BBO Discussion Forums: Jumps/raises to 5M with both majors agreed - BBO Discussion Forums

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

Jumps/raises to 5M with both majors agreed

#1 User is offline   kfgauss 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-June-08, 18:27

In a bidding room, we had trouble with one of these, and my partner suggested (and possibly thinks is the standard meaning) that, when you've agreed both majors, a jump (or raise) to 5M in one of the majors should ask about the quality of the other major (assuming you've cuebid both or neither of the minors so it isn't needed for asking about a control in a specific minor).

This makes a lot of sense to me: you get to play the major with better suit quality if partner passes.

Is this something you've have heard of before and/or think is standard? (If not, is there a standard?)

Do you like this treatment?

Andy

#2 User is offline   keylime 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: FD TEAM
  • Interests:Motorsports, cricket, disc golf, and of course - bridge. :-)

Posted 2006-June-08, 19:59

There is something called 6A-RKCB that will allow you to ask about both majors for slam. Jumping to five on paper looks good, but I fear is prone for forgets because of the rarity of having both majors, with good hands, looking for slam.
"Champions aren't made in gyms, champions are made from something they have deep inside them - a desire, a dream, a vision. They have to have last-minute stamina, they have to be a little faster, they have to have the skill and the will. But the will must be stronger than the skill. " - M. Ali

#3 User is offline   kfgauss 

• PipPipPipPip
  • Group: Full Members

Posted 2006-June-08, 22:36

Six key works well, but there are times you won't want to or be able to use it, just like normal RKC doesn't make jumping/raising to 5M ineffective in single-agreement auctions (a frequent case is when you have a void).

A benefit of doing it with two agreed suits, though, is that you're in fact looking for suit quality *or pitches* -- for example, this Nov 1989 Challenge the Champs hand:

Scoring: MP

-- 1S
2H 3H
3S 4C
4D 4H
?

I will be the first to admit that making agreements based on CTC hands isn't great, but this agreement seems very logical and is hopefully easy to remember because you're actually bidding the suit you want to play (the reverse is basically unplayable).

Andy

#4 User is offline   SoTired 

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Group: Advanced Members

Posted 2006-June-09, 10:24

A common method is 5N when it cannot be GSF is "choice of slams".
It costs nothing to be nice -- my better half

#5 User is offline   pclayton 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip

Posted 2006-June-09, 10:54

6 ace key card is very effective in 1x - 2y - 3y - 3x auctions. In one partnership, this is the ONLY sequence I play it in.

Is it cumbersome? A little. But its better than trying to set too many default rules of "what are trump" in these auctions.
"Phil" on BBO

#6 User is offline   luke warm 

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:Bridge, poker, politics

Posted 2006-June-09, 21:23

i'm sorry, i know someone will jump on me for showing my favorite methods here, but i just had to

2S (5+ and 4+ clubs, 11-15) : 2nt (gf relay)
3S (5314) : 4C (asking)
4nt (5 controls) : 5c (spiral)
5d (no top spade or all 3) : 5h (scan)
5s (no top club or all 3) : 7H

he knows about AKQx in clubs, stiff diamond, Axx in hearts.. if opener had 4 controls, responder can pass 4 (if he wants).. with 3, he can pass 4, if he wants, and with 2 he can bid 4
"Paul Krugman is a stupid person's idea of what a smart person sounds like." Newt Gingrich (paraphrased)

#7 User is offline   kenrexford 

• Brain Farts and Actual Farts Increasing with Age
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • Interests:www.limadbc.blogspot.com editor/contributor

Posted 2006-June-10, 08:03

Personally, I strongly suggest avoidance of agreements where two majors can be "agreed" as trumps simultaneously. For example, 1S-P-2H-P-3H should agree hearts, with 1S-P-2H-P-3H-P-3S being a cuebid in support of hearts.

If that suggestion is not agreed, then this auction creates a problem in many respects. Whenever 4NT is later the call, 6KCB must be used, or some default "agreement" operates. Now you have a serious problem, as posed.

It makes more sense, to me, to at least assume that hearts, in this example, are agreed. Then, perhaps a later "weird" action should re-focus spades. Alternatively, assume that the higher-ranking is always the default, such that a call of slam in the lower-ranking suit is now a "choice" bid.
"Gibberish in, gibberish out. A trial judge, three sets of lawyers, and now three appellate judges cannot agree on what this law means. And we ask police officers, prosecutors, defense lawyers, and citizens to enforce or abide by it? The legislature continues to write unreadable statutes. Gibberish should not be enforced as law."

-P.J. Painter.

Page 1 of 1
  • You cannot start a new topic
  • You cannot reply to this topic

1 User(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users