BBO Discussion Forums: Rulings about undisclosed information - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Rulings about undisclosed information

#1 User is offline   mr1303 

• Admirer of Walter the Walrus
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, surfing, water skiing, cricket, golf. Generally being outside really.

Posted 2004-January-13, 05:27

Last night I was co-directing a survivor tournament. On the last board, person A bid 4NT (I forget how the rest of the auction went) and proceded to explain to the table that it was asking for aces. Note, this was not to the opponents, but to the whole table so his/her partner could reply. From the opponents complaint, this was explanation took place about 20/30 seconds after the bid had been made, and the partner then proceded to bid 5C.

What was the correct decision to make in this situation? I asked a yellow, who told me not to worry about it and let play continue, but the opponents were not happy with this.

#2 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-January-13, 08:30

This is a thorney issue. First let's deal with the first issue, it is clearly Wrong to do as the 4NT bidder did. Having said that, let's put this action into some context. Was it a beginner tourneyment limited to B/I lounge members, was it an individual, was it entitled a "social tournment" come and have fun. Do these factors weigh in?

Could one of the opponents have ASKED what 4NT meant and in replying, the person in accidentally clicked to the room? From the likely actions by the player of the 4NT bidder, would pass be reasonable? Was the 4NT bidder and his partner an experienced partnership who clearly would both know the meaning of 4NT on the given auction, so the information was really of use only to the opponents.

I am not sure how I would rule without taking such situations into account, but one thing for sure, 4NT requires no alert, and if 4NT bidder felt the need the alert button is the way to go. As long as it wasn't a beginner event for beginners, or something clearly marked as social-fun thing, I would be willing to consider some sort of sanction against the offending side. But misclicks happen and the comment could have been meant for the opponents eyes only (especially in response to an inquiry). So, I would try to restore balance...remembering that this is an online game. If I thought it was meant to provide this info to parnter, however, I would certainly issue penalties (beginner event exception).

ben
--Ben--

#3 User is offline   luis 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2004-January-13, 08:45

What was the complete auction.
You must determine if 4NT in the given context could have had another meaning, if so you can adjust the score to the most favorable result to the non-offending pair (example 4NT down 2) or similar.
A procedural penalty is also a sure thing. In BBO tourneys I think that the best way to do a PP is to warn the player and suspend him from 1 tourney after 3 warnings or PPs. You must keep record of PPs in your torneys if you want to do ir but serious directors should do it.

4NT might have been:
a) To play if they were at the 4 level
:D Cuantitative over a NT bid
c) RKCB in some suit
The legend of the black octogon.

#4 User is offline   hallway 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Founder/Manager - Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO

Posted 2004-January-13, 17:31

As Ben points out there can be numerous explanations for any action that occurs at a table.

I think in the first instance the onus is on the TD to make full use of every character space available in the Tournamant description to lay down the Rules for that particular tournament. In a B/I event - table explanations are encouraged -our events are for practice - confirming that a 4nt bid is rkc0314 is just fine. It is getting the auction 'right' not the outcome that is important for us.

At the start of any Tournament, imo, the TD should allow time for some 'housekeeping'

I have now written myself a TD Checklist under the heading "T Start" I have listed

1. Add 5 minutes to first round for housekeeping
2. Welcome
3. Post Tournament Description (people just do not read the name and/or the description - aarrgh )
4. Post "If you accept the conditions of contest for this tournament play on and good bridging if NOT now is the time to exit in good order - I will be around shortly and anyone still at a table who does not meet the tournament criteria will be removed"
Allow I minute for that to sink in
5. Go to tournament lobby and scan profiles - remove any who have not budged.
6. Find subs as necessary.
7. Advertise for subs who meet the criteria required and invite them to list

ect. etc.

I would much rather give the same amount of my time to looking after 5 tables all happily playing doing their very best than to 50 tables full of unhappy bridgers. How large a tournament is has no value for me.
Maureen
Founder/Manager
Beginner Intermediate Lounge (BIL) on BBO
Join on BIL Bridge

#5 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-January-14, 06:46

I try to go a much as I can by
" THE LAW OF DUPLICATE CONTRACT BRIDGE 1997 "

LAW 16 - UNAUTHORISED INFORMATION

Players are authorised to base their calls and plays on information from legal calls and plays and from mannerisms of opponents. To base a call or play on other extraneous information may be an infraction of law.

A. Extraneous Information from Partner
After a player makes available to his partner extraneous information that may suggest a call or play, as by means of a remark, a question, a reply to a question, or by unmistakable hesitation, unwonted speed, special emphasis, tone, gesture, movement, mannerism or the like, the partner may not choose from among logical alternative actions one that could demonstrably have been suggested over another by the extraneous information.

1. When Such Information Is Given
When a player considers that an opponent has made such information available and that damage could well result, he may, unless the regulations of the sponsoring organisation prohibit, immediately announce that he reserves the right to summon the Director later (the opponents should summon the Director immediately if they dispute the fact that unauthorised information might have been conveyed).

2. When Illegal Alternative Is Chosen
When a player has substantial reason to believe that an opponent who had a logical alternative has chosen an action that could have been suggested by such information, he should summon the Director forthwith. The Director shall require the auction and play to continue, standing ready to assign an adjusted score if he considers that an infraction of law has resulted in damage.

It's easier if you go by a set of rules that most are somewhat familair with, since this is used by the WBF, EBL and ACBL.
And that covers most of BBO players I think.

Mike B)
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#6 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2004-January-14, 14:43

Any of the international rules on alerts might be considered irrelevant for BBO, because this is what the "RULES OF THIS SITE" has to say about alerts... (itemized).
  • BBO Staff will not make rules on alerts
  • Members should try their best to provide information useful to their opponents
  • Software allows "Self-alerts" which is opposite to live bridge
  • If you have any DOUBT if a bid should be alerted, alert it.

Clearly if BBO staff wanted WBL or ACBL or some other organizations alert rules to apply, they would have said so. Second, with self-alerts, no harm is done by using it, it follows the spirit of the second and fourth bullet from above.

Of course, the rules of the site go on to say that it inappropriate to use CHAT to explain your bids to your partner unless you ask your opponents first. That is clearly obvious.

Ben
--Ben--

#7 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2004-January-15, 09:35

inquiry, on Jan 14 2004, 03:43 PM, said:

Any of the international rules on alerts might be considered irrelevant for BBO, because this is what the "RULES OF THIS SITE" has to say about alerts... (itemized).
  • BBO Staff will not make rules on alerts

• Members should try their best to provide information useful to their opponents

• Software allows "Self-alerts" which is opposite to live bridge

• If you have any DOUBT if a bid should be alerted, alert it.
Clearly if BBO staff wanted WBL or ACBL or some other organizations alert rules to apply, they would have said so. Second, with self-alerts, no harm is done by using it, it follows the spirit of the second and fourth bullet from above.

Of course, the rules of the site go on to say that it inappropriate to use CHAT to explain your bids to your partner unless you ask your opponents first. That is clearly obvious.

Ben

Of course you can't use all the rules, because there is also not lead out of turn, dropped cards etc etc. But for the occasions were it is clear that something has happened I do use The laws of duplicate contract bridge 1997, and when I run tourneys I also put that in description, and I get much postive feedback about it. People like to see a tourney run with at least some rules. ;) People can run their tourneys any way they see fit and this is what I do B)

Mike :D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users