BBO Discussion Forums: What's this cue bid? - BBO Discussion Forums

Jump to content

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What's this cue bid? Competitive Cues

#1 User is offline   hammberry 

  • PipPip
  • Group: Members
  • Posts: 15
  • Joined: 2005-January-21

Posted 2008-December-02, 17:15

IMPs, unfavorable vulnerability
The bidding went:

Me   LHO   Partner   RHO
Pass   1♦ (5+)  2♣   Pass
2♥     Pass       3♦     Pass
??

I held: T8xx, AKTxx, Q9, xx

What's partner doing? What should I do now?
(Partner is a youngish Silver Life Master. He's studied bidding theory carefully but resists ad hoc innovations)
I meant well...
0

#2 User is offline   vuroth 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 1,459
  • Joined: 2007-June-03
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-02, 18:56

Around here, I think I would guess Western Cue Bid - asking for a stopper for 3NT.

Whatever it is, it seems like a strong bid, I'd be tempted to try 3♠, though if you're not clear on what's going on, maybe 3♥ is safer?
Still decidedly intermediate - don't take my guesses as authoritative.

"gwnn" said:

rule number 1 in efficient forum reading:
hanp does not always mean literally what he writes.
0

#3 User is offline   han 

  • Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,797
  • Joined: 2004-July-25
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Amsterdam, the Netherlands

Posted 2008-December-02, 19:08

It's forcing, you are supposed to describe your hand further. 3S seems right, though 3NT is tempting.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar
0

#4 User is offline   Fluffy 

  • World International Master without a clue
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 17,404
  • Joined: 2003-November-13
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:madrid

Posted 2008-December-08, 06:09

What han said, cuebid doesn't ask for specific questions, it wants you to describe better.

Normally a cuebid implies fit, but here partner might be stuck with a strong hand in clubs, 3♠ seems easy, then partner will bid 4♣ or 4♥ and let us know.

If he bids 3NT over 3♠ he is showing a big hand in clubs with doubts about 3NT being the best contract (he probably has a weak stopper), that is where our ♦Qx comes into play, we can gladly pass, althou probably playing from the wrong side now, but our quick tricks in hearts might do it.
0

#5 User is offline   ASkolnick 

  • PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 385
  • Joined: 2007-November-20

Posted 2008-December-08, 16:04

I think 3D is looking for a Diamond stopper, but I think 3S passes the buck back. Doubt anyone would want to play in spades in this auction without a 4 card fit and it is probably unlikely he has one.
0

#6 User is offline   Codo 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 6,373
  • Joined: 2003-March-15
  • Location:Hamburg, Germany
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2008-December-09, 01:47

Yes, 3 ♦ asks, primaly for a diamond stopper, secondary for an overall describtion.

I bid 3 Heart, my extras are not so great and I have no values in spade. My pd won't understand 3 Spade as showing nothing in spades, but a little extra somewhere outside diamond. Actually my second choice had been 3 NT, not 3 Spade. Q9 works often.
Kind Regards

Roland


Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...
0

#7 User is offline   dicklont 

  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Posts: 750
  • Joined: 2007-October-18
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Netherlands
  • Interests:Bridge, music, sports

Posted 2008-December-09, 03:02

Probably looking for 3NT. Tempting to bid it.

Maybe a German player would bid 3NT and should hope that the cuebid was in tempo :)
--
Finding your own mistakes is more productive than looking for partner's. It improves your game and is good for your soul. (Nige1)
0

#8 User is offline   655321 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 2,502
  • Joined: 2007-December-22

Posted 2008-December-09, 03:32

dicklont, on Dec 9 2008, 04:02 AM, said:

Probably looking for 3NT. Tempting to bid it.

Maybe a German player would bid 3NT and should hope that the cuebid was in tempo  :)

I agree with 3NT on the hand in the current thread.

(3NT also has some votes in one of the other places OP posted the same hand.)

But I don't agree that this hand (where a 5 card diamond suit is on our left, and partner has not made a takeout double of diamonds) is in any way similar to your other thread (where a 7 card spade suit is on our right, and partner has made a takeout double of spades.)
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.
0

#9 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Posts: 11,145
  • Joined: 2005-March-18
  • Gender:Male

Posted 2008-December-09, 11:04

3D asks for further description, mainly a stopper.

I would go with 3S, ugly, but what are your options,
maybe partner can bid 3NT.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)
0

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

3 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users