BBO Discussion Forums: Newfangled 21st Century Bidding - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Newfangled 21st Century Bidding What in the world was she thinking?

#1 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Economics
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2007-January-23, 20:18

Scoring: IMP

1NT-P-2-2
P-P-Dbl???

:P My partner doubled with the hand shown. Certainly, a 3 would have been correct since we do want to bid game with a min of 15 opposite 13 in HCP.

My question is what in the world was she thinking? Is there something going on out there that I don't know about that may have misled the poor dear? My impression has been that the 'modern' treatment is that a double in that position shows 'cards' with three pieces or better in spades, all based on the LOTT. Is this actually the case? Does anybody who can play play that double as reopening showing short spades? (Note the rare use of "play play" in the last sentence.)

#2 User is offline   glen 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Military history, WW II wargames

Posted 2007-January-23, 20:25

- this space for sale to the highest bidder - okay 7NT wins -
'I hit my peak at seven' Taylor Swift

#3 User is offline   Double ! 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:My personal interests are my family and my friends. I am extremely concerned about the lives and futures of the kids (and their families) that I work with. I care about the friends I have made on BBO. Also, I am extremely concerned about the environment/ ecology/ wildlife/ the little planet that we call Earth. How much more of the world's habitat and food supply for animals do we plan on destroying. How many more wetlands are we going to drain, fill, and build on? How many more sand dunes are we going to knock down in the interests of high-rise hotels or luxury homes?

Posted 2007-January-23, 22:27

IMO, there's more to this hand and question than initially obvious.

1) Partner had the opportunty to double the 2 spade bid (assuming that it would be for business) yet didn't do so.
2) IMO, a double after 2 passes probably should be business (we have to agree on a business double at some point in this forum).

(if a double by the 1NT opener has been agreed to be something other than an offer to defend, then that changes the picture.

3) There real issue, as I see it, is what bid should the given hand make after the two passes, what bid can you make that is now forcing?. A lot depends on what structure of responses to 1NT openings that the partnership is playing.

For example, if you are playing that a 2C response followed by 3m shows a weak 4-6 hand (popular at matchpoints with many people I knew when I used to play live - I now play dead), then you need a forcing bid here.

DHL
"That's my story, and I'm sticking to it!"

#4 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2007-January-23, 22:33

Well, I for one play it as takeout, which is what I think you mean rather than "reopening". Always have in all of my partnerships and probably always will. Partners prefer this treatment as well, so don't scoff too much!
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#5 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-24, 00:58

I think x here is much more confusing than you give it credit for. Assuming 2nt in this position is not natural:
1) what does 2nt show?
2) what does x show?

Hmm I assumed this was in the advanced section, in the beginner section I think this bid is really confusing to us. :P

#6 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-24, 09:31

I think many play the X in this position as showing cards with likely spade shortness. Others play it as penalty.

I'd be a little nervous making this bid undiscussed with this hand.
It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#7 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-January-24, 14:39

There is another thread in the General bridge discussion about what double of 2S should have meant by partner, and hence what double of 2S should mean by responder.

Yes, some people who can play play the double as take-out (although I don't). While this isn't standard - standard is definitely penalties - if you have been taught something is "correct" by a local teacher, or a regular partner, you may not know that what you have been taught is not the standard.

So personally I would have bid 3S which absolutely cannot be anything other than strong and forcing. But perhaps your partner thought "everyone" plays this as takeout, just like most people play, say, 1C P 1H (2S) P P x as take-out.

#8 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2007-January-24, 19:09

:) I'm getting the message that some people 'out there' might actually play a double in that position as representing a hand with spade shortness and some cards. What in heavens name is the theory behind this treatment? It looks like a simple case of bad bridge to me.

Consider. The stayman call indicates one of four type of hands:
1. Garbage stayman, assuming you play that. Just pass
2. A minor suit bailout, assuming you play that. Bid the six or seven bagger.
3. An invitational hand. Bid 2NT. Partner didn't double 2 which pretty much denies four spades. They evidently have a nine card fit. Pard knows you have four hearts.
4. A game going hand. Bid 3. Pard will know as stated above.

The double makes sense with an invitational hand with three or four spades - maybe with a doubleton honor. It's the only way you catch the opponents in a bad contract. Remember you are red vs white at IMPs. You should treat hands with zero through two spades as in the preceding paragraph.

#9 User is offline   mike777 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-24, 19:22

I hate having to bid 3s with all game forcing hands. Why not have 3 of a minor as natural and game forcing which means you got to do something else with invite or bailout minor suit hands.

#10 User is offline   jdeegan 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
    Finance
    Bridge bidding theory
    Cooking
    Downhill skiing

Posted 2007-January-24, 20:04

mike777, on Jan 24 2007, 08:22 PM, said:

I hate having to bid 3s with all game forcing hands.  Why not have 3 of a minor as natural and game forcing which means you got to do something else with invite or bailout minor suit hands.

:lol: Sure. Esp. if you don't play stayman as an approach bid to show a long minor suit hand - i.e. you use 2 for this purpose. Otherwise, it's just a matter of the relative frequency of each situation and how much it matters. Maybe, play 3 of minor weak at MP's and strong at IMPs?

Also, playing 2NT as an omnibus invitational bid seems OK to me. Pard knows you should have four hearts and zero through two spades. Worse case you will be 4-3 or 3-4 or 5-2 or 2-5 in the minors. This is a fairly well defined hand.

#11 User is offline   Apollo81 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-29, 15:32

Opener's double of 2 and responder's double of 2 are either both takeout or both penalty. If I was playing with a random partner without discussing I would assume both were penalty.

It's a reasonable takeout double if you've discussed it. If not, I think responder should have bid 3 or 3.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users