• You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

I'm bad at naming these things

#1 User is offline   jdonn 

• - - T98765432 AQT8
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2007-April-28, 11:20

Kxx KJx AKT9x Qx, lho deals at imps, you are w/r. You play 2/1 with no special agreements that will pertain to the current auction, except you know partner is a light opener.

p 1 p 1
1 1 p 2
p 2 p ?

If you don't agree with the bidding to now I don't mind saying what you would have done, but in any case now what, both for this bid and for a general plan.
Please let me know about any questions or interest or bug reports about GIB.

#2 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-28, 11:37

I'm fine with the bidding.

Do you have an agreement on 2? Does it promise 5, or is it a punt with a hand that can't take another call?

Anyway, I'll try 2N and see what that gets me. I'm probably heading toward 3N.
"Phil" on BBO

#3 User is offline   jchiu 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2007-April-28, 11:38

How fast did he bid 2 ? :P

#4 User is offline   awm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-28, 11:44

Bidding 2NT next seems easy. Surely this is forcing -- I could've bid 2NT at last round with an invite. The tough part is continuations after this. Is partner really 5+6? I'm not sure the 2 call guarantees that. Likely continuations after 2NT are 3, 3, 3NT. I think it's clear to pass 3NT -- in this case partner probably just has some hand with good spades and no heart stopper and was using 2 to punt (AQJx xx xx KJxxx). If partner bids 3 or 3 it's likely that he's really 5-6 (perhaps 3 is 5-6 with good clubs and 3 is 5-6 with good spades?). In either case I'll try cuebidding diamonds next.
Adam W. Meyerson
a.k.a. Appeal Without Merit

#5 User is offline   skjaeran 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, sports, Sci-fi, fantasy

Posted 2007-April-28, 12:17

I've forced to game and partner is 5-6 in the blacks. I'll bid 3 now and continue with 4 over 4 from partner. If partner can't go past 4, I'll sign off (or pass a 4 rebid).
Kind regards,
Harald

#6 User is offline   BillHiggin 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-28, 12:49

I will allow for partner to have been stuck (no true bid available), so I bid 2N now (cannot further risk wrong siding that strain).
You must know the rules well - so that you may break them wisely!

#7 User is offline   whereagles 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Everything!

Posted 2007-April-28, 13:22

Light openers are also light bidders :P I think pard is just showing shape with some lightish 55 or 65. I'm bidding 3NT.

#8 User is offline   drinbrasil 

• PipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-28, 13:25

2NT seems very decent. partner can have still 54. after 2nt he can end showing his hand. if he has 5-4, he dont have 3 diamods, so after 2nt with 4-2-2-5 or 4-3-1-5 he can bid 3NT. with 5-x-x-6 he can bid 3.
Occam's razor: "When you hear hoof beats, think horses, not unicorns."

#9 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-28, 14:22

1) 3s now. Yes I think partner is 6-5...not 5-4
2) prefer 3nt over opening bid of one club but can live with one D.
3) prefer 3nt after partner rebid 1spade also but ...

#10 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-28, 14:48

drinbrasil, on Apr 28 2007, 02:25 PM, said:

2NT seems very decent. partner can have still 54. after 2nt he can end showing his hand. if he has 5-4, he dont have 3 diamods, so after 2nt with 4-2-2-5 or 4-3-1-5 he can bid 3NT. with 5-x-x-6 he can bid 3.

I would have rebid 3H with those hand examples over 2H by partner...not 2s. Of course I would have made different bids with the responder hand also...so...:P

#11 User is offline   P_Marlowe 

Posted 2007-April-28, 15:21

3NT

I have made enough noise, in case we have as
slam, partner will make a move, espesially
if he is 6-5 ... and yes I am fine with the biddng,
altough I may have bid 3NT direct, a slight
underbid.

With kind regards
Marlowe
With kind regards
Uwe Gebhardt (P_Marlowe)

#12 User is offline   Halo 

• PipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-April-28, 17:42

3NT

Partner seems minimum. I will bid simply.

#13 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder

Posted 2007-April-28, 17:51

2NT. I will bid 3S if possible, and I will raise 3S.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#14 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-28, 18:04

Not sure why people think partner is minimum here but many do seem to think so.
I would have just rebid 2s even with 65 and 14 hcp. Perhaps that is not standard.

