevek, on Dec 30 2008, 10:38 PM, said:
--- no 1♦ 2♦
3♣ no 3NT end
N/EW IMPs
South has
♠AJ873 ♥QJ8762 ♦--- ♣32
I guess there are 4 choices
3♣ no 3NT end
N/EW IMPs
South has
♠AJ873 ♥QJ8762 ♦--- ♣32
I guess there are 4 choices
No luck
#8
Posted 2009-January-01, 05:34
Fluffy, on Dec 31 2008, 04:14 PM, said:
I read long ago that with 2 suits you are better leading the one in wich you don't have the ace, because you can use the Ace latter as an entry for the other suit.
Since then I have followed that advice, but I can't remember a single time it has worked the way it is suposed to.
Since then I have followed that advice, but I can't remember a single time it has worked the way it is suposed to.
There are two competing theories on this hand:
i) You lead the suit in which you don't have the ace, the idea being that you set that suit up, and then you have the ace as an entry to cash the suit.
Very simple case in point:
1NT 2C (majors) 3NT all pass, you are on lead with
Axxxx
KQJ109
xx
x
ii) You lead your better suit, because that's the suit you are most likely to be cashing. Simple example:
AQ10xx
J10xxx
Qx
x
opponents bid 2NT P 3NT
you lead a spade (certainly at imps, anyway) because that needs the least from partner to beat the contract.
On this hand you have to decide whether it's a 'slow' hand in which declarer is going to need to take time to set up tricks, in which case you probably lead a heart as it both is less likely to screw up the suit; or whether declarer has a load of top tricks and you need to take five fast ones.
Who knows?
Swap the major suits around a bit (give partner xx Kxx in the majors and declarer KQx A9x, say) and you needed to lead a heart.
#9
Posted 2009-January-01, 05:56
Maybe North should have stuck his neck out and bid 3♠? He can see that the clubs are probably running, so 3NT on a heart lead is likely to make.
... that would still not be conclusive proof, before someone wants to explain that to me as well as if I was a 5 year-old. - gwnn
Page 1 of 1

Help
