BBO Discussion Forums: What Really Happened to the WTC? - BBO Discussion Forums

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

What Really Happened to the WTC? Can this be true?

#41 User is offline   Winstonm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members
  • Interests:Art, music

Posted 2006-August-18, 18:56

Gerben42, on Aug 18 2006, 05:45 PM, said:

Did you know there was this much controversy and did you know a third building went down?"

In that order: No and yes. In Europe I have heard nothing of the crackpot controversy and yes, I knew a third building went down.

Seems odd to me that even bringing up the idea that others question the official story brings out so much animosity.

Well I'm sure it wouldn't if the alternative would not be so ridiculous. Who is paying people to come up with stuff like this? Chris Carter?

Any "open" questions about the buildings going down are not solved because no one cared to answer them carefully. The FEMA don't answer because they don't care enough, the conspiracy theorists don't answer since they like their own answer better.

I am sure if you employ me (or someone else for that matter) for the time I need to find out the scenario I can build you a nice simulation of the collapse including all the details you don't understand and in the conspiracy theory are explained by controlled collapse. But no one wants to spend that money.

Physics is terribly badly understood by most. Most Hollywood movies involving space or anything technological include errors that would make any physicist wince. And suddenly when the scenario is not likely but happened anyway we need crazy theories.

Be sceptical but just saying "ahh it's very unlikely that it's natural" and say "cannot be from natural causes" without bothering to look for explanations is not science.

I am not a scientist.
I am not that highly educated.
My I.Q. tests early in life were not of genius level.
I do not proclaim expertise.

So, from a perspective of a layman, let me explain the doubts that have arisen in me simply about the official version - what actually happened I don't know - maybe official is correct. But here is what I see from my view:

1) Watching the video of the first building, you see it give way at the top, above the most severely damaged areas. These uppermost floors twist and begin to topple sideways, not down. Before these upper floors crash into the lower floors (from what it looked like to me), the lower building began to fall. If the cause of the collapse was the weight of the upper part, it doesn't seem by the video to have occurred that way.

2) On the way down, puffs of smoke blow out sideways from areas many, many floors below the fall-line. If this is caused by pressure from the fall, why did it not occur on each succeeding floor?

3) Red/orange hot molten meltel is seen pouring down the sides of the building. I have seen pictures of molten aluminum. This does not look anything like those pictures. What metal was this and what caused it to melt and pour down the buildings side?

4) On WTC 7, puffs of smoke blew out sideways starting on the upper floors from lower to higher in progression, before the building collapsed. Very similar puffs from the same areas, transversing the same way can been seen in video of controlled implosions. What caused these puffs in WTC 7 before it actually started to fall?

5) Why did the news audio tape from that day state explosions were heard from the base of the towers before the collapse? What caused these explosions?

6) FEMA track record for accuracy. Enough said.

7) The true nature of a real conspiracy: it doesn't take Bush and Cheney in on the deal - all it would take is a comment from Bush like, "We need a way to unite this country." From there, all it requires is a kook type like Bob Haldeman who passes on the "get it done" order. This is passed along to the next man to the next until you reach the "action" level', a handful of operatives. The actual planning, staging, and design of the operation would be in the hands of a very few and no one up the chain would know anyting about it until after the fact.

If you don't think this could happen, you have already forgotten Watergate. There is no doubt that Nixon never "orchestrated" the break-in. Most likely he said something like, "We need a way to discredit so and so." A few took this too far.

So, from my perspective I see enough in the videos and hear enough in the audiotapes to make me doubt; I also know from living though Watergate that all it really takes is one person in a position of power and a few who believe the means justifies the ends and are willing to do whatever is necessary to accomplish that goal. You just don't use third rate burglars - you use experts - a lesson learned from Nixon.

Far-fetched? Absolutely.
Impossible? I don't think so.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#42 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-18, 19:05

Winstonm, on Aug 18 2006, 05:15 PM, said:

[And you are right in that I probably did mix up the difference in the pools of metal found and a picture of a solidified piece - which is why I only touched on some of the ideas and suggested to anyone interested to simply research it himself.

