Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

ASPRO convention

#1 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-November-25, 19:14

Anybody who will be able to help providing a correct and understandable explanation of ASPRO convention.

My normal source for conventions are ACBL Encyclopedia but that explanation(page 16) I dont understand.

As ASPRO is used in Moscito, and it is for that I need it, I hope at least some of the Moscito players will be able to help.

#2 User is offline   the hog 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Wagner and Bridge

Posted 2003-November-25, 19:25

Hi Claus,

Aspro is a means of competing over a 1NT opening:

X = penalties
2C = H + another
2D = S and a minor
2H/S = natural

It is not part of Moscito. Defence to NT openings is based on personal preference and is not part of any bidding system.
"The King of Hearts a broadsword bears, the Queen of Hearts a rose." W. H. Auden.

#3 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-November-25, 19:35

Hi Claus

As far as I know, there is no explict linkage between MOSCITO and Aspro.
Aspro is a well know defensive structure over the opponents NT openings that uses:

2C as a two suited hand with Hearts
2D as a two suited hand with Spades

However, players have the option to use what ever structure they prefer. For example, I prefer to play "Lionel". With this said and done, I believe that Paul is currently playing an Aspro variant.

It is possible that you are confusing Paul Martson's "SOAP" structure with Aspro. Marston uses SOAP in a variety of settings ranging as a defense to certain preempts to a rebid structure after the auction

1C - (P) - 1H

SOAP is based on

2C= 4 Hearts and a longer minor
2D = 4 Spades and a long minor
2H = Hearts
2S = Spades

This structure is much more integral to MOSCITO as a system
Alderaan delenda est

#4 User is offline   csdenmark 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-November-26, 06:10

Thank you Ron and Richard!

I am not in a position to be able to say whether ASPRO is a part of Moscito or not. I am looking into this file I have received from Ron and which I assume is the correct version. I have uploaded to Yahoo so the file is visible to all.

Here ASPRO is an integral part after pass-opening(Pass-1C-1D-1H) and after 1H opening too.

http://www.geocities.com/csdenmark/Marston...ngPass-full.htm

Let me ask another question. Have I understood right that 7-8-9PT means winners so that 7PT = 6 loosers ??

#5 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-November-26, 09:05

Hi Claus

My interest in MOSCITO dates well after Marston shifted to a strong club opening structure. I've never extensively studied the strong club variants that he employed. [I wasn't even aware that he used the expression MOSCITO to refer to the Strong Pass systems. My understanding was that this was exclusive to the Strong Club structure. With this said and done, the notes that you are presenting on your site don't match my recollection of his system. I very specifically recall that Marston played a variable FERT [1H V, 2C Vulnerable!!!]

Also, for whatever reason, the suit systems that you use in you bridge files don't resolve properly in my browser. [I ran into the same problem and switched to embedding GIF files. You can find the GIFs on my home page]
Alderaan delenda est

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users