Posted 2007-December-30, 12:50

CSGibson, on Dec 30 2007, 03:12 PM, said:

whereagles, on Dec 29 2007, 05:54 AM, said:

pclayton, on Dec 29 2007, 06:01 AM, said:

AKx
98xx
AQTx
AK

If 4N is natural (and why shouldn't it be, as Matt suggests) isn't this the perfect call?

no. that's a perfect direct 3NT overcall :)

A 3NT overcall should be a running tricks and a stop in the bid suit, not a balanced 20 count. Double is right, obviously, and 4 NT natural seems right also, since you have a 4 spade cue bid for all hands interested in club slams, although I understand that others may assign a special meaning to the 4NT bid, like a spade ask.

Disagree.

I would bid 3NT all of the time with say 4=2=3=4 20 count. Double would just encourage partner to bid 4, especially on a competitive auction, with marginal values and length in hearts.

Other balanced shapes that I have bid 3NT are 3=2=4=4, any 4-3-3-3, any 5-3-3-2 etc. I might even try 3NT with a singleton in the other major 4=1=4=4 for example especially with a stiff ace or king. Of course I would bid 3NT on hands with a long minor as well.

For me 3NT is just a hand too good for 2NT and unsuitable for a double with a stopper in the opponent's suit.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#22 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2007-December-30, 20:32

:P Have to respond key cards according to our system. If pard has a notrump type hand, it must be HUGE, and she is fishing for seven. It would have to be too big to bid 2NT or 3NT the first time. Sounds more like a club fit and a slam try. I am kinda a min for 4, we may get too high, but wtf, sometimes you get the bear, and sometimes the bear gets you.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users