Seems odd to me that even bringing up the idea that others question the official story brings out so much animosity.

Here is something you might want to look at, just to see what all the hullabaloo is about. It is a video of WTC 7 going down - there are obvious puffs of smokelike material coming from the sides before the building collapsed - and before you tell me this was from the floors interiors collapsing, watch the video. These puffs went up the building, not down. http://st12.startlogic.com/~xenonpup/Flash...west_corner.htm

There is also this interesting comparison video: http://www.911podcasts.com/files/video/Ita...teshow-WTC7.wmv

OK, I apologize, I figured your lack of response to the previous post combined with...anyhow, I'm sorry.

Ive been racking my brain on what the unidentified metal pools would be, especially since most melted things would be splattered into tiny droplets from the fall...I think it's saulder. Your average mainframe has enough saulder to melt into a blob the size of your fist, probably other things in there would have even more. It's designed to melt at a very low temperature, and it has a great affinity for itself...small amounts of it would tend to blob into good sized pools.

As far as the picture, that's dust. Take a vacuum cleaner bag, put it in a vertical pipe with holes along the sides. Now drop a rock into the pipe so that it hits the bag. You'll see dust come out of the holes, starting from the height of the top of the bag and going up very quickly. If the interior of the building collapsed, but the outside was fine (for the moment), you'd get the same effect: everything would fall to the bottom, and dust would come flying out from momentum, starting at the bottom, and going towards the top.

It certainly does look like demolitions, which do pretty much the same thing (they knock out the supports in the bottom, interior collapses quickly, exterior then falls inward slowly). But you don't get that effect from putting explosives at the top. If you were tying to blow up a building, why would you put the explosives on the top anyways?

#43 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-August-18, 19:42

jtfanclub, on Aug 18 2006, 08:05 PM, said:

Winstonm, on Aug 18 2006, 05:15 PM, said:

[And you are right in that I probably did mix up the difference in the pools of metal found and a picture of a solidified piece - which is why I only touched on some of the ideas and suggested to anyone interested to simply research it himself.

Here is something you might want to look at, just to see what all the hullabaloo is about.  It is a video of WTC 7 going down - there are obvious puffs of smokelike material coming from the sides before the building collapsed - and before you tell me this was from the floors interiors collapsing, watch the video.  These puffs went up the building, not down.  http://st12.startlogic.com/~xenonpup/Flash...west_corner.htm

There is also this interesting comparison video:  http://www.911podcasts.com/files/video/Ita...teshow-WTC7.wmv

OK, I apologize, I figured your lack of response to the previous post combined with...anyhow, I'm sorry.

Ive been racking my brain on what the unidentified metal pools would be, especially since most melted things would be splattered into tiny droplets from the fall...I think it's saulder. Your average mainframe has enough saulder to melt into a blob the size of your fist, probably other things in there would have even more. It's designed to melt at a very low temperature, and it has a great affinity for itself...small amounts of it would tend to blob into good sized pools.

As far as the picture, that's dust. Take a vacuum cleaner bag, put it in a vertical pipe with holes along the sides. Now drop a rock into the pipe so that it hits the bag. You'll see dust come out of the holes, starting from the height of the top of the bag and going up very quickly. If the interior of the building collapsed, but the outside was fine (for the moment), you'd get the same effect: everything would fall to the bottom, and dust would come flying out from momentum, starting at the bottom, and going towards the top.

It certainly does look like demolitions, which do pretty much the same thing (they knock out the supports in the bottom, interior collapses quickly, exterior then falls inward slowly). But you don't get that effect from putting explosives at the top. If you were tying to blow up a building, why would you put the explosives on the top anyways?

I don't know why explosives would be at the top.

No need to apologize, but thank anyway.

I think my biggest problem comes from my past: I was 12 when Jack Kennedy was killed. I was 18-22 range during Watergate, we didn't bomb Cambodia, and the Kent State massacre.

