BBO Discussion Forums: Debate #2 - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Debate #2 Most annoying mannerism/vocal tic!?

#1 User is offline   Lobowolf 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Attorney, writer, entertainer.<br><br>Great close-up magicians we have known: Shoot Ogawa, Whit Haydn, Bill Malone, David Williamson, Dai Vernon, Michael Skinner, Jay Sankey, Brian Gillis, Eddie Fechter, Simon Lovell, Carl Andrews.

Posted 2008-October-07, 19:26

Ya know, for as much as Sarah Palin bugs people for her speech/style (leaving positions aside for this one), BY FAR nothing any of the Final Four does grates on my nerves as McCain's "My friends" every 10 seconds.
1. LSAT tutor for rent.

Call me Desdinova...Eternal Light

C. It's the nexus of the crisis and the origin of storms.

IV: ace 333: pot should be game, idk

e: "Maybe God remembered how cute you were as a carrot."

#2 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-07, 19:48

I have had a long-held daydream of screaming at him I'M NOT YOUR FRIEND!
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#3 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2008-October-07, 20:11

as far as substance goes, i don't see a lot from either but imo mccain is losing even more ground tonight
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#4 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-08, 01:05

luke warm, on Oct 7 2008, 09:11 PM, said:

as far as substance goes, i don't see a lot from either but imo mccain is losing even more ground tonight

I agree, I don't think it was much of a performance from either, but McCain had those two awful moments. His whole style is so dumbed down, I can't even tolerate it. I really liked Obama's response to the one time McCain busted out "he doesn't understand....", but otherwise I think he could have done a fair amount better. The thing is though, he didn't have to...

#5 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-08, 01:23

jdonn, on Oct 8 2008, 02:05 AM, said:

luke warm, on Oct 7 2008, 09:11 PM, said:

I agree, I don't think it was much of a performance from either, but McCain had those two awful moments. His whole style is so dumbed down, I can't even tolerate it. I really liked Obama's response to the one time McCain busted out "he doesn't understand....", but otherwise I think he could have done a fair amount better. The thing is though, he didn't have to...

doing better would require a surgically precise slam of McCain; the drawback is that if Obama were to miss, he would come off as arrogant and inappropriate.

re your "friend" comment... my kneejerk reaction was that that was sounding remarkably like the lyrics from the wall...

would, would you like to see
brittania rule again,
my friend...

#6 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-08, 10:43

From both of them I heard "We're spending too much....(10 seconds later)....here's billions of additional spending to fix our problems." You have to love the "we got in this mess due to deregulation mantra." Of course, the problem could not possibly be the mandates and the creation of two mortgage giants to give loans to people who didn't have the credit needed to otherwise qualify. Politics is a joke. They never even get close to addressing the fundamental issues.

#7 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-08, 11:39

DrTodd13, on Oct 8 2008, 11:43 AM, said:

Of course, the problem could not possibly be the mandates and the creation of two mortgage giants to give loans to people who didn't have the credit needed to otherwise qualify.

In fairness to McCain, didn't he say exactly that? Granted he blamed only the opposition party for it...

#8 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2008-October-08, 11:42

yeah... the buzz today is about mccain's 300 billion plan to buy mortgages and refinance them... people are saying it's a great idea, as if nationalizing yet one more thing is good
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#9 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-08, 11:44

luke warm, on Oct 8 2008, 12:42 PM, said:

yeah... the buzz today is about mccain's 300 billion plan to buy mortgages and refinance them... people are saying it's a great idea, as if nationalizing yet one more thing is good

Who is saying it's a great idea? It sure sounded like a terrible idea to me, and that's all I've heard anyone else say as well.

#10 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2008-October-08, 12:12

i was listening to the talking heads after the debate, and most from both sides said it sounded like a good idea... if that's changed this morning, it's changed

#11 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-08, 12:13

By chance, were they talking fox-heads?

#12 User is offline   luke warm 

Posted 2008-October-08, 12:16

jdonn, on Oct 8 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

i said "from both sides" ... i watched the debate on nbc and switched between that and cbs (because, even though she's taken a lot of heat, i still like katie)...

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2008-October-08, 12:33

luke warm, on Oct 8 2008, 01:16 PM, said:

jdonn, on Oct 8 2008, 01:13 PM, said:

i said "from both sides" ... i watched the debate on nbc and switched between that and cbs (because, even though she's taken a lot of heat, i still like katie)...

That's cool. I wasn't consider the people on NBC CBS ABC "talking heads". I generally watch CNN, although I watched the debate on NBC.

#14 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-08, 13:11

McCain's "My friends" did bother me some. What bothered me more was all the talk about how great the American worker is and how great Americans are and how great ... Who can remember it all? If I spent that much time telling my wife how great she is I think she would get very suspicious about what I was up to. I wanted to say "If we are all so damn great why is the economy out of control?"

Don't get me wrong. I love this country. But I don't feel the need to go up to some working guy and tell him how great he is. And I'm great. And you're great. My dog is great.
Ken

#15 User is offline   jikl 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2008-October-08, 17:14

So who does McCain on SNL? And how many times will "my friend/s" come up? And will "maverick" be mentioned? :D

Sean

#16 User is online   kenberg 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-09, 07:43

To balance the scales a bit, I also had a bit of a problem with one of Obama"a remarks. I don't have the transcript but as I recall he mentioned that he had traveled to Afghanistan and had told Karzai that he would have to do better. I have tried without success to imagine this conversation: Hi, I'm Barack Obama. I'm running for the presidency in the US and I felt I should drop in to let you know you have really screwed the pooch here.
Something like that?
Ken

#17 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2008-October-09, 08:34

My least favorite is when McCain gets up and walks around with that right arm held out at a right angle. He looks like he is dancing the robot and he fell asleep in mid-step. :angry: :(
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#18 User is offline   Al_U_Card 

Posted 2008-October-09, 08:39

I am also not so crazy about Palin's open-mouth...in every still picture. I am sure it has something to do with oral fixations or something else oral...
The Grand Design, reflected in the face of Chaos...it's a fluke!

#19 User is offline   PassedOut 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Music, films, computer programming, politics, bridge

Posted 2008-October-09, 09:02

I noticed Obama's frequent use of the word "and" as a time-filler while he chose his next sentence.

It often seems to me that McCain struggles to keep his anger in check. Even so, I was a bit surprised to see this piece by Michael Kinsley today: At the Craps Tables With John McCain

“McCain immediately turned to the woman and said between clenched teeth: ‘DON’T TOUCH ME.’ The woman started to explain...McCain interrupted her: ‘DON’T TOUCH ME,’ he repeated viciously. The woman again tried to explain. ‘DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? DO YOU KNOW WHO YOU’RE TALKING TO?’ McCain continued, his voice rising and his hands now raised in the ‘bring it on’ position. He was red-faced. By this time all the action at the table had stopped. I was completely shocked. McCain had totally lost it, and in the space of about ten seconds. ‘Sir, you must be courteous to the other players at the table,’ the pit boss said to McCain. “DO YOU KNOW WHO I AM? ASK ANYBODY AROUND HERE WHO I AM.”

Guess he's not "Mr. Congeniality" at the craps table either.
The growth of wisdom may be gauged exactly by the diminution of ill temper. — Friedrich Nietzsche
The infliction of cruelty with a good conscience is a delight to moralists — that is why they invented hell. — Bertrand Russell

#20 User is offline   matmat 

• ded
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-October-09, 09:17

i am not a huge fan of people declaring their "last point" in a conversation...

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users