BBO Discussion Forums: Electronics Ban - BBO Discussion Forums

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Electronics Ban

Poll: Have you contacted ACBL regarding this? (12 member(s) have cast votes)

Have you contacted ACBL regarding this?

1. 1. I have, gotten no response. (2 votes [16.67%])

Percentage of vote: 16.67%

2. 2. I have, gotten a response. (6 votes [50.00%])

Percentage of vote: 50.00%

3. 3. I intend to, haven't yet. (4 votes [33.33%])

Percentage of vote: 33.33%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2008-June-09, 11:40

What is interesting is that Jay's tone and response is nearly the same in every single one of these letters.

I'll give him the benefit of the doubt that he isn't having the responses to this issue 'ghost-written', but at a certain point, you'd think that the volume of letters would cause him to sway his personal opinion.

I wonder how many 'letters' the board received prior to suggesting this ban.

I can't help but feel this ban was a knee-jerk reaction to the grumblings of a few after the Women's BAM in SF. Correct me if I'm wrong, but was this ban even discussed before San Francisco?
"Phil" on BBO

#62 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2008-June-09, 12:26

Dear Mr. Baum:

I am writing to you about the cell phone ban at the Las Vegas NABC. My understanding of the new rule is that if you carry a cell phone with you in the playing area, that an automatic penalty is levied. This applies only to NABC events.

As I'm sure you've heard from others on this issue, I would will simply add my personal views.

I am not staying at the Hilton. On many days, I will be playing three sessions. If I can't bring my cell phone with me, it means I am out of touch with my wife and three kids for about 16 hours. Getting away to nationals is already stressful enough on my family life. Not being able to call them between sessions creates additional stress. I don't know if you have children but they look forward to hearing from me during the day between sessions. This small gesture greatly mitigates the stress of my absence. I am sure many players share this sentiment.

A drop-off location for phones looks good on paper, but will result in chaos when sessions get over. There seems to be some definite security issues as well. Do I want to trust my $400 phone in the hands of a stranger?

I presume the ban on cell phones is a result of 1) other players being bothered, and 2) security issues.

Re: 1) All the league really needs to do is enforce and bolster the current rules. When the rule was implemented about cell phones ringing in a playing area, directors would not hesitate to give a penalty. Now, cell phones regularly ring at regionals and no one says a word. Only if someone has the gall to answer the phone and talk does a director make an issue out of it, and I've seen penalties waived even in these instances. If this rule is enforced, cell phone abuse would be greatly reduced. Personally I think if a player takes a phone out of their pocket or purse during play, it should be an automatic penalty. There's simply no reason to have a phone out.

Re: 2) I don't think this the ban will curb cheating, There are many ways to cheat between partners, and teammates that do not involve the use of cell phones. Personally I think the security issue is a 'red herring' for #1.

I would suggest treating cell phones like cigarettes. If you use a cell phone inside the playing area, its a rules violation, much like if you lit up at the table or in the hallway. However, the mere possession of a phone (in the off position) in the playing area, should not constitute a violation, or even a presumption of guilt. Possession of a cell phone should be no more of a violation of the rules than possession of cigarettes in your pocket.

Unfortunately, I think most players will ignore this ban and the directors will be caught in a very awkward position trying to enforce this rule. My guess is that they will let it slide or look the other way, if they think a player isn't doing any harm. Directors have enough to worry about without playing 'phone police'. The players that choose to abide by the ban will be very bitter when others have phones with them.

Thanks for listening, and I hope the league will reconsider this ban.

Phil Clayton

And...just received this. (wow, he's fast)

Phil:
Thank you for your note.We will assess the electronic device issue after LV .I can't predict whether this will remain , be altered ,or discontinued.Happy to have to input.Thanks for taking the time to share your thoughts.
Kindest regards,

Jay Baum, CEO
ACBL

"Phil" on BBO

#63 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2008-July-20, 09:20

For anyone who is still interested in this subject:

The Bridge World posted a rather length Letter to the Editor on this subject in the August issues.

The title of the letter is "Cell Block". It can be found on page 23.

(I'd like to thank at the forum regulars who helped me organize my thoughts and compose the submission)
Alderaan delenda est

• 4 Pages +
  • « First
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users