Suffice it to say I do not trust the government to act in my best interest or to tell the truth.

Now I want to know what happened.

I have one question now for you? Have you gone through any of the sites related to this and read an opposing version? If not, why not read through this site: www.physics.byu.edu/research/energy/htm7.html. It is posted by a BYU professor who knows more about metals/heat than I ever will. It doesn't take that long to read if you don't stop to watch the vidoes.
"Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere." Black Lives Matter. / "I need ammunition, not a ride." Zelensky

#44 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-19, 06:07

I can't believe I've actually hit the pageback button twice on this damn keyboard. Lost the response twice 2/3 of the way through.

Quickly, then.

1. How was it hot weeks after the event? Certainly not from thermite, which would have burned out long before the buildings collapsed. It's designed to burn fast- that's one of the reasons they use it. A more likely cause is that the plane itself landed in a pile of burning iron. Burning iron becomes rust, rust and aluminum with a flash source (more burning iron) becomes thermite. And that plane would have taken a long time to burn.

How did molten iron appear on the outside of the building? Again, not from thermite. The columns were burned through, not the exterior. How would the thermite on the interior make molten iron on the exterior? On the other hand, the window frames were aluminum and lead, the glass silicon dioxide, the supports holding in the windows steel (and likely not directly attached to the big supports holding up the building). That's probably what was seen.

2. How did the steel get so hot? From the chimney effect, air being sucked upward through ventilation ducts. It's not hard to get the metal hot enough to burn from that. Anything that got hot enough to melt was from minor secondary fires, such as the aluminimum window frames burning.

Where did the sulfur come from? A ton of thermate at 2% sulfur has 40 pounds of sulfur. On the other hand, 10,000 gallons of JetA fuel, which is .3% sulfur, would have 210 pounds of sulfur. Any sulfur from the thermite would have ben dwarfed by the sulfur in the jet fuel (and other sources- the floor panels may have been gypsum, for example). He later points out that Building #7 had lots of diesel fuel in it, which explains the sulfur in there.

3. Who cares? It was a CIA building. Even if you found that #7 had been blown up, all that would show was that they had the building rigged to blow incase the enemy (Congress) came sniffing around. #7 collapsed because the impact of the taller buildings shook it apart. Why one building would collapse but not another isn't a question you can really answer, any more than why in an earthquake some buildings will collapse while other identical ones remain up.

4. No previous skyscraper collapses due to fires. Apparently, he believes in Xeno's Paradox- since no other skyscapers had fallen, therefore no skyscrapers can ever fall. Only one had had a jetliner crash into it prior to this, and it's a much more solidly constructed building. He later points out that explosives weren't enough to take down the building. Um, yeah. Don't you think that's an argument AGAINST explosives being used to take down the building?

Partly evaporated steel structures aren't explained by fire...but they are explained by friction, as somebody noted earlier. That only the ends of the girders were 'evaporated' while the center was pretty much untouched supports this idea.

5. 'Squib timing'. I wish this guy could make up his mind. Squib-timing implies that the building was blown up from the bottom up. Earlier, he claimed it was blown up in the middle, and then later he says it blew up from the top down. The very fact that he has to use mutually exclusive explanations for this stuff shows that his idea is faulty. Doesn't mean that all ideas are faulty, just his. Anyhow, this is the vaccuum cleaner bag thing I mentioned earlier.

6. Early drop of the antenna. Again, thermite doesn't explain this. If the columns had to all burn through simultaneously for this to happen, and they burned through at the middle or the bottom, the antenna wouldn't have fallen first. If it happened at the top, all of the columns burning through simultaneously, it would have sloughed off in some direction and fallen like a giant bottlecap.

So how about this? The antenna wasn't help up by all the columns, just the center one. The center one burned through first, both because it was at the center of the fire and it had more weight on it than the others. When it went down, the antenna fell. It also fits with a lot of the later things he mentions.

