BBO Discussion Forums: World Championship prediction thread - BBO Discussion Forums

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

World Championship prediction thread

#41 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-September-29, 12:22

I think you are wrong Paul, but I'm not 100% sure about this. It's an interesting idea but they might not have any choice in the matter.

If I were USA2 I would try to maximize my chances of getting to the finals, and then try to win those.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#42 User is offline   cherdano 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-29, 12:25

cardsharp, on Sep 29 2007, 12:12 PM, said:

skaeran, on Sep 29 2007, 07:08 PM, said:

Surely this weakens the team - no insult to Hemant Lall intended, he's obviously a strong player, but not in the same league as Soloway.

As I mentioned in my blog, I think this will encourage USA2 to play Italy as soon as possible in the KO stages, given the opportunity. This would give them the best chance of winning the event, which I'm sure is their only thought.

Hmm, I disagree. Your logic (they want to play a match as short as possible against Italy) only makes sense if they believe they are the worse team. They will have the choice only if they did considerably better than Italy in the round robin. Do you really think they would believe they are inferior in that case?
(In fact I doubt this team would ever believe being inferior.)

I would rather guess they will prefer to play Italy as late as possible so that Hemmant have more time to get in tune.
The easiest way to count losers is to line up the people who talk about loser count, and count them. -Kieran Dyke

#43 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-29, 12:30

I was thinking exactly the same.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#44 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-September-29, 13:36

In my opinion it is always better to wait till the last possible moment to play your main competitors for the simple reason that they may get eliminated. Yes you can create artificial scenarios where on a scale of 1-100 team A is a 100, team B is a 95 and teams C and D are 1's, and thus C or D will never beat A and B should try to randomize it by playing a shorter match vs A. This is not the case in the bermuda bowl though where even a team like say, argentina, would have a non zero chance of beating the italians.

Interestingly I had this same debate in with Joe in the junior world championships where Poland was generally considered better than us and we were generally considered better than everyone else. Joe thought that if we won the round robin maybe we should pick poland as our opponents since the match would be shorter. I made the point above but of course there were other factors too (poland only played 2 pairs so they were more apt to be tired towards the end and also carryover reasons).

#45 User is offline   Cascade 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Yellows
  • Interests:Juggling, Unicycling

Posted 2007-September-29, 14:53

Jlall, on Sep 30 2007, 07:36 AM, said:

In my opinion it is always better to wait till the last possible moment to play your main competitors for the simple reason that they may get eliminated. Yes you can create artificial scenarios where on a scale of 1-100 team A is a 100, team B is a 95 and teams C and D are 1's, and thus C or D will never beat A and B should try to randomize it by playing a shorter match vs A. This is not the case in the bermuda bowl though where even a team like say, argentina, would have a non zero chance of beating the italians.

Interestingly I had this same debate in with Joe in the junior world championships where Poland was generally considered better than us and we were generally considered better than everyone else. Joe thought that if we won the round robin maybe we should pick poland as our opponents since the match would be shorter. I made the point above but of course there were other factors too (poland only played 2 pairs so they were more apt to be tired towards the end and also carryover reasons).

In 2005 the Polish Juniors were very tired and it may well have cost them that they effectively played as a four. The won the round-robin well and then only narrowly lost the final in an eight-board playoff after they were tied with USA1 after regulation play.
Wayne Burrows

I believe that the USA currently hold only the World Championship For People Who Still Bid Like Your Auntie Gladys - dburn
dunno how to play 4 card majors - JLOGIC
True but I know Standard American and what better reason could I have for playing Precision? - Hideous Hog
Bidding is an estimation of probabilities SJ Simon

#46 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-September-29, 16:59

Cascade, on Sep 29 2007, 03:53 PM, said:

Jlall, on Sep 30 2007, 07:36 AM, said:

In 2005 the Polish Juniors were very tired and it may well have cost them that they effectively played as a four. The won the round-robin well and then only narrowly lost the final in an eight-board playoff after they were tied with USA1 after regulation play.

The same situation happened the next year too in thailand except this time we won the round robin (and did not pick poland). In fact we thought we might be the favorites in australia (biased of course) but in thailand we clearly were not (they had the same team, we lost our best pair from australia). Anyways sorry for the hijak just thought cardsharps comment was interesting.

#47 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-September-29, 18:39

easy, on Sep 29 2007, 08:45 PM, said:

Are all of the predictors aware that usa2 has lost paul soloway who has been replaced by hemant lall?

Oops! I wasnt aware but I am still sticking to my prediction.
SCBA National TD, EBU Club TD

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#48 User is offline   Aberlour10 

• Vugrapholic
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-30, 08:56

Go Trinidad Tobago Go! :rolleyes: It was a good 1st day! (won vs China SMEG & New Zealand)
Preempts are Aberlour's best bridge friends

#49 User is offline   Mbodell 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-September-30, 09:29

Pakistan also won all 3 matches and are in 5th overall which is a pretty good first day. Not so good for Australia who are 2nd to last and face another tough day tomorrow.

