Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Your bid ??

#1 User is offline   Kitta 

• PipPip
  • Group: Members

Posted 2003-December-25, 03:56

Noone vulnerable, the auction goes: 3 D - Dbl - 3 NT - ?What's your chice with J873, 9764, J4, 964 ? :D

Being "sure" of 3 NT being cold (7 D+1 or 2 Aces), I bid 4 D - could go home or good save(!) expecting Pd to bid his best Major! He didn't - went to 4 NT, 5 D from me (1430) & 7 H - dbl! Hands can follow if you so wish :)

#2 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-December-25, 06:09

Noone vulnerable, the auction goes: 3 D - Dbl - 3 NT - ?What's your chice with J873, 9764, J4, 964 ? :D

Being "sure" of 3 NT being cold (7 D+1 or 2 Aces), I bid 4 D - could go home or good save(!) expecting Pd to bid his best Major! He didn't - went to 4 NT, 5 D from me (1430) & 7 H - dbl! Hands can follow if you so wish :)

Just because opponents game is cold, it doesn't mean you have to sacrifice over it!

I wouldn't be surprised if 4MX went at least 3 or 4 off opposite partner's minimum take out double.

So I pass with this hand. If partner doubles again, then I might try 4D. However, if opps are not good players then even that is not clear. People have been known to bid 3NT opposite a pre-empt on completely unsuitable hands, so it may be that 3NT isn't making!

Also, a psyche of 3NT (on a hand with just diamond support) in this position is not that unusual. It may be best to reserve the immediate 4D cue-bid as a strong hand, because if you simply double 3NT with the strong hand and RHO rescues to 5D you are in a poor position to find the best contract.

Eric

#3 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Duvel, Whisky

Posted 2003-December-25, 08:00

I pass this hand. And if you really want to bid something, bid Dbl (3 card Club can be good opposite a 5 card of partner). But the problem is that you have absolutely NOTHING to bid, to play, to 'anything'. Why would you bid 4D - a cuebid - when you haven't passed already with almost half a trick and a balanced hand???

I just don't see the point. If p doubles, you can bid 4D, if he passes, you'll play 3NT and see where it gets you... Imo partner passed 3D because he had no double (too long in D), so he'll probably bid again if you pass.

Btw, nobody is vulnerable so 7 tricks in D seem a lot! I'd bid 3D on a 5 card in that situation, many bid 3D on a 6 card. I'd say in this vulnerability you have about 4-6 tricks in Diamonds, depending on RHO's holding. So this so-called "sure" 3NT isn't sure at all.

Free
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-December-25, 15:46

We have all used the cue-bid of the opponents minor at the four level for "bid your better major partner" after partner has made a takeout double. But here, there is something else going on. The something else is that the 3NT bidder may be a "kidder". That is not vul, he may have bid 3NT as a joke. If you fail to double, they play 3NT down a ton, or if you do double, they run to 4D's.

So when you bid 4D with this hand as "pick a major" partner, your partner will think you are exposing a psyche. The end result, is sadly what happened. From your hand they are surely have a great chance at 3NT, but before ypu bid, you have to take partner's problem into consideration.

At imps, just pass with this hand. Surely 4 of either major is going down (or partners hand is so good he will bid again). At matchpoints, if you feel like you just ahve to bid, close your eyes and guess, but even this isn't safe, as your partner may not be able to take a joke. I am afraid I have to join the passers on this hand over 3NT.

Ben
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   Kitta 

• PipPip

Posted 2003-December-25, 16:33

Yes, I bid 4 D too quickly! Should have passed - expecting a possible bid OR another double from partner (a BBO star!). Did not consider his side of the table. His power-house hand was: KQx, AKJ10xx, -, AKxx . Hence I'm still learning :D

#6 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2003-December-26, 01:26

So why did he NOT bid over 3D??? This hand is a clear Dbl imo, and if p bids 3S, bid 4H... There's a big chance his lho will pass with a pretty good hand without stops in a suit, and you expect p to bid in 4th hand? Dbl with his hand is better I think, you can play 4H all by yourself :D

Free
"It may be rude to leave to go to the bathroom, but it's downright stupid to sit there and piss yourself" - blackshoe

#7 User is offline   Kitta 

• PipPip

Posted 2003-December-26, 06:06

I think FREE you have missed that Rado as South doubled East's 3 D opening. Several thougths races through the brain & one aspect was that I had only one chance to ask partner to choose Major, hence my 4 D. I expected that 3 NT would again be doubled & that West might "take my bid" 4 D! The hands:
West: East:
A10 Jxxx
Qxx -
Axxx KQxxxxx
Q10xx Jx

Rado's: KQx, AK10xxx, - , AKxx
so 4 D are cold......... :) :D

#8 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Sailing, cooking, bonsaitrees.

Posted 2003-December-26, 16:27

Noone vulnerable, the auction goes: 3 D - Dbl - 3 NT - ?What's your chice with J873, 9764, J4, 964 ? :)

PASS, with all my heart. I have nothing, nothing at all.
My pd, it's so nice this is a pdship game, will X again with a good hand, or maybe even bid 4 D to show the majors with a decent hand. Keep it simple, don't try to confuse r pd with showing something y don't have.

Mike ;D
“If there is dissatisfaction with the status quo, good. If there is ferment,
so much the better. If there is restlessness, I am pleased. Then let there
be ideas, and hard thought, and hard work.”

#9 User is offline   Free 

• mmm Duvel

Posted 2003-December-26, 18:22

I think FREE you have missed that Rado as South doubled East's 3 D opening.

Woops

#10 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-26, 18:32

I think FREE you have missed that Rado as South doubled East's 3 D opening.

Woops

Hehehe, I wasn;t going to say it :)

Mike ;D

#11 User is offline   EarlPurple 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-December-31, 12:02

4D is cold, 3NT is going 1 off assuming that your partner would lead a top heart and switch to a top spade on seeing dummy. 4H your way is 1 off.
You can't keep a good man down

#12 User is offline   Trpltrbl 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-December-31, 15:45

I think FREE you have missed that Rado as South doubled East's 3 D opening. Several thougths races through the brain & one aspect was that I had only one chance to ask partner to choose Major, hence my 4 D. I expected that 3 NT would again be doubled & that West might "take my bid" 4 D! The hands:
West: East:
A10 Jxxx
Qxx -
Axxx KQxxxxx
Q10xx Jx

Rado's: KQx, AK10xxx, - , AKxx
so 4 D are cold......... B) B)

I think after I pass, my pd will bid 4 H with this hand. Normal I think, so it goes down most of the time, but who knows maybe they will bid 5D, or lead the Ace of SP B) But this is normal bidding, and not resulting B)

Mike ;D

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users