• Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2007-September-06, 09:53

Edit: Playing against a pair of incompetents the bidding at the table goes:

1 - Pass - 3* - 3
4 - Pass - Pass - 4
Pass - ?

*"Show's 6 clubs and limity values"

What do you bid at MPs, IMPs? Should you even be thinking slam?
Kevin Fay

#2 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-06, 10:06

Partner should be 6-5 or better. If you trust the opps, he doen't have a lot of points. I would pass, but would be prepared to bid 5H over 5C.

Peter

#3 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-06, 11:47

Partner has diamonds and hearts.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#4 User is offline   kfay 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Science, Sports

Posted 2007-September-06, 12:01

Maybe the tag on this thread is a little stupid.

My question is whether or not anyone thinks partner can be good enough to consider going any higher here. Obviously the vulnerability could mean he has anything, but he's also almost certainly void in clubs and has to have top cards in hearts and maybe enough diamonds that you can ruff away his losers. Would you ever consider going on?
Kevin Fay

#5 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-06, 12:09

My question is whether or not anyone thinks partner can be good enough to consider going any higher here. Obviously the vulnerability could mean he has anything, but he's also almost certainly void in clubs and has to have top cards in hearts and maybe enough diamonds that you can ruff away his losers. Would you ever consider going on?

Not if you trust the opps. They have at least half the deck, there's a chance that slam may make, but I don't see a way of finding that out until the dummy comes down.

Peter

#6 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2007-September-06, 12:10

I would not try for slam. Partner could have xx K109xx AQJxxx - where 4 might be the limit. That is also consistent with the opponents' bidding.

- hrothgar

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-September-06, 12:12

This is a tough one:

On the one hand, 3 was non-forcing. When partner made this bid, he was prepared for you to pass. (To some extent) this limits the maximum strength of his hand.

One the other hand, you have the World's Fair here:

1. 4 card support for partner with the QJ of Hearts
2. A first round Spade control
3. 2 Diamonds and plenty of trump to establish that Diamond suit.

Give partner as little as

xx
AKxxx
AKxxxx

and you have a great shot at making a Grand.

Even so, I suspect that I would pass. I suspect that the range of hands that would start with a 3 overcall yet make slam opposite my hand is pretty small. Moreover, I don't see any intelligent way to investigate. (Would 5 necessarily ask for the AK?)
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2007-September-06, 12:23

hrothgar, on Sep 6 2007, 01:12 PM, said:

Give partner as little as

xx
AKxxx
AKxxxx

AS LITTLE AS?????

- hrothgar

#9 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-September-06, 12:40

That should be right unless the answer is "some great weed."
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#10 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess

Posted 2007-September-06, 14:49

P must have some high cards since with merely distribution he would have let opps play 4, especially since they are "incompetents".

I'm going to pass and to double 5 if it comes so far. Against an incompetent declarer we will go plus and there's no need to gamble under these circumstances.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#11 User is offline   mikeh 

• Interests:Bridge, golf, wine (red), cooking, reading eclectically but insatiably, travelling, making bad posts.

Posted 2007-September-06, 15:00

Where the heck is the spade suit? I hold 3.. give opener 4.... if responder has 4 wouldn't he usually bid 1, even if incompetent? So, unless someone has placed a spade in with his clubs (and opener's 4 call combined with responder's 3 call announcing a 6 card suit strongly suggests that one or both of the opps have some trouble sorting their hands.... 4 on a 4=3=3=3 or 4=4=2=3 non 1N hand????), partner has 3 spades.

No, he can't.... please don't tell me he did :)

He bids like he is 5=6 or more..... and, yes, he may have enough for slam, but, no, I am not moving. If I did move, it is an easy 4, which could not possibly be misunderstood.

One of the little-discussed problems of playing in a weak field is that it is dangerous to draw logical inferences.
'one of the great markers of the advance of human kindness is the howls you will hear from the Men of God' Johann Hari

#12 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2007-September-06, 20:39

mikeh, on Sep 6 2007, 04:00 PM, said:

One of the little-discussed problems of playing in a weak field is that it is dangerous to draw logical inferences.

I cannot agree more.

However, I think you can trust partner on this one. 4-level reverses tend to be based upon stuff.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#13 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-September-07, 00:43

Hannie, on Sep 6 2007, 12:47 PM, said:

Partner has diamonds and hearts.