7. What you think of as the sound of explosions are just the rapid expansion of air after compression. You think there was any compression going on when the interior collapsed? As for the flashes, that was no doubt dust burning, either from friction or from coming in contact with electricity. Yes, Professor, "electrical explosions" wouldn't take down the building. These were at the lower floors, and dust explosions are more of a special effect than anything dangerous. Who ever said they were otherwise?

8. That same rapid expansion would blow dust and even girders out the windows, much faster than gravity would have any effect on the way down (the vaccuum cleaner bag trick). This is the same effect that you see in demolitions. It is *not* what you would see from explosives placed on every floor!

9. Does this guy even know what thermite is? It isn't an explosive. It doesn't create "shock and awe". And it sure as heck doesn't disintegrate concrete. In fact, no explosive explains what happened to the concrete. For that matter, this was over an hour after the initial fires...must have been the longest burning thermite in history. And what did they do, paint it on the walls? No we have thermite on the interior columns, the exterior steel, AND the concrete walls. Maybe they built the building out of thermite.

But how about this? The heat cause the concrete to break apart, becoming very fragile. When the columns snapped, they took the exterior steel supports with them around where they snapped. Without the support, the pressure caused the concrete to disintegrate. No explosives involved.

What happened to the angular momentum? No amount of explosives explains that one either- what, now they had explosives on the outside of the building to propel it in the right direction? How about, instead, the top of the building was still attached to most of the broken support columns, When it fell, if it angled too much the columns would bounce off the inside part of the exterior wall, thereby righting it. What other explanation can there be?

10. Gee, now we're to explosives in the basement. So now it was caused by a collapse from explosives at the floor where the plane it, a few floors below, at the top, on the first two floor, and the basement. All of which happened first.

Now he points out that only the greatest demolition experts would attempt to do an implosiion like this. Great, and yet his theory is that all of these demolition experts were somehow able to set up all of these explosives without anybody noticing or blabbing and able to factor in a crashing plane into account, and somehow all of these critical points weren't visible to the thousands of people inside. Again, his argument against the plane being the cause is actually a greater argument against explosives. So, no steel frame skyscraper has ever been hit by a plane, let alone collapsed from fire. So who's to say they wouldn't all act like this? We know doing it with explosives is almost impossible, you've shown that. We don't know if it's impossible or easy to do with fire. And this is supposed to convince me they used explosives?

11. This is just a repeat of the earlier stuff. "Of the more than 170 areas examined on 16 perimeter column panels, only three columns had evidence that the steel reached temperatures above 250ºC… Only two core column specimens had sufficient paint remaining to make such an analysis, and their temperatures did not reach 250 ºC. ... Using metallographic analysis, NIST determined that there was no evidence that any of the samples had reached temperatures above 600 ºC. (NIST, 2005, pp. 176-177; emphasis added."

So...the thermite melted the steel on the outside of the building, but never got above 600 degrees on the inside?

12. NIST contracted with Underwriters Laboratories, Inc. to conduct tests to obtain information on the fire endurance of trusses like those in the WTC towers… All four test specimens sustained the maximum design load for approximately 2 hours without collapsing.” (NIST, 2005, p. 140, emphasis added.)

Apparently, he thinks that that they lasted for 56 minutes and 1 hour and change instead of lasting for 'about two hours' means that there must have been explosives planted all over etc. Instead of it being, say, that substandard materials were used in the manufacture (God knows that would never happen in New England) or that in the years that it's been up that the structure had weakened. He's spent the first 10 points saying that it wouldn't have collapsed, now he says it collapsed quicker than it should have. So which is it?

The only conspiracy I see here is that the building probably wasn't built to spec. It was likely built with poorly made high-carbon steel that caught fire easily and was brittle and snapped faster than it should have. Probably didn't have the level of fireproofing it was supposed to either. The NIST could very well be hiding the information (point 13) to prevent huge lawsuits against the construction firms, who have good reason to keep the data hidden.

Now, that's the sort of conspiracy I find easy to believe. Doesn't take many people, no pre-planning required, nothing complex, no hard-to-find materials like thermite, don't need to be experts, and even ordinary people could be convinced to keep quiet on it without horse's heads showing up in their beds.

