BBO Discussion Forums: big again or pass? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

big again or pass?

#1 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-05, 11:07


Dealer: North
Vul: None
Scoring: IMP
♠ 3
♥ AJ74
♦ 63
♣ AQJ742


West North East South

 -     Pass  Pass  1♣
 1♦    1♠    Pass  2♣
 Pass  Pass  2♦    Pass
 Pass  2♠    Pass  ? 


Here's a hand I had the other night where we missed the best contract.
I'll post the other hand later but for now do you agree with the bidding and
what is your bid now?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#2 User is offline   Trumpace 

  • Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,040
  • Joined: 2005-January-22
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-05, 18:48

Pass.
0

#3 User is offline   karlson 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 974
  • Joined: 2005-April-06

Posted 2008-December-05, 18:58

I'd correct to 3c. I don't see how this can be wrong when partner didn't bid 2s over 2c.

The previous bidding seems fine.
0

#4 User is offline   kfay 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,208
  • Joined: 2007-July-01
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Michigan
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2008-December-05, 19:24

Bid again.

If partner really wanted to play 2♠ that badly he shoulda bid it over 2♣.
Kevin Fay
0

#5 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2008-December-05, 19:29

Agree, partner's clubs are better than our spades.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
0

#6 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-05, 22:42


Scoring: IMP


West North East South

 -     Pass  Pass  1♣
 1♦    1♠    Pass  2♣
 Pass  Pass  2♦    Pass
 Pass  2♠    Pass  Pass
 Pass  


I missed the meaning of my partners pass over 2♣.
Does anyone I think 3♣ would have been better than 2♠?.
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#7 User is offline   maggieb 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 339
  • Joined: 2008-October-15
  • Interests:Sewing, Cooking, and Square Dancing!

Posted 2008-December-06, 01:29

I do. Partner had the right idea but you would have bid 2S over 2D anyway if you were 3-6 in the blacks. The choice was between a 9-card club fit or at most a 7-card spade fit, doesn't seem too hard!
If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy, practice compassion. :)
0

#8 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,145
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-06, 04:16

3C.

Partners pass over 2C should deny a 6 card
spade suit.
He should also have some tolerance for clubs.

2S was fine, ... as long as partner understands
the bid, 2C could be based on a 5 carder, say,
opener has 4 hearts and less the reverse strength.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#9 User is offline   ArtK78 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 7,786
  • Joined: 2004-September-05
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Galloway NJ USA
  • Interests:Bridge, Poker, participatory and spectator sports.
    Occupation - Tax Attorney in Atlantic City, NJ.

Posted 2008-December-06, 16:05

I don't like partner's 2♠ bid on Kxxxx I fully expected that the 2♠ bid was on 5 cards (partner would have bid 2♠ over 2♣ with 6), but the suit should have been better - at least KJTxx, maybe even better than that. Partner should expect that opener will pass 2♠ automatically if opener holds xx in spades, and maybe with a singleton honor. Kxxxx does not play well opposite either of these holdings, and partner holds Kxx of clubs.

I don't know about your personal tendencies, but I would raise spades on any reasonable 3 card spade holding. So partner should know that opener does not have 3 reasonable spades on this auction.

The fact is that I would have bid 3♣ on both hands - I would have bid 3♣ instead of 2♠ on partner's hand, and I would have bid 3♣ on your hand since I don't want to play a 5-1 spade fit.
0

#10 User is offline   whereagles 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 14,900
  • Joined: 2004-May-11
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Portugal
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2008-December-06, 16:40

han, on Dec 6 2008, 01:29 AM, said:

Agree, partner's clubs are better than our spades.

Indeed.
0

#11 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-06, 17:45

Yes, I would have raised ♠ holding any reasonable hand and 3♠.
I should have realised my pards pass of 2♣ shows tolerance and corrected to 3♣.
otoh, I think my 2♣ bid should show 6 or is 5 standard ?
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#12 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-06, 17:49

jillybean2, on Dec 6 2008, 06:45 PM, said:

Yes, I would have raised ♠ holding any reasonable hand and 3♠.
I should have realised my pards pass of 2♣ shows tolerance and corrected to 3♣.
otoh, I think my 2♣ bid should show 6 or is 5 standard ?

You had already shown 6 clubs, but you might have had 2 (or even possibly 3) spades. So you don't go back to clubs to show extra length there, you go back to show lack of suitability for spades.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#13 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-06, 17:56

jdonn, on Dec 6 2008, 04:49 PM, said:

jillybean2, on Dec 6 2008, 06:45 PM, said:

Yes, I would have raised ♠ holding any reasonable hand and 3♠.
I should have realised my pards pass of 2♣ shows tolerance and corrected to 3♣. 
otoh, I think my 2♣ bid should show 6 or is 5 standard ?

You had already shown 6 clubs, but you might have had 2 (or even possibly 3) spades. So you don't go back to clubs to show extra length there, you go back to show lack of suitability for spades.

Yes yes I understand that but pard must have thought I was showing 5
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#14 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-06, 17:56

Maybe, but I think we have already established partner did not bid correctly :)
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#15 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-06, 18:11

jdonn, on Dec 6 2008, 04:56 PM, said:

Maybe, but I think we have already established partner did not bid correctly :)

We both messed up and now I was thinking 2♣ was only 5... :) ntw
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#16 User is offline   Trumpace 

  • Hideous Rabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,040
  • Joined: 2005-January-22
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-06, 21:49

Why does partner's pass over 2C deny 6 spades? (Assuming your 2C promises 6).

Can't she be a min 6-3-3-1/6-3-2-2 hand?
0

#17 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,145
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-07, 05:01

Trumpace, on Dec 6 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

Why does partner's pass over 2C deny 6 spades? (Assuming your 2C promises 6).

Can't she be a min 6-3-3-1/6-3-2-2 hand?

First, partner did not open a weak two.
Second, 2C does not promise a 6 carder.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

#18 User is offline   jdonn 

  • - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 15,085
  • Joined: 2005-June-23
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Las Vegas, NV

Posted 2008-December-07, 11:12

Trumpace, on Dec 6 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

Why does partner's pass over 2C deny 6 spades? (Assuming your 2C promises 6).

Can't she be a min 6-3-3-1/6-3-2-2 hand?

Yes partner can pass 2♣ with 6 bad spades, especially with a doubleton club that can be the percentage action since we promised 6+ clubs.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.
0

#19 User is offline   jillybean 

  • hooked
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 12,979
  • Joined: 2003-November-15
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Vancouver, Canada
  • Interests:Multi

Posted 2008-December-07, 11:13

P_Marlowe, on Dec 7 2008, 04:01 AM, said:

Trumpace, on Dec 6 2008, 10:49 PM, said:

Why does partner's pass over 2C deny 6 spades? (Assuming your 2C promises 6).

Can't she be a min 6-3-3-1/6-3-2-2 hand?

First, partner did not open a weak two.
Second, 2C does not promise a 6 carder.

With kind regards
Marlowe

For me, 2♣ promises 6
“It is not because things are difficult that we do not dare, it is because we do not dare that they are difficult.”
Bridge should be fun!
0

#20 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2008-December-08, 05:59

whatever you promise or deny, 2♠ brings a clear message:

I want o play 3♣, but I wonder if 2♠ might be better.

If you had 2 spades and 5 clubs you might have problems deciding, with singleton spade and 6 good clubs it is easy.
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users