IMPs, unfavorable vulnerability
The bidding went:
Me LHO Partner RHO
Pass 1♦ (5+) 2♣ Pass
2♥ Pass 3♦ Pass
??
I held: T8xx, AKTxx, Q9, xx
What's partner doing? What should I do now?
(Partner is a youngish Silver Life Master. He's studied bidding theory carefully but resists ad hoc innovations)
Page 1 of 1
What's this cue bid? Competitive Cues
#2
Posted 2008-December-02, 18:56
Around here, I think I would guess Western Cue Bid - asking for a stopper for 3NT.
Whatever it is, it seems like a strong bid, I'd be tempted to try 3♠, though if you're not clear on what's going on, maybe 3♥ is safer?
Whatever it is, it seems like a strong bid, I'd be tempted to try 3♠, though if you're not clear on what's going on, maybe 3♥ is safer?
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.
"gwnn" said:
rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
#3
Posted 2008-December-02, 19:08
It's forcing, you are supposed to describe your hand further. 3S seems right, though 3NT is tempting.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.
- hrothgar
- hrothgar
#4
Posted 2008-December-08, 06:09
What han said, cuebid doesn't ask for specific questions, it wants you to describe better.
Normally a cuebid implies fit, but here partner might be stuck with a strong hand in clubs, 3♠ seems easy, then partner will bid 4♣ or 4♥ and let us know.
If he bids 3NT over 3♠ he is showing a big hand in clubs with doubts about 3NT being the best contract (he probably has a weak stopper), that is where our ♦Qx comes into play, we can gladly pass, althou probably playing from the wrong side now, but our quick tricks in hearts might do it.
Normally a cuebid implies fit, but here partner might be stuck with a strong hand in clubs, 3♠ seems easy, then partner will bid 4♣ or 4♥ and let us know.
If he bids 3NT over 3♠ he is showing a big hand in clubs with doubts about 3NT being the best contract (he probably has a weak stopper), that is where our ♦Qx comes into play, we can gladly pass, althou probably playing from the wrong side now, but our quick tricks in hearts might do it.
#5
Posted 2008-December-08, 16:04
I think 3D is looking for a Diamond stopper, but I think 3S passes the buck back. Doubt anyone would want to play in spades in this auction without a 4 card fit and it is probably unlikely he has one.
#6
Posted 2008-December-09, 01:47
Yes, 3 ♦ asks, primaly for a diamond stopper, secondary for an overall describtion.
I bid 3 Heart, my extras are not so great and I have no values in spade. My pd won't understand 3 Spade as showing nothing in spades, but a little extra somewhere outside diamond. Actually my second choice had been 3 NT, not 3 Spade. Q9 works often.
I bid 3 Heart, my extras are not so great and I have no values in spade. My pd won't understand 3 Spade as showing nothing in spades, but a little extra somewhere outside diamond. Actually my second choice had been 3 NT, not 3 Spade. Q9 works often.
Kind Regards
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
Roland
Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
#7
Posted 2008-December-09, 03:02
Probably looking for 3NT. Tempting to bid it.
Maybe a German player would bid 3NT and should hope that the cuebid was in tempo
Maybe a German player would bid 3NT and should hope that the cuebid was in tempo
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
#8
Posted 2008-December-09, 03:32
dicklont, on Dec 9 2008, 04:02 AM, said:
Probably looking for 3NT. Tempting to bid it.
Maybe a German player would bid 3NT and should hope that the cuebid was in tempo
Maybe a German player would bid 3NT and should hope that the cuebid was in tempo
I agree with 3NT on the hand in the current thread.
(3NT also has some votes in one of the other places OP posted the same hand.)
But I don't agree that this hand (where a 5 card diamond suit is on our left, and partner has not made a takeout double of diamonds) is in any way similar to your other thread (where a 7 card spade suit is on our right, and partner has made a takeout double of spades.)
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
#9
Posted 2008-December-09, 11:04
3D asks for further description, mainly a stopper.
I would go with 3S, ugly, but what are your options,
maybe partner can bid 3NT.
With kind regards
Marlowe
I would go with 3S, ugly, but what are your options,
maybe partner can bid 3NT.
With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
Page 1 of 1

Help
