Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Variability And GCC

#1 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2003-April-14, 00:27

1)In another thread, posters referred to variable NT, where the range depended on seat and/or vulnerability.
Would all/most tournament directors see this as GCC legal? To extend this question (perhaps past the point of practicality), what about:
2)Using 2D as weak in 1st seat NV, 3rd seat all vuls, and as Flannery in other seats/vulnerabilities?
3)Playing Moscito in 1st seat NV, 3rd seat all vuls, and playing Precision in other seats/vulnerabilities?

#2 User is offline   hrothgar 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Travel
    Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-April-14, 00:55

The ACBL allows considerable lattitude for players to change methods based on seat and vulnerability.

I regularly play MOSCITO in first and second seat and Blue Club in third and fourth.

I argue that anyone playing Drury is playing a different system  in 1st/2nd than 3rd/4th.

In principle, players could play 16 different systems during a single tournament based on a maxtrix regarding what seat is opening and the relative vulnerabilities.  It might even be optimal, however, my memory isn't up to this task.
Alderaan delenda est

#3 User is offline   Codo 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:games and sports, esp. bridge,chess and (beach-)volleyball

Posted 2003-April-14, 01:42

Hi,

I don´t have to play under ACBL rules.  :)
But here in Germany and with my standard pd on BBO, we play var. NT and var. 2 Heart opening depending on seat and vul.
1 NT= 11-13 in white 1.-3. seat, 14-16 else
2 Heart = 4+/4+ majors 5-9 HCPS 1-3. seat, flannery 4. seat.

And this is perfect legal here. Who cares about the ACBL?  :) (Besides 250 Million americans?)

Kind Regards

Roland
Kind Regards

Roland

Sanity Check: Failure (Fluffy)
More system is not the answer...

#4 User is offline   inquiry 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Admin
  • Interests:Bridge, what else?

Posted 2003-April-14, 08:50

And this is perfect legal here. Who cares about the ACBL?  :) (Besides 250 Million americans?)

Hi Roland, I think you overestimate the number of americans who care very much about the ACBL. Their membership numbers well below 200,000. Perhpas because of their often what appears to be arbitrary rules. Most clubs allow much more than what the ACBL rules as acceptable.
--Ben--

#5 User is offline   LukeG 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-14, 12:53

Hi PB,

Moscito is not GCC legal, in spite of what other posters may claim.  Look at GCC Responses and Rebids, item 3, which permits "Conventional responses which guarantee game forcing or better values, may NOT be part of a relay system" and GCC Definitions, item 3, which states "A sequence of relay bids is defined as a system if, after an opening bid of one of a suit, it is started prior to opener's rebid".

Does this mean that you can't play Moscito in a GCC event?  Well, you can always try but be prepared to have an opponent call a tournament director who will then prohibit your use of Moscito for the duration of the event.
Luke Gillespie

#6 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-April-14, 13:10

Hi PB,

Moscito is not GCC legal, in spite of what other posters may claim.  Look at GCC Responses and Rebids, item 3, which permits "Conventional responses which guarantee game forcing or better values, may NOT be part of a relay system" and GCC Definitions, item 3, which states "A sequence of relay bids is defined as a system if, after an opening bid of one of a suit, it is started prior to opener's rebid".

Does this mean that you can't play Moscito in a GCC event?  Well, you can always try but be prepared to have an opponent call a tournament director who will then prohibit your use of Moscito for the duration of the event.

I should note:
I never meant to imply that MOSCITO was GCC legal, although I did state that it was GCC legal to play multiple systems depending on seat/vulnerability.

Sadly, MOSCITO isn't even Mid Chart legal any more.
The powers that be eliminated the defenses to transfer openings from the Defensive Database, effectively banning the system.
Alderaan delenda est

#7 User is offline   pbleighton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2003-April-14, 13:13

Is this true of all versions of Moscito?

#8 User is offline   hrothgar 

Cooking
    Brewing
    Hiking

Posted 2003-April-14, 13:18

Is this true of all versions of Moscito?

You could develop a modification based on

1D = no 4 card major
1H = 4+ heats, might have 4+ spades
1S = 4+ Spades, might have 4 hearts

however, my guess is that the rules would be "adjusted" to ban this as well.
Alderaan delenda est

#9 User is offline   LukeG 

• PipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2003-April-14, 15:48

I should note:
I never meant to imply that MOSCITO was GCC legal, although I did state that it was GCC legal to play multiple systems depending on seat/vulnerability.

Sadly, MOSCITO isn't even Mid Chart legal any more.
The powers that be eliminated the defenses to transfer openings from the Defensive Database, effectively banning the system.

GCC doesn't even allow transfers in competition if your partner's last call was in a suit, unless you play said transfer as game forcing!  But it does allow you to play any convention under the sun in response to a 1NT opening bid or overcall, as long as the 1NT bidder doesn't commit the blasphemy of having fewer than the magic 10 HCP.
Luke Gillespie

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users