AQJxx...Q...Q...Kxxxxxx

#15 Guest_Jlall_*

• Group: Guests

Posted 2007-April-28, 18:09

I'm surprised how many people think 2S being a punt is standard. I would always think that 5-6 is the normal hand for this bidding without any discussion, though I think 2S being a punt is a good agreement. I agree with 2N if you think that's possible as pard will bid 3S with 5-6 now, but I don't really understand 3N. Is partner supposed to bid with 5-6?

#16 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2007-April-28, 19:08

:P 3. It sounds like partner is 5-6 (maybe 5-5) in the blacks. If only 5-5, I think he should have a good playing hand with decent intermediates in his long suits. Since a very possible 'magic' hand:

AQJxx
void
xx
AKJxxx

produces a lay down grand, it behooves me to at least leave bidding room for investigating slam. If partner bids 4 over my 3, should I continue with 5? I think so. What do you think?

#17 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-28, 19:12

jdeegan, on Apr 28 2007, 08:08 PM, said:

:P 3.  It sounds like partner is 5-6 (maybe 5-5) in the blacks.  If only 5-5, I think he should have a good playing hand with decent intermediates in his long suits. Since a very possible 'magic' hand:

AQJxx
void
xx
AKJxxx

produces a lay down grand, it behooves me to at least leave bidding room for investigating slam.  If partner bids 4 over my 3, should I continue with 5? I think so.  What do you think?

I would pass, if partner just bids 4s over 3s. He did not cue 4clubs for some reason.

#18 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-April-28, 20:27

What would opener bid with AQxx, xxx, xx, AKxx in this sequence? I'm not so high on any of this sequence because it tends to endplay partner in the bidding without much reason for doing so. Are we really struggling that hard to find diamond support opposite?

I am of the opinion that if partner has a slammish-type minimum, I have a good hand for him, but I think it better for me to describe to him than keep asking more information from him.

I am in favor of bidding your appropriate number of NT in round 1. I have found that when holding a NT hand it is most often the wisest course of action to place partner in the pilot's seat and let him decide how much hand he holds in light of the auction.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#19 User is offline   mike777 

Posted 2007-April-28, 20:36

Winstonm, on Apr 28 2007, 09:27 PM, said:

What would opener bid with AQxx, xxx, xx, AKxx in this sequence? I'm not so high on any of this sequence because it tends to endplay partner in the bidding without much reason for doing so. Are we really struggling that hard to find diamond support opposite?

I am of the opinion that if partner has a slammish-type minimum, I have a good hand for him, but I think it better for me to describe to him than keep asking more information from him.

I am in favor of bidding your appropriate number of NT in round 1. I have found that when holding a NT hand it is most often the wisest course of action to place partner in the pilot's seat and let him decide how much hand he holds in light of the auction.

I assumed partner would have an easy pass over rho bid of one heart with your example hand? If they play something else hopefully we will find out. :P
1) Pass would show a minimum hand with no heart stopper.
2) Deny 5+c with 4 spades, walsh, unbalanced.
3) deny 3D, no support x.

#20 User is offline   Winstonm 

• Interests:Art, music

Posted 2007-April-28, 21:28

I assumed partner would have an easy pass over rho bid of one heart with your example hand? If they play something else hopefully we will find out.

Generally not a good idea to use pass here for all weak hands but only for weaker hands with no convenvient bid. The Walsh structure is designed for non-competitive auctions and is no longer followed when the opponents bid. The 1S bid over 1H should not express any extra values, shape, or additional length. If you pass with AQxx, xxx, xx, AKxx the auction may procede p-1C-p-1D-1H-p-4H-X-p-?

Are you going to bid 4S when partner may hold KJ, x, AQxxxx, Jxxx? Will you pass for penalty when he might hold: Kxxx, x, AKJxx, xxx?

If opener had bid 1S over 1H, you can pass the double easily with the first and will play 4S opposite the second.

P.S. Using support double for diamonds is an extremely poor choice, IMO. A better choice is to show a 4-card heart suit in case the auction is p-1c-p-1D-1S-X as now if you pass even a simple preemptive jump to 3S can shut out hearts. If you use this method double here: p-1C-P-1D-1H-X can show 4 spades and bidding 1 spade can show 56.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

• 2 Pages +
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users