BBO Discussion Forums: Could you, would you? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Could you, would you?

Poll: Could you, would you? (21 member(s) have cast votes)

Could you, would you?

  1. Of course, I open 1club (13 votes [61.90%])

    Percentage of vote: 61.90%

  2. I pass (8 votes [38.10%])

    Percentage of vote: 38.10%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,982
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-26, 14:57

Scoring: MP

?

“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#2 User is offline   maggieb 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 339
  • Joined: 2008-October-15
  • Interests:Sewing, Cooking, and Square Dancing!

Posted 2008-December-26, 15:01

1♣, but this is mostly just a style thing. If we have a fit, my hand is pulling its weight and then some.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. :)
0

#3 User is offline   kenberg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,277
  • Joined: 2004-September-22
  • Location:Northern Maryland

Posted 2008-December-26, 15:39

I open 1C (yes, I originally said 1heart. Ooops). I am not too worried about the future here. If opponents stay out:
Over 1D I bid 1S
Over 1M I raise.
Over 1N I will bid 2C


If opponents enter:
Over (1D)-X -(Pass) I think I guess I will bid my hearts. Partner is showing both, hearts seems ok.
If opponents come in with 1M and partner bids 2D I will claim a misclick and ask for a redeal (no, not really, but I will be very unhappy). I suppose I will bid the other major since I am forced to do something.
Ken
0

#4 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-26, 16:15

kenberg, on Dec 26 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

I open 1H. I am not too worried about the future here. If opponents stay out:
Over 1D I bid 1S

A better call might be a director call? ;)
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#5 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2008-December-26, 16:16

I like my hand if we have a fit. I hate my hand if partner has lots of ♦, but there is only one way to find out... Open 1♣. I like 1♣ even more if we are using some sort of limited openings. (Not precision ofc ;))
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#6 User is offline   kenberg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,277
  • Joined: 2004-September-22
  • Location:Northern Maryland

Posted 2008-December-26, 18:29

vuroth, on Dec 26 2008, 05:15 PM, said:

kenberg, on Dec 26 2008, 04:39 PM, said:

I open 1H. I am not too worried about the future here. If opponents stay out:
Over 1D I bid 1S

A better call might be a director call? ;)

See Ooops remark above.
Thanks
Ken
0

#7 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2008-December-26, 20:49

It's a style thing. I would open because my AQ are in the same suit, 2 bullets, and I have an easy rebid (not to mention 4-4 in majors as well).
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#8 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-December-26, 23:11

28 ZARs, no rebid problems, yes of course 1♣
0

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,146
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-27, 05:21

I Pass, but I open hands which are less suitable,
so opening 1C is not out of the question.
One major reason is, that you can handle any rebid.
Make the void in diamonds a void in spades and
opening becomes a lot less attractive.

In the end for me this has something to do with
"the line in the sand", you dont cross this line,
however tempting it may be, partner needs to be
able to rely on you, that the openings are in a certain
box, and that you dont change the boundaries of the
box.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users