Claiming the WTC collapses were a CIA conspiracy is like saying global warming is a CIA conspiracy. It's just too big and complicated for a government that's inherently slow, lazy, and leaks like a sieve.

#45 User is offline   EricK 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-19, 15:56

DrTodd13, on Aug 18 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

By the way, why would he have said "pull IT" if he were talking about firefighters. Why wouldn't he have said "pull them."

One plausible explanation: because he was referring to a team of firefighters (What should I do with my team? Pull it)

Another plausible explanation: He said the wrong word in the middle of a crisis.

What plausible explanation is there for the Conspiracy Theory? eg Who was he telling to "pull it"? Why would he need to tell anyone to "pull it" if it was already planned?

#46 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:25

EricK, on Aug 19 2006, 01:56 PM, said:

DrTodd13, on Aug 18 2006, 09:32 PM, said:

By the way, why would he have said "pull IT" if he were talking about firefighters.  Why wouldn't he have said "pull them."

One plausible explanation: because he was referring to a team of firefighters (What should I do with my team? Pull it)

Another plausible explanation: He said the wrong word in the middle of a crisis.

What plausible explanation is there for the Conspiracy Theory? eg Who was he telling to "pull it"? Why would he need to tell anyone to "pull it" if it was already planned?

There are many plausible explanations so we are trying to look at all the facts to figure out which one is more likely to be true. Even if it were planned, somebody still has to give the go ahead to push the button. If it was a conspiracy then he certainly wouldn't admit to it on television. This was not an impromptu remark "in the middle of a crisis" that was caught on camera. It was sometime after the fact and he was reflecting on what had happened and the decisions he made that day and the pull it comment was a remark about a decision he had made that day. I think the quote was something like "so I made the decision to pull it." This sounds like he is saying they chose a controlled demolition of the building rather than risking a spontaneous collapse.

What I find interesting is that WTC 7 is the only steel-framed modern skyscraper in the history of world to have been allegedly collapsed by fire alone. You'd think many an investigation would be done by structural engineers as to how to prevent such a thing in the future but as far as I'm aware, there has been no official investigation into the cause of the WTC 7 collapse and the only informal investigation that was done found that fire was the cause but stated something to the effect that fire causing the collapse was a very improbable scenario. I've seen at least two pictures of steel framed buildings that have been gutten by fire and all that was left was the steel frame. Without the jet fuel in WTC 7, how could the fire have gotten hot enough to behave so differently from other high-rise steel-framed structure fires?

#47 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:43

The only conspiracy I see here is that the building probably wasn't built to spec. It was likely built with poorly made high-carbon steel that caught fire easily and was brittle and snapped faster than it should have. Probably didn't have the level of fireproofing it was supposed to either. The NIST could very well be hiding the information (point 13) to prevent huge lawsuits against the construction firms, who have good reason to keep the data hidden.

Now, that's the sort of conspiracy I find easy to believe. Doesn't take many people, no pre-planning required, nothing complex, no hard-to-find materials like thermite, don't need to be experts, and even ordinary people could be convinced to keep quiet on it without horse's heads showing up in their beds.

This makes some sense - and it might also explain why most of the steel was quickly hauled off to China for recycling.

#48 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:45

DrTodd13, on Aug 19 2006, 06:25 PM, said:

Without the jet fuel in WTC 7, how could the fire have gotten hot enough to behave so differently from other high-rise steel-framed structure fires?

Because it had a great deal of diesel fuel in the basement, supposedly. It may have very well had other chemicals as well, possibly including thermite.

I still think it was ground shock that did most of the damage there, combined with the fire. They shared a foundation, so it would have been a hell of a shock. Combine that with the diesel burning, and....

#49 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:48

IMO, the people who believe in conspiracy theories need to believe in them.

