BBO Discussion Forums: Why (and should) 2 USA teams in BB? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Why (and should) 2 USA teams in BB? When China number of players...

#1 User is offline   drinbrasil 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-October-15, 10:25

Hi all, (valid for BB,SB and VC)

2 questions:

1) If is about number of players, I am thinking, when China number of players in bridge start to grow as big as USA, they will have rights to China1 and China2 as well?

2) I dont remember any other sport where one country can have 2 teams to dispute one WORLD title. If you are playing for your country, cannot you deliberary loss one match at some point to put one team who was in bad run awake to win other team who was disputing with our other country team? Or to play better and make other team go down and not qualify with better carry over?All in all, Is fair have then 2 teams from same country to dispute wich country is better?

offtopic: when my sister who doesnt play bridge saw photo "we dont vote bush" and she saw 2 usa teams, she asked me "the other usa is the bush team?" LOL
Occam's razor: "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not unicorns."

#2 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-October-15, 10:41

In some sense China already does have multiple teams: China, Chinese Taipei, and China Hong Kong. Of course, whether the latter two really count as China teams is questionable, but according to the Chinese government they do...

Presumably if the number of bridge players in each zone changes dramatically, WBF will change the number of qualifying teams from the zones. USA having two teams is a combination of the facts that: (1) The North America zone has a lot of players (2) The North America zone has essentially only three countries (USA, Canada, Mexico) (3) The Zonal Authority (ACBL) has decided to allocate two teams to the USA and only one to Canada/Mexico, a decision which might come under some question if the Mexican team were ever truly competitive (they haven't been).
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#3 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2007-October-15, 10:46

Yeah, plus it is apparently well-known that there are two Americas in the United States. LOL
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

#4 User is offline   markleon 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2007-October-15, 10:59

The WBF always makes the two USA teams in each event play each other within the first 2 or 3 matches to help minimize the incentive for "nationalistic" dumping.

#5 User is offline   drinbrasil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 11:16

As i received one ask at BBO, not clear in my first post, my position is i think is NOT fair 2 teams from same country in one World dispute.

#6 User is offline   helene_t 

• The Abbess
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 12:28

I may be wrong but I think it's related to the fact that USA has enough world class players to deliver five or six BB level teams if they were allowed. Not the number of bridge players per se.

There is a conflict of interest. It is good for the publicity that many different countries, and many different continents, participate. OTOH it is also a good thing if the field is a strong as possible.

I suppose two US teams is reasonable compromise.
The world would be such a happy place, if only everyone played Acol :) --- TramTicket

#7 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2007-October-15, 12:39

In some ways, it might be better to consider the Bermuda Bowl as a competition between Zones rather than one between individual countries.

The WBF determines how many teams each Zone is permitted to set to the Bermuda Bowl. As I understand matters, this decision is some function of the number of bridge players who are active in each Zone.

Individual Zones then determine how they will allocate the available slots to the different teams that are contesting the event.

Zone 2 (the Zone that the United States belongs to) made the decision that two of the three slots would be allocated to the United States and one would be contested between Canada and Mexico. As I understand matters, this format is strongly preferred by Mexico and Canada.

Most of the other Zones only allow one team per country.
Alderaan delenda est

#8 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 15:05

Agree with Helene that it is not just the number of bridge players, also the level. If you look at how often the US has won and how many teams they can field that would have a shot at winning, it is not comparabe with any other country.

Suppose the European Union gets a constitution and becomes more and more one country, should they then send fewer teams to the Bermuda Bowl? I'd say that should be irrelevant. It makes perfect sense to me that a huge bridge country like the US gets two teams.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#9 User is offline   drinbrasil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 15:47

Do you think make perfect sense if Brasil send 2 teams to WC soccer or Russia send 2 teams to Olympiads of chess? hehe what i want know is if you think is fair one COUNTRY, dispute WORLD title with 2 teams in 22. At end i see people talking about how many times USA won titles, the country.
Or the country is irrelevant in this torney and important is good bridge?
(note: i agree USA can have many teams in better teams in world, this is never questionable from me).

