BBO Discussion Forums: cheeky? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

cheeky? 2 part question

#1 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,982
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-26, 14:50


Dealer: East
Vul: EW
Scoring: IMP
♠ A
♥ 8754
♦ T74
♣ K8762


West North East South

 -     -     Pass  Pass
 Pass  1♣    Pass  ?  


Yuk, can you create a bid or do you bid these grim ♥'s?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#2 User is offline   maggieb 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 339
  • Joined: 2008-October-15
  • Interests:Sewing, Cooking, and Square Dancing!

Posted 2008-December-26, 14:52

1♥ for me. I don't play inverted minors by a passed hand, though, but I'm still bidding my hearts.
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. :)
0

#3 User is offline   Lobowolf 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,030
  • Joined: 2008-August-08
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-December-26, 14:55

Bid 'em! If partner has hearts, they'll be better than yours, and while 8-7-5-4 doesn't look like much, they're certainly large enough to ruff a couple of spades.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."
0

#4 User is offline   hotShot 

  • Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,976
  • Joined: 2003-August-31
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-26, 15:17

If your complaining now, what would you do if partner opened 1♠?
Bid 1♥ and over partners 1♠, bid 1NT, over opps 1♠ overcall, you have an easy 2♣ bid.
0

#5 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,982
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-26, 15:38

hotShot, on Dec 26 2008, 02:17 PM, said:

If your complaining now, what would you do if partner opened 1♠?

No complaints yet :)
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#6 User is offline   Trumpace 

  • Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,040
  • Joined: 2005-January-22
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-26, 15:41

hotShot, on Dec 26 2008, 04:17 PM, said:

If your complaining now, what would you do if partner opened 1♠?
Bid 1♥ and over partners 1♠, bid 1NT, over opps 1♠ overcall, you have an easy 2♣ bid.

Why bid 1NT over partners 1♠? Do you have a good reason? 2♣ seems right to me over pds 1♠ rebid.
0

#7 User is offline   kenberg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,277
  • Joined: 2004-September-22
  • Location:Northern Maryland

Posted 2008-December-26, 15:52

I bid 1H. Many things may happen after this but if I can I will bid 2C later I will (Oops, I see now TrumpAce got in first with this while I was dithering). Eg: 1C-1H-1N-2C, or 1C-(pass)-1H-(1S)-1N-(pass)-2C. Both auctions sound like a weak hand with four hearts and long clubs, and that's what I have. Of course if 2C would be CBS in one or both cases then I can't do that. 1C-(pass)-1H-(1S)-1N-(2S) gets a little trickier as 3C might induce partner to think I actually have something.

As to CBS (Checkback Stayman) prohibiting me from making the desired 2C rebid, the usual argument is that if partner has a 1N rebid and I have this sort of distributional trash it is very unlikely that we will be having an uncontested auction. I think this argument has merit.
Ken
0

#8 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2008-December-26, 16:09

1♥ wtp? If partner has 4 Hearts, 2♥ is likely the optimum contract. Remember, you can still make game off the AKQJT of trumps ;).
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#9 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-26, 16:17

I'm guessing part 2 is the diamond overcall?
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#10 User is online   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,982
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-26, 18:08

Part2


Dealer: East
Vul: EW
Scoring: IMP
♠ A
♥ 8754
♦ T74
♣ K8762


West North East South

- - Pass Pass
Pass 1♣ Pass 1♥
Pass 2nt Pass


Your bid now?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#11 User is offline   mr1303 

  • Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,576
  • Joined: 2003-November-14
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Ulaanbaatar, Mongolia
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2008-December-26, 18:20

3NT

Might even make ;)
0

#12 User is offline   kenberg 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,277
  • Joined: 2004-September-22
  • Location:Northern Maryland

Posted 2008-December-26, 18:24

It would be really nice if 3C is a natural call here. Presumably it is forcing, but that's OK. If partner bids 3D over 4C I will bid 3S. As far as I am concerned, this is still a try for 3N, not a slam try, until I tell partner otherwise (say by pulling 3N to 4C with a different hand).

I have no idea if we can make either 3N or 5C, but I am not leaving partner in 2N. I have never played Wolff sign-offs but if I did I would imagine that after 3C and 3D, a bid of 3S would cancel the sign-off message (since I don't seem to be signing off).
Ken
0

#13 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2008-December-26, 18:39

Part 2: 3NT. I don't like it, but I don't see 5♣ making anytime soon.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-26, 19:16

1♥, 3NT. 5♣ could be better, or just barely possible that even 6♣ could be good, but I really don't think it's worth looking for because you only want to bypass 3NT if partner doesn't have spade wastage, which is too difficult to determine.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#15 User is offline   andy_h 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,962
  • Joined: 2007-September-14
  • Location:Australia
  • Interests:The Universe, Traveling, Squash, and Scandinavia.

Posted 2008-December-26, 20:47

1. 1H. We could belong in a heart contract and we can always revert back to clubs if not.
2. 3NT. Too hard to determine where our perfect strain is, so you can't do anything else other than 3NT.
- Andy -

We are all connected to each other biologically, to the Earth chemically, and to the rest of the universe atomically.
We're in the universe, and the universe is in us.
0

#16 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-December-26, 23:14

andy_h, on Dec 26 2008, 08:47 PM, said:

1. 1H. We could belong in a heart contract and we can always revert back to clubs if not.
2. 3NT. Too hard to determine where our perfect strain is, so you can't do anything else other than 3NT.

Exactly
0

#17 User is offline   cherdano 

  • 5555
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 9,520
  • Joined: 2003-September-04
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-27, 02:30

The hand is still too good for hearts to bid anything but 1♥. Over 2N, bidding 3N seems clear, lets not help them deciding which pointed suit to lead.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke
0

#18 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,146
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-27, 05:23

1H.

You have a fit, brilliant, but your most likely game
is still 4H, so start trying to locate a possible
heart fit.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#19 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,146
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-27, 05:27

jillybean2, on Dec 26 2008, 07:08 PM, said:

Part2


Dealer: East
Vul: EW
Scoring: IMP
♠ A
♥ 8754
♦ T74
♣ K8762


West North East South

- - Pass Pass
Pass 1♣ Pass 1♥
Pass 2nt Pass


Your bid now?

3NT, wtp?

Ok, you may only have 4 spades between
you, and most likely they will attack spades,
but maybe not.

Of course you can try 3C, assuming this is
forcing and natural, ... but I would need to
be 100% confident, that 3C is natural (yes,
most likely) and forcing (no, ... most likely
not), which I am not, so I would go with 3NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users