Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Safety Play? From a magazine

#1 User is offline   FrancesHinden 

• Limit bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Bridge, classical music, skiing... but I spend more time earning a living than doing any of those

Posted 2007-January-29, 04:53

"Mr Bridge" in the UK sends a marketing magazine to everyone vaguely interested in bridge whose name and address he can find from somewhere. It includes various bridge articles aimed at beginner and intermediate players. This month there is one by Freddie North on safety plays. The write-up suggests that this hand is a very easy example. When I looked at it, I thought it was not particularly easy, and the answer was not at all obvious. What do you think?

You are in 4 on an auction unspecified except that LHO overcalled 1. The article doesn't say, but it's probably right to assume that opponents are playing intermediate jump overcalls.

LHO leads the Q, and RHO follows with the 2, standard count.
How do you play the heart suit?

#2 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2007-January-29, 05:20

Spoiler

Edited... right you are gwnn!
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

#3 User is offline   gwnn 

• Csaba the Hutt
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:bye

Posted 2007-January-29, 06:19

I think you mistyped Brian - the second should be . Otherwise, I would have written the same :)
... and I can prove it with my usual, flawless logic.
      George Carlin

#4 User is offline   han 

• Under bidder
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2007-January-29, 07:56

It's Kxx(x) on the right versus K(x) on the left. The same number of holdings, and if we consider the suit in isolation the former would be more likely. But here we should assume that spades are 6-1 (only way the contract can go down) which probably makes the latter significantly more likely. So I vote for the finesse as the best chance to make the contract, and it also gives a better chance to make overtricks.
Please note: I am interested in boring, bog standard, 2/1.

- hrothgar

#5 User is offline   brianshark 

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members
  • Interests:Artificial Intelligence, Computer Games, Satire, Football, Rugby... and Bridge I suppose.

Posted 2007-January-29, 08:02

I just checked, assuming a 6-1 break, the finesse works on 72.188% of the layouts, and the safety play works on 57.43% of the layouts. But those odds take no account of points for the overcall.
The difference between theory and practice is that in theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, but in practice, there is.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users