BBO Discussion Forums: Go slamming or not? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Go slamming or not?

#1 User is offline   Ant590 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 749
  • Joined: 2005-July-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 2008-December-14, 12:50

Scoring: IMP


Pass - (pass) - 1♥ - (pass)
2♦ - (pass) - 3♥ - (pass)
4♥ - (pass) - ?

Do you continue?
0

#2 User is offline   Ant590 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 749
  • Joined: 2005-July-17
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Melbourne, Australia

Posted 2008-December-14, 12:52

I should probably add you have minimal discussion with partner, 4♦ after 3♥ is undiscussed as is the nature of your cuebids (1st/mixed)
0

#3 User is offline   rogerclee 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,214
  • Joined: 2007-December-16
  • Location:Pasadena, CA

Posted 2008-December-14, 13:27

No, partner could have cuebid and chose not to.

Just to clarify, I would also not cooperate with a cuebid, it is very unlikely that we have slam on opposite a PH.
0

#4 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2008-December-14, 13:32

Give partner something really nice such as the king of hearts and AK-sixth of diamonds, maybe xxx Kx AK10xxx xx. A close to perfect hand and slam has no play after a club lead. I would pass.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
0

#5 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,145
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-14, 13:35

No.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#6 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-14, 13:37

Add me to the no's. It's barely possible I think to construct hands for partner where you want to be in slam, but extremely few.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#7 User is offline   mtvesuvius 

  • Vesuvius the Violent Volcano
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,216
  • Joined: 2008-December-04
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Tampa-Area, Florida
  • Interests:SLEEPING

Posted 2008-December-14, 15:18

No. I have a good imagination, and I cannot imagine partner's hand where slam can make.
Yay for the "Ignored Users" feature!
0

#8 User is offline   Hanoi5 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 4,083
  • Joined: 2006-August-31
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Santiago, Chile
  • Interests:Bridge, Video Games, Languages, Travelling.

Posted 2008-December-14, 15:20

If my partner hadn't passed at his first turn I'd continue.

View Postwyman, on 2012-May-04, 09:48, said:

Also, he rates to not have a heart void when he leads the ♥3.


View Postrbforster, on 2012-May-20, 21:04, said:

Besides playing for fun, most people also like to play bridge to win


My YouTube Channel
0

#9 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 297
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Windsor, VT

Posted 2008-December-14, 20:49

I'd pass... Partner could've made a stronger move and didn't. What in my hand says I should argue?
0

#10 User is offline   neilkaz 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 3,568
  • Joined: 2006-June-28
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Barrington IL USA
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-December-14, 21:33

HeavyDluxe, on Dec 14 2008, 08:49 PM, said:

I'd pass... Partner could've made a stronger move and didn't. What in my hand says I should argue?

We agree as I also pass.
0

#11 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

  • Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 8,483
  • Joined: 2004-November-02
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:England
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2008-December-15, 03:58

There are two ways to think about this type of problem:
a) Do I have anything more than I shown so far?
B) Are there hands for partner, consistent with the bidding, where it is right for us to move now?

Looking at (a): When we rebid 3H we showed about 15+ HCP with a decent 6+ card suit. That's exactly what we have - a 17-count is slightly more than usual, but our heart suit is poor. Partner would raise to 4H on a low doubleton. The QJx of diamonds is nice in partner's suit, but only to the extent of upgrading it to being worth its full 3 points, rather than anything more. In summary, we have roughly a minimum hand for the auction so far, so there is no reason to do any more bidding.

B) While we may not know what 4D would have meant over 3H, as partner is a passed hand he can safely bid 3S over 3H, and he could probably also try 4C as a heart cue. So partner is likely to have a minimum 4H bid. Our poor heart suit makes slam very unlikely, as we won't be able to win the lead, draw trump, and run the diamonds, we are likely to have to knock out a heart or a diamond top card, in which case a club lead will beat slam. SO this also points to a pass being correct.
0

#12 User is offline   CSGibson 

  • Tubthumper
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,835
  • Joined: 2007-July-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portland, OR, USA
  • Interests:Bridge, pool, financial crime. New experiences, new people.

Posted 2008-December-15, 04:40

Pass. Francis's explanation is well though out, and one hundred percent in line with my reaction to the OP.
Chris Gibson
0

#13 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2008-December-15, 07:07

I would pass too and complaint later on BBF that my pd had xx,Axx,AKxxx,xxx and we made 3 overtricks after a spade lead and a making heart finesse....
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#14 User is offline   keylime 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Posts: 2,735
  • Joined: 2003-February-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Nashville, TN
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

  Posted 2008-December-15, 10:06

Pard passed. He/she doesn't have it. I'll enjoy the overtrick.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

2 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users