My main question is about the dispute between countries. I saw one reply here saying BB is dispute between zones :blink: i didnt know this...then zone "A" has x titles, zone "B" y titles and so on...? :blink: we should count this way?

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-October-15, 16:09

drinbrasil, on Oct 15 2007, 04:47 PM, said:

Do you think make perfect sense if Brasil send 2 teams to WC soccer or Russia send 2 teams to Olympiads of chess? hehe what i want know is if you think is fair one COUNTRY, dispute WORLD title with 2 teams in 22. At end i see people talking about how many times USA won titles, the country.
(note: i agree USA can have many teams in better teams in world, this is never questionable from me).

My main question is about the dispute between countries. I saw one reply here saying BB is dispute between zones  :blink:  i didnt know this...then zone "A" has x titles, zone "B" y titles and so on...?  :blink:  we should count this way?

IF you are saying the old USSR should get 2 chess teams, I assume they play and win only as a team, then Yes they should get two teams.

If you are saying Europe or South America should get more teams than north america in soccer....YES.

#11 User is offline   drinbrasil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 16:11

mike777, on Oct 15 2007, 10:09 PM, said:

My main question is about the dispute between countries. I saw one reply here saying BB is dispute between zones  :blink:  i didnt know this...then zone "A" has x titles, zone "B" y titles and so on...?  :blink:  we should count this way?

IF you are saying the old USSR should get 2 chess teams, I assume they play and win only as a team, then Yes they should get two teams.

If you are saying Europe or South America should get more teams than north america in soccer....YES.

No, you didnt understand what i said.

#12 User is online   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2007-October-15, 17:47

Do you think make perfect sense if Brasil send 2 teams to WC soccer or Russia send 2 teams to Olympiads of chess? hehe what i want know is if you think is fair one COUNTRY, dispute WORLD title with 2 teams in 22.
<snip>

Not sure if it makes sense, but in the software business
one says, software is the way it is, because of historic
reasons.

Does it make sense, that there are 4 soccer
teams from Great Britain in the competition?
- England
- Wales
- Scotland
- North Ireland

And two from Denmark?
- Denmark
- Faroer Isles (hopefully I spelled them right
and hopefully the Faroer Isles
belong to Denmark)

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#13 User is offline   MickyB 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 17:56

P_Marlowe, on Oct 16 2007, 12:47 AM, said:

Do you think make perfect sense if Brasil send 2 teams to WC soccer or Russia send 2 teams to Olympiads of chess? hehe what i want know is if you think is fair one COUNTRY, dispute WORLD title with 2 teams in 22.
<snip>

Not sure if it makes sense, but in the software business
one says, software is the way it is, because of historic
reasons.

Does it make sense, that there are 4 soccer
teams from Great Britain in the competition?
- England
- Wales
- Scotland
- North Ireland

And two from Denmark?
- Denmark
- Faroer Isles (hopefully I spelled them right
and hopefully the Faroer Isles
belong to Denmark)

With kind regards
Marlowe

This is equivalent to there being one team from the South of USA and another from the North.

#14 User is offline   Echognome 

• Deipnosophist
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 18:03

In athletics, in the olympics you have limits by country. However, in the world championships, the limits are determined by qualification regardless of country. However you want to set up your competition is really up to the organizers. I don't see why one team per country by default is anything special.
"Half the people you know are below average." - Steven Wright

#15 User is offline   awm 

Posted 2007-October-15, 18:07

Whether this is "fair" depends on how you define "fair." Some problems:

(1) It's not the case that, assuming equally good teams, all countries have equal chance of winning. For a good European team to get to the Bermuda Bowl, they have to make it through a potentially tough field in the European Championships. For a good Australian team to get to the Bermuda Bowl, well, that's automatic. So some countries have to struggle to even get to the BB whereas other countries get automatic spots. The US getting two teams is another example of the same thing.

(2) An obvious "solution" is to simply say "one team per country" and let every country send a team. But this is not good either, because there would be a lot more teams, making the competition lengthy, and at the same time many of the teams added would be pretty bad teams from tiny countries with very few bridge players.

(3) Some countries divide naturally into regions, and in many cases these regions have been granted their own teams. Obvious example is China vs. China Hong Kong. It's not clear to me that British divisions (i.e. England vs. Scotland) couldn't also have their own teams in BB if they qualified via the European Championships. Perhaps the US should be encouraged to send teams from different states/regions (i.e. Texas, California, New England)? I don't see why this really makes matters better though, especially since it's relatively easy for Americans to move from state to state and many bridge professionals hardly even have a home address (since they travel from tournament to tournament for a living).

(4) From the viewpoint of an individual player in the US, it's actually still harder to make the BB than for individual players from most other nations. This is because the number of "world-class" players in the US is so ridiculously high. Reducing to one US team would make this difference even more extreme. Fairness to individual players seems like it has some validity as well as fairness to countries; after all the individual player gets to put "world champion" or at least "represented country in bermuda bowl" in their resume, gets a star on BBO, probably helps their reputation as a professional player, etc.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#16 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2007-October-15, 19:02

mike777, on Oct 15 2007, 05:09 PM, said:

Mike, I not only understand what you are saying, I completely agree! Let's have a party.

BTW, I think the Russia does get to send more than one player to the world championships. Ever heard about Kasparov and Karpov drinbrasil?

Another great comparison is the olympics. There are many events where there are many Americans competing for the gold medal but fewer of even no Dutch. That doesn't seem wrong to me, the Americans who don't qualify for those events are probably still far better than the Dutch.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#17 User is offline   drinbrasil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 20:01

Hannie, on Oct 16 2007, 01:02 AM, said:

mike777, on Oct 15 2007, 05:09 PM, said:

Mike, I not only understand what you are saying, I completely agree! Let's have a party.

BTW, I think the Russia does get to send more than one player to the world championships. Ever heard about Kasparov and Karpov drinbrasil?

Another great comparison is the olympics. There are many events where there are many Americans competing for the gold medal but fewer of even no Dutch. That doesn't seem wrong to me, the Americans who don't qualify for those events are probably still far better than the Dutch.

I said olimpics in chess because is per country (teams). Chess WC is individual...and i bet i know more chess than you :D

Indivual sports dont say wich COUNTRY is the best. Just the best person. Etiope wins 10000m, usa wins 400m and so on, each category has one winner, and you can say there is ONE country better in medals at atletics. Not realistic think about individual torneys. When is 100mx4 you see more than one USA team running? USA is the best in fast guys...should has 3 teams...

Only to me when countries involved, i never saw any sport where there are more than one REGULAR team per country, only bridge. Btw in chess if odd number of teams local team can put one more team (when i was player hosts has advantage to put already 2 for start), but in this case also the country has advantage.

What i think about bridge is that is because that is and noone says nothing because noone cares and seems natural the best country have 2 teams. Is like basketball soon sending 2 usa teams to WC Basket, soccer Brasil sending 2 teams to WC. Will be very good, if one team play bad other can win.

But if all community of bridge like this and thinks is fair, ok, i am alone in this view, no problems:-) Just interesting so diferent aproach for WORLD TITLE, diferent from big majority of all sports and have only one person thinking like me :blink:

#18 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-October-15, 20:09

Speaking only for myself, in bridge, I would prefer a transnational olympiad than a one team per country olympiad.

I would hope that a transnational olympiad would embody all of the "traditions" that one could squeeze in given the fact it is transnational.

#19 User is offline   pretzalz 

• PipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 21:02

Only to me when countries involved, i never saw any sport where there are more than one REGULAR team per country, only bridge.

Beach Volleyball, bobsled, Luge are just a couple sports that have more than one team per country at the olympics.

#20 User is offline   Gerardo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin

Posted 2007-October-15, 21:08

In Chess Olympiads, hosts get a second team, rarely a third.

Last time in Russia, Russia2 got bronze IIRC.

drin, in our case (Zone 3), the Zonal Authority (the CSB) decides which teams sends to the WC.

For that, it organizes round-robin tournaments with one team per country, then KO (semifinals and final). Semifinals longer than final, as the WC berth is played there (2 berths available).

ACBL, Zonal 1 authority, decides to give 2 berths to the same country, unique in the world.

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users