• Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-October-26, 01:06

easiest double ever

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-26, 01:07

That's what I was going to say. On a good day partner bids 3NT. Or passes.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 User is offline   effervesce 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-October-26, 02:40

X.
Ming

--Always remember you're unique. Just like everyone else.

#5 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2008-October-26, 04:01

rogerclee, on Oct 26 2008, 08:06 AM, said:

easiest double ever

agree
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#6 User is offline   neilkaz 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Backgammon, Bridge, Hockey

Posted 2008-October-26, 19:44

Double

#7 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-26, 21:30

han, on Oct 26 2008, 01:07 AM, said:

That's what I was going to say. On a good day partner bids 3NT. Or passes.

Or jumps to 4M.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#8 User is offline   Tcyk 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-26, 21:44

I guess I'm weird but I like to show my suits. Double might miss 6C and partner isn't barred from bidding after I bid 4C

#9 User is online   awm 

Posted 2008-October-26, 22:14

I don't think double is as wonderful as people make it out to be. Some reasons:

(1) You could easily get partner to bid a weak four-card major and you could play in the moysian with a bad break when clubs is much better. This can potentially happen even at the four level.

(2) What do you expect partner to do with a hand like xx xxx KQxx xxxx? I'd pass. How do you rate your chances of setting 3? Even if partner has a third trump trick the 3 contract might make. The club holding is very offensive with as much length as you have, and reduces defensive prospects.

(3) Sometimes partner will bid a three-card major. In a previous poll the plurality preferred to advance 3M on a three-card suit rather than 4 on a four-card suit. How well do you expect that to play?

(4) You could miss a club game or slam. Say partner has x AQxx Axxx xxxx. You are cold for 6, but partner will probably bid 4 (maybe 3NT). These games might even go down (consider a spade lead vs. 3NT, or 4 on a 5-1 trump break).

I rather like 4 here. On the hands where partner has a five-card major and the values to jump to game in that major over a takeout double, we should play in 4M in any case (partner also good enough to bid 4M over 4). On the hands where we play in a partial, I suspect that 4 will frequently do as well as 3M (probably better on the hands where 3M was a 4-3, maybe worse on the hands where it was a 5-3). I will miss a few penalties on hands where we should defend, but I will also miss some 3X making results. I will find a few games/slams in clubs that I'd miss over double. If partner was bidding 3NT I might miss out, but then, 4NT should be natural over 4 and there are surely a high percentage of hands where 4NT makes also, or where 5 is actually a better game than 3NT and we bid that.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#10 User is offline   655321 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-26, 22:17

rogerclee, on Oct 26 2008, 02:06 AM, said:

easiest double ever

Agree with Roger
That's impossible. No one can give more than one hundred percent. By definition that is the most anyone can give.

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-26, 22:28

If you don't double on this, then I think you don't understand how the bridge scoring table works.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#12 User is online   awm 

Posted 2008-October-26, 22:39

jdonn, on Oct 26 2008, 11:28 PM, said:

If you don't double on this, then I think you don't understand how the bridge scoring table works.

Last I checked: plus scores are better than minus scores, making games are better than failing games, defending 3X making is not a good score, and bidding slams is really good.

My apologies if any of these have changed. :)
Adam W. Meyerson

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-26, 22:57

I should mention, my comment wasn't meant to be snide toward you. It was merely an expression of my true feelings. But you are reeeeally missing the boat on this one.

#14 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2008-October-26, 23:19

I dealt 100 hands with specifications that seemed reasonable to me for the auction 3D - p - p - Dbl - all pass. I went through the first ten hands and I would have this auction for those 10 hands.

Double dummy 3D made 5 times (never with overtricks) and went down 3 or more tricks 48 times.

- hrothgar

#15 User is online   awm 

Posted 2008-October-27, 00:03

han, on Oct 27 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

I dealt 100 hands with specifications that seemed reasonable to me for the auction 3D - p - p - Dbl - all pass. I went through the first ten hands and I would have this auction for those 10 hands.

Double dummy 3D made 5 times (never with overtricks) and went down 3 or more tricks 48 times.

One thing that may be worth noting is that the hands where 3X goes down the most are often hands where partner has a singleton club. But usually this gives partner a five card major (or 4441) and I don't think passing the double is all that likely with these patterns unless partner's diamond holding is quite strong. I also suspect that you are doing something wrong here (or your specifications don't match what mine would be) if your 3 openings are going three or more down 48/100 times. I ran a similar simulation and while 3 was often failing it was rarely down more than a couple tricks. My specifications were opener with 4-9 hcp and either 7 or (6 to two of the top three honors). I would note that partner's most common club holding was three small which means our hand is unlikely to take more than one club trick on defense.
Adam W. Meyerson

#16 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-27, 00:21

jdonn, on Oct 26 2008, 11:57 PM, said:

I should mention, my comment wasn't meant to be snide toward you. It was merely an expression of my true feelings. But you are reeeeally missing the boat on this one.

my usual state of affairs.

anyway. i screwed this one up, obviously. tried 3nt.

p showed up with something like Txxx xx KQxx Txx
(opposite my Q8x Kxx x AKQJ9x)

i managed to go down only one, but obviously defending 3X would have been the winning action, likely down 2.

#17 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-27, 00:50

awm, on Oct 27 2008, 01:03 AM, said:

han, on Oct 27 2008, 12:19 AM, said:

One thing that may be worth noting is that the hands where 3X goes down the most are often hands where partner has a singleton club. But usually this gives partner a five card major (or 4441) and I don't think passing the double is all that likely with these patterns unless partner's diamond holding is quite strong. I also suspect that you are doing something wrong here (or your specifications don't match what mine would be) if your 3 openings are going three or more down 48/100 times. I ran a similar simulation and while 3 was often failing it was rarely down more than a couple tricks. My specifications were opener with 4-9 hcp and either 7 or (6 to two of the top three honors). I would note that partner's most common club holding was three small which means our hand is unlikely to take more than one club trick on defense.

What were your specifications for the pass? And what were the overall frequencies of the results? And han, what were all your specifications and frequencies?

#18 User is offline   pclayton 

Posted 2008-October-27, 07:34

Double. Not the easiest call ever, since sometimes pard will pass when we are cold for 3N.

I hate 4. It bypasses a likely game.

I'm just not sick enough for 3N.
"Phil" on BBO

#19 User is offline   ASkolnick 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-27, 07:41

I am one of those people who hate doubling on misshaped hands, but the problem is your most likely game is 3N. Over 3M, I would bid 4 Clubs. Sure, it indicates a slightly stronger hand, but it gives you the chance to play in 4C,4M, or 5C when right.

As for 3N, I usually have a stopper.

#20 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2008-October-27, 08:06

My partner never had a 5-card major or a 6-card club suit, had 0-15 points with 4+ diamonds headed by 2+ honors including the 10.

Opener had 4-10 points with 6 or 7 diamonds. If 7 he would not have a 4-card side suit. If 6 he would not be 6322 and would have at least 3+ honors including the 10.

3D made 5 times, it went down one 25 times, it went down two 22 and down 3 or more 48 times.

It is of course possible that I made a mistake, I'll rerun.

- hrothgar

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users