• You cannot reply to this topic

Tourney-related server changes

#1 User is offline   uday 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-January-14, 08:49

Jan 14, 2004

New server. Minor tweaks and bugfixes

1. Perfomance boost that might help with those weird little 3-10 second pauses we have been seeing when we have a lot of tourneys running

2. Swiss pairs now shows players their matchpoints/imps after each round (in the MOVIE window)

3. Tourney filters no longer lost when server restarted/crashed

4. Exclude Enemies filter now working again. I still think it is better to use an explicit "Exclude enemies" filter when creating a T, especially if you have a lot of enemies. Filtering out a lot of enemies is a relatively expensive operation.

5. Private club description no longer lost when server restarted/crashed

6. Tourney players with latest beta can now find their own subs for a missing partner

7. TD can now request a sub by clicking missing player from sub list (no need to select the sub)

8. Potential sub sees correct partner info when invited (by the TD) to play as a sub

#2 User is offline   mink 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2004-January-14, 16:19

Great!

I saw another new feature:

Lock Symbol attached to those tourneys not open for all, and automatical descritption of the kind of restriction imposed.

However, I would not show the lock symbol if the host just excludes his enemies - text that states that should be sufficient, and I think most people are nobody's enemies, so they are not affected by that restriction.

Karl

#3 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-January-14, 16:22

I agree with Karl's comment. If the only people banned from my tournements is a short list of trouble makers who I have in a file on my PC, I see no reason to display a lock either. This lock feature is very nice.

Ben
--Ben--

#4 User is offline   Rain 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2004-January-14, 22:49

I don't see why if the exclusion is enemy list it shouldn't get a lock symbol. Do you mean because its embaressing? Yes sure, I agree its embaressing...but how else to know whether or not a tourney is open to all with one glance?

The change I suggest (although I think it'll take a lot of coding and work! Probably not worth it) is to make the lock symbol unique to each interface, lol. If you are eligible for a tourney, you don't see a lock. If for any reason you are ineligible you see a lock. That way, user doesn't have to figure out if he/she is eligible--its all automated. Admittedly it seems difficult....

Is it possible to tie this with the online stored friends/enemies list?

If this is not possible, then I think any restriction should be clearly stated, with the lock symbol beside it to help make it clear tourney isn't open to all....

Rain
"More and more these days I find myself pondering how to reconcile my net income with my gross habits."

John Nelson.

#5 User is offline   Gweny 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Guests

Posted 2004-January-15, 03:52

;) Wonderful job Uday!

On topic of lock.... Yellows encourage TDs to mark troublemakers as enemies. Embarass? no but is my tournament restrict to 99.99999999% of BBO players? no it is not.

People who is mark enemy (on my list) earn this distinction by doing naughty things in tournament. For me it is constantly changing very small list. I do not host tournaments to grow enemy list but this is sole "schooling" device open to TDs to encourage behavior change in naughty players.

Maybe we need R when entry is restrict like for private club (one color,) nationality, (other color) Bidding system (other color)

Then MAYBE people see at glance they maybe not allow to play. I very annoy with harassment of Booze last weekend - this hardworking member of BBO Staff do not deserve comments I see for hosting tournament for countrymen.

Lock thing is nice BUT from looking at list it appear majority of tournaments is restrict and large numbers of these locks is due to non-enemy thing. I agree with other posts - no enemies do not deserve lock thing. tee hee it is little bit scary to go to tournament page and see all this lock... if it is simple color thing (option in create tournament) and R is color of private club, nationality, or bidding system then people maybe see at glance what is open.
Gweny :-)

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users