You will never convince them - there's always some hole in the obvious explanation. It doesn't matter if the theory is the Kennedy assasination, WTC, chlorination as a commie plot, UFOs, the plotting of the United Nations to take over the U.S., etc.

Logic and evidence isn't the point, I guess.

Peter

#50 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:51

mike777, on Aug 18 2006, 07:41 PM, said:

I was a very young Hippie(sort of) at that Chicago convention, you do not quite tell the full story. :rolleyes: but yes it was a police riot but not totally unprovoked at times.

It was silly to have a secret war in Cambodia rather than just tell the full truth with no apology as Regan often would. I guess it was in the nature of Nixon to act that way in many things.

I noticed you left out Kent State.

#51 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:53

DrTodd13, on Aug 20 2006, 02:25 AM, said:

There are many plausible explanations so we are trying to look at all the facts to figure out which one is more likely to be true. Even if it were planned, somebody still has to give the go ahead to push the button. If it was a conspiracy then he certainly wouldn't admit to it on television. This was not an impromptu remark "in the middle of a crisis" that was caught on camera. It was sometime after the fact and he was reflecting on what had happened and the decisions he made that day and the pull it comment was a remark about a decision he had made that day. I think the quote was something like "so I made the decision to pull it." This sounds like he is saying they chose a controlled demolition of the building rather than risking a spontaneous collapse.

What I find interesting is that WTC 7 is the only steel-framed modern skyscraper in the history of world to have been allegedly collapsed by fire alone. You'd think many an investigation would be done by structural engineers as to how to prevent such a thing in the future but as far as I'm aware, there has been no official investigation into the cause of the WTC 7 collapse and the only informal investigation that was done found that fire was the cause but stated something to the effect that fire causing the collapse was a very improbable scenario. I've seen at least two pictures of steel framed buildings that have been gutten by fire and all that was left was the steel frame. Without the jet fuel in WTC 7, how could the fire have gotten hot enough to behave so differently from other high-rise steel-framed structure fires?

Here's what wikipedia has to say about this...

Within the PBS documentary America Rebuilds, aired in September 2002, Larry Silverstein, the owner of Building Seven and leaseholder and insurance policy holder for the remainder of the WTC Complex, recalled the collapse of WTC7:

I remember getting a call from the Fire Department commander, telling me they were not sure they were gonna be able to contain the fire, and I said, 'You know, we've had such terrible loss of life, maybe the smartest thing to do is just pull it.' And they made that decision to pull and then we watched the building collapse. [84]

Some critics of the official theory have said that the term "pull" is industry jargon for planned demolition and that Silverstein's remark exposes his assent to demolishing the building. [85]

Silverstein's spokesperson, Mr. Dara McQuillan, later explained:

In the afternoon of September 11, Mr. Silverstein spoke to the Fire Department Commander on site at Seven World Trade Center. The Commander told Mr. Silverstein that there were several firefighters in the building working to contain the fires. Mr. Silverstein expressed his view that the most important thing was to protect the safety of those firefighters, including, if necessary, to have them withdraw from the building.

McQuillan said that by "it" Silverstein meant the contingent of firefighters remaining in the building.[86] The firefighters themselves describe how they were pulled out of the building[87].

Researcher Jim Hoffman disputes the assertion that "pull" is industry jargon. A Google search, he says, fails to uphold the assertion. For this and other reasons, he says, the case built from Mr. Silverstein's statement is "extremely weak." He concludes: "While failing to provide substantial evidence for the controlled demolition of WTC 7, the story has functioned to eclipse the overwhelming case for demolition based on the physical characteristics of the collapse. . ." [88]

Controlled demolition experts at ImplosionWorld.com deny this, saying that they have never heard the term used to refer to the demolition of a building. They also argue against the theory that controlled demolition was used to bring down 7 World Trade Center.[27]
Alderaan delenda est

#52 User is offline   hrothgar 

• Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2006-August-19, 17:56

Here is a link to the implosionworld report cited in my last post

http://www.implosionworld.com/WTC%20COLLAP...rd%208-8-06.pdf

They seem skeptical about the points you raise (to say the least)

Where this gets frustrating is that you and the authors of the report are disagreeing about basic facts. You say red, they say blue. You say up, they say down.