USA 1 had a fantastic day scoring 74, which would be a fine score against anyone but for it to include 24 off USA 2, makes it all the better.

Netherlands are the only team without a VP win (they beat Australia by 1 IMP for 15-15), but are tied for 11th.

Unsurprisingly, given the day they had, the USA 1 pairs rank 1st, 2nd, and 10th in the butler ranking of individual pairs.

#50 User is offline   Gerben42 

• Interests:Astronomy, Mathematics
    Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-02, 02:48

Okay I've received 17 entries B)

15 of 17 predict Italy wins the Bowl, one USA 2 homer call and one hopeful Norwegian :) who kindly put Netherlands in 2nd, rerun of the 1993 final.

Finalists after Italy:

7x USA 2
3x USA 1
2x Netherlands
2x China
1x Poland

VC Won:

4x France
3x USA 1
2x Netherlands
2x Germany
1x China
1x England

SB Won:

6x USA 2
3x USA 1
3x Poland
1x Indonesia (me)
Two wrongs don't make a right, but three lefts do!
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#51 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-02, 07:29

15 of 17 predict Italy wins the Bowl, one USA 2 homer call and one hopeful Norwegian smile.gif who kindly put Netherlands in 2nd, rerun of the 1993 final.

*ahem* Not simply a homer call! As I said in my post, why pick Italy like everyone else? If USA2 won, I'd look like a genius.

Also note my stunning integrity... I did not waver from my pick even when the news came that Soloway wouldn't be making the trip (meaning no offense to Jlall's pop, of course). Integrity.

Of course, I'm also looking like a huge loser. B) But I'm used to this, especially re: bridge.

Good luck to one and all... And thanks for running this, Gerben!

#52 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-08, 04:52

Only three players got 6 QF picks right, lowerline, edmunte1 and Roland Wald.

In the VC, most got at least 6, some got 7.

Nigel Guthrie got 7 of the Senior's QFists right.

All in all, Edmunte is ahead at the QF stage, 38 points.

Included the QF results now, ahead with 48 points... Harald Skaeran, and looking strong since he picked Netherlands & Norway as finalists, one of which will for sure be there (and the others all have Italy wrong).

Leading in the Bermuda Bowl so far is Roland Wald (24), Aberlour in the Venice Cup (22), Harald and I in the Senior's Bowl (9)
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#53 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-08, 06:19

I demand a refund! :P

Who expected Italy to be knocked out so soon?

Unless explicitly stated, none of my views here can be taken to represent SCBA or any other organizations.

#54 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-10, 06:52

Semifinal results included:

1. Harald Skaeran, 58
2. Roland Wald, 56
3 - 5. Paul Gipson, Edmunte, Dluxe, 52

No other players can win at this point.

Ahead in the Bermuda Bowl is Roland Wald but Harald will overtake him if Norway wins.

Ahead in the Venice Cup are Paul Gipson and Aberlour. Paul will win this if USA wins, Dluxe will win this if Germany wins.

Ahead in the Senior's Bowl are Nigel and I, but we disagree on the winner.
My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#55 User is offline   Rossoneri 

• Wabbit
  • PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-13, 02:19

Harald wins I believe =)

Great faith in your fellow countrymen!

#56 User is offline   Walddk 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Cricket

Posted 2007-October-14, 09:21

Gerben42, on Oct 10 2007, 02:52 PM, said:

Ahead in the Bermuda Bowl is Roland Wald but Harald will overtake him if Norway wins.

I am delighted that he did!

Roland
It's nice to be important, but it's more important to be nice

#57 User is offline   Gerben42 

Nuclear power

Posted 2007-October-15, 01:48

FINAL SCORE:

1. Harald: 70
2/3. Paul: 64
2/3. Ed: 64
4/5. Dluxe: 56
4/5. Roland: 56

BEST IN EACH COMPETITION:

Bermuda Bowl: Harald
Venice Cup: Paul
Seniors Bowl: Nigel

Edit I pasted the wrong line in my Excel-chart - Thanks to Paul for pointing this out

This post has been edited by Gerben42: 2007-October-15, 04:52

My Bridge Systems Page

BC Kultcamp Rieneck

#58 User is offline   HeavyDluxe 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-October-15, 07:39

First off, thanks for Gerben for the game and for tracking the results! This made the whole Championship a ton of fun. I only regret that I couldn't watch more of the matches live!

Congrats to the Harald for the win.

4/5. Roland: 56
4/5. Dluxe: 56

I suspect this will be the pinnacle of my achievements in bridge. I just won't tell people that it was a pick 'em pool.

:) Thanks everyone... It was fun!

• 3 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users