You are very wise.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#14 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-September-07, 00:52

I'm thinking the spade suit got lost because RHO has 10xxxx and Hxxx in clubs; possibly even more likely they're 4-3-3-3. I give partner Hx* Kxxxx Axxxxx*

*If we try 4 it may encourage partner to slam if holding Kx in and AKxxxx in . I think the 2 hands are within the expected 10-13 hcp range for partner.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

#15 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-September-07, 01:04

Let me share my biggest pet peeve in bridge, and I know jdonn can confirm this.

I'm sittin in my chair with a 2560 like 12 count, pretty grungy suits, but still you never know we could have a game. It goes 1C p 3C, limit raise. Is 4C any 2 suits? Nah probably pard will just take it as majors. I can't really double with a doubleton spade. It's likely we will have to bid over 5C, so diamonds is better to bid now than hearts, besides it is my longer suit. So I bid 3D. LHO now bids 4C and it's passed around to me. Interesting, no game try or anything, but they have extra club length, and probably the honors. Partner probably has some working values and didn't overcall 1S or anything. I'm likely to buy a red suit fit. Hell, we may have a game. I may go for a number here and look like an idiot in front of 200 kibs, and some potential clients will be watching and never hire me. I can be safe and just pass. Nah, F it, I think we might have a game and I'm not giving up on it. 4H!

I have taken my life into my hands, and partner has the MONEY dummy. QJxx of hearts, an ace, and a doubleton diamond. WTF WTF WTF sltdslghdsglsdhlgkds, PARTNER MADE A SLAM TRY?!?!?! COME ON PARD IM GOING TO BLOCK YOU ON AIM AND NEVER SPEAK TO YOU AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!!!!! HOW CAN YOU DO THIS?

Now the obvious counterargument to this is that if making a slam try is +EV and I don't always have such a hand, partner should make it. I just respectfully submit that when the opps have opened and made a limit raise and I have made a NON FORCING 3D bid, I have this hand like 90 % of the time. Don't hang me because I caught the right dummy for my bid pard.

That should sum up my feeling on this problem, and my philosophy on bridge in general.

#16 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8

Posted 2007-September-07, 01:14

Jlall, on Sep 7 2007, 02:04 AM, said:

I agree with you (how did you know! oh maybe because I've hung you like 50000 times). Seriously hanging partner in this way is my worst habit by far, and has always been hard for me to break. As Justin would say, I instinctively play "in theory".

My wording would be like this. The auction tells you it's very likely partner is taking a chance, and he was probably just hoping for a good dummy. If you hang him every time he takes a chance, not only will he stop taking the chances that (presumably) make him play so well with his (presumably) awesome judgment, but even worse he will hate playing with you. From the other side it really is frustrating to take a chance, have it be right, and have partner screw you.

In theory you could certainly argue this hand is worth a slam try. But making one at the table would be a GIGANTIC mistake, often in the short run, always in the long run.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#17 User is offline   Rebound 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-07, 06:06

Frankly, I agree. When I haven't been playing a lot, like lately, I often fall prey to flights of fancy like this.

I'm generally more level headed and avoid this type of thinking when I'm in practice. But I think my post served a useful purpose: to illuminate the flawed thinking that went into it.

Thanks.
I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy - but it might improve my bridge.

#18 User is offline   asc 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-07, 06:20

4 would be OK if P not PASS :( .
5!!! -if he like my CUE BID :) against his void and say 5 -now is the problem 6 or 7!?

#19 User is offline   kenrexford 

Posted 2007-September-07, 06:31

Jlall, on Sep 7 2007, 02:04 AM, said:

Yeah, good point. I've made that same bid before myself many times and been hung.

I fully retract everything I said. Pass 4.

Had partner bid this way but his second suit was spades, then there might be more incentive to move (chaning my hand appropriately), as he had better options earlier. But, showing the two lowest, especially if unequal length, is tough.

-P.J. Painter.

#20 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-September-07, 06:44

I have to say I agree with Justin and Josh on this one.
Sure, it's tough to pass at the table, it really looks like partner has got a nice hand. But you shouldn't hang partner here. Just like you shouldn't hang partner for balancing - it's just the same here, just on a higher level.
Kind regards,
Harald

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users