Case in point: You assert "What I find interesting is that WTC 7 is the only steel-framed modern skyscraper in the history of world to have been allegedly collapsed by fire alone."

The report states

1. Many steel structures have collapsed from fire
2. Thousands of tons of steel girders impact WTC #7 (in other words, the building didn't collapse from fire alone)

Indeed, the report that I cite seems specifically structured to refute many of the points that you bring up. It almost looks like your quest for heterodoxy is simply quoting the conventional wisdom amongst conspiracy theorists...

In any case, I have no way of knowing which of the competing sets of facts is "true".
Accordingly, its not a particularly interesting discussion
Alderaan delenda est

#53 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-August-19, 18:00

The original question was what happened to the WTC ?

If the WTC towers were built as proclaimed, it seems remote that the official version is accurate. But if they were not built to specs, who ok'd it, who profited, and was there a cover-up after the fact?

#54 User is offline   hotShot 

• Axxx Axx Axx Axx
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-20, 02:06

A Boing 767 fully loaded has a weigth of 180 tons, it is about 150 ft long and wide and about 50 ft high. If can be faster than 500 mph. To calculate impact energy you need to take the square of the speed and multiply it with the mass. The result is huge. I don't think the floors were designed to put 150 ton objects on it. So they were stressed to the limit.
The mechanical damage to the structure must have been enourmous.
The plane must have destroyed 3-4 floors, and when the stucture weakened the mass of the upper part of the building started moving downwards. Now asume that 20% of the buildings mass were above the impact, it means that a 100000 tons hammer droped about 50 ft hit the structure of the underlying floor. When you look at the collaps you will see, that whenever this hammers hits, the floors that are hit collapse. This goes sort of top down.
Feb. 1993 they blew 700kg of TNT in garage, and that didn't damage the building seriously. To damage a building like that you need much more, or you have to drill holes and put it inside. And this won't go unnoticed.
And notice the other WTC buildings that did not collapse, were damaged so much, that they had to take them down.

Seems to me that people have a problem of understanding what enourmous powers elementary natural forces like fire, strom, eathquakes etc. can have.

#55 User is offline   jtfanclub 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-20, 11:53

Winstonm, on Aug 19 2006, 07:00 PM, said:

The original question was what happened to the WTC ?

If the WTC towers were built as proclaimed, it seems remote that the official version is accurate. But if they were not built to specs, who ok'd it, who profited, and was there a cover-up after the fact?

Well, the article Hrothgar pointed out makes it clear that what happened does not support an explosion. You can make whatever you can out of my points as well, but there's just no way that explosives can explain the stuff that Jones & Company are claiming. You can figure that out just from the inherent contraditions in his report, without any outside information at all, which is what I was trying to point out.

So you can believe that it was to spec and the forces were stronger than we thought, or that that it wasn't built to spec, or that aliens did it, but explosives and thermite simply don't explain it. It simply isn't possible.

Anyhow, as far as who OK'd it and who profited, it was built in New York, back when the construction firms there were all owned by the Mafia (allegedly). I would find it shocking if it *was* built up to spec.

And speaking of spec, I'm not going to speculate on whether there was a coverup.

#56 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-20, 12:06

jtfanclub, on Aug 19 2006, 03:45 PM, said:

DrTodd13, on Aug 19 2006, 06:25 PM, said:

Without the jet fuel in WTC 7, how could the fire have gotten hot enough to behave so differently from other high-rise steel-framed structure fires?

Because it had a great deal of diesel fuel in the basement, supposedly. It may have very well had other chemicals as well, possibly including thermite.

I still think it was ground shock that did most of the damage there, combined with the fire. They shared a foundation, so it would have been a hell of a shock. Combine that with the diesel burning, and....

I think this is ignoring the evidence. Seismic records show a maximum of a 2.3. This is not even close to large enough to do any structural damage.

#57 User is offline   DrTodd13 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-August-20, 12:47

I like that implosion company report Hrothgar. Thanks for posting it. Like I said before, the theory that the buildings were primed for destruction with explosives is shot down since to believe that stretches imagination. The report is actually agnostic on a couple of points discussed here for which they admit they have insufficient evidence. They also contradict a point stated here that Silverstein gave the order to remove the firefighters. They say that he would not have had such an authority. So, the comment is still a bit anamolous but not a reason to be convinced of a conspirary. Also, the report doesn't discuss the building between WTC 1/2 and WTC 7. It must have also been hit by a similar amount of material. Was a fire not started there and that is why that building didn't collapse? That is something I'd like to know that they didn't address.

Anyway, I'm not set on heterodoxy or orthodoxy. Frankly, the truth of this matter doesn't matter all that much to me because I already hate the government and radical Islam. It is more of a matter of curiosity and so I have the luxury of not having to have a definitive position and looking at both sides.

Thanks again for the link.

#58 User is offline   Winstonm 

Posted 2006-September-21, 19:18

1) The government's conspiracy theory:

Directed by a militant hiding in a cave in Afghanistan, 19 young men armed with box cutters hijacked 4 airliners after having only recently learned to fly and somehow were able to both fly, turn, and navigate 2 of these planes without opposition from fighter planes and crash them into each tower of the world trade center, and that the subsequent fire weakened the steel 50% causing a collapse of the floors which then pancaked down causing the complete destruction of both towers as well as a separate building, WTC 7.

2) An alternate theory:

Planned implosions brought down each building, including thermate charges to vertically cut the 47 columns of interior support, insuring total collapse.

Which theory best explains the following:

1) The steel central core collapsed along with each structure.
2) Countless witnesses, including firemen and reporters, heard explosions preceding the collapse and during the collapse, the predecing blasts from the basement that rocked the ground.
3) Audio captures a muffled boom prior to the start of the first collapse.
4) Molten steel was found in the basement after the collapse.
5) The fires could not have burned hot enough to melt steel.
6) Pictures of some of the remaining central core steel showed angular breaks or cuts.
7) All 3 buidlings fell at free-fall speed with no resistance from the floors below.

Which theory best explains these coincidences:

1) In the days before the attack, there was a huge surge in put-options on the stocks of American Airlines and United Airlines (some gone unclaimed.)
2) Larry Silverstein had recently acquired a 99-year lease on the WTC and had insured them for among other things "terrorist attacks." He later won a court case in which he claimed two attacks so his award was doubled.
3) The company that provided security for WTC was run by the brother of George Bush.
4) Shaped charges are used in controlled demolitions to create angular cuts in the support columns.
5) The PNAC had suggested that what was needed to galvanize the American public to their ideologies was "a new Pearl Harbor".
6) Controlled demolitions result in collapse at near free-fall speed.
7) FEMA had arrived in New York City the day before the collapses.

Which theory answers the question: who profited?

1) Afghanistan and Boeing, etc..
2) Iraq and Haliburton
3) The Patriot Act.
4) The Department of Homeland Security
5) Larry Silverstein and over $1 billion in insurance money.
6) The purchasers of all those put-options on American and United Airlines.
7) PNAC and a "new Pearl Harbor."

"When you eliminate the impossible, whatever remains, no matter how improbable, must be the truth." - Sir Arthur Conan Doyle

#59 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-September-21, 19:40

Winston, why did the planes fly into the buildings?

Peter

#60 User is offline   bid_em_up 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-September-21, 20:19

pbleighton, on Sep 21 2006, 08:40 PM, said:

Winston, why did the planes fly into the buildings?

Peter

Or rather, next he will be claiming that no planes actually flew into the buildings.

Oh, I know....the "conspiracy" just created those images in our minds. No planes ever actually flew into them at all, right? Geez.
Is the word "pass" not in your vocabulary?
So many experts, not enough X cards.

• 6 Pages +
